Author Topic: 3-D printed firearm fired for the first time.  (Read 6373 times)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: 3-D printed firearm fired for the first time.
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 02:16:02 am »
was the gun control part necessary Damen :(
This guy is insane btw

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2013, 10:13:38 pm »
Printers that can not only print guns, but print other printers?  ...This has "bad made-for-TV sci-fi movie" written all over it.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 02:01:26 am »
Self replicating machine is one of the goals in 3-D printing. Although it wouldn't just pop out the exact copy, instead it would make all the parts one by one and you'd still have to assemble the new printer.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2013, 05:20:38 pm »
Self replicating machine is one of the goals in 3-D printing. Although it wouldn't just pop out the exact copy, instead it would make all the parts one by one and you'd still have to assemble the new printer.

Once we get an automated assembly line for the parts...well, I'll stay on our new machine masters' good sides.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2013, 05:57:33 am »
Printers that can not only print guns, but print other printers?  ...This has "bad made-for-TV sci-fi movie" written all over it.

Yo dawg, I heard you like printers...

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 02:45:57 pm »
When can we expect an SMG?

Or something to compete with the AK for "Outlaw's Choice".

It'll take a long time. The first 3D printed "guns" were simply lower receivers (the part that's legally considered a gun for an AR-15 build) mated to metal parts for the rest. And they were chambered in .22LR, one of the lowest powered commercially available rounds. Plastic is still limited in its tolerance for heat (especially from friction) and the sheer force of firing a load of smokeless powder. There's a video on Youtube of a 5.56mm printed receiver being used, and it repeatedly malfunctioned before finally separating both halves in his hands.

Printing an entire gun is only practical for a criminal who only needs a few shots in its lifetime, or never even intends to fire it and just wants to use it as a threat that's more useful in an emergency than a $5 springer airsoft pistol. The gun won't last long before it's no longer serviceable. And 3D printers still aren't exactly cheap, so you'd probably be better off simply buying a regular gun from one of the countless black market dealers. The days of the Mafia having massive 3D printing shops making assault rifles, or a poor thug printing up a submachine gun in Compton, are still pretty far ahead.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.