Author Topic: Cheap super effective birth control... for men?  (Read 6407 times)

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
Cheap super effective birth control... for men?
« on: January 09, 2013, 09:24:40 pm »
http://techcitement.com/culture/the-best-birth-control-in-the-world-is-for-men/#.UO4jPW9pcmv

If I were going to describe the perfect contraceptive, it would go something like this: no babies, no latex, no daily pill to remember, no hormones to interfere with mood or sex drive, no negative health effects whatsoever, and 100 percent effectiveness. The funny thing is, something like that currently exists.

The procedure called RISUG in India (reversible inhibition of sperm under guidance) takes about 15 minutes with a doctor, is effective after about three days, and lasts for 10 or more years. A doctor applies some local anesthetic, makes a small pinhole in the base of the scrotum, reaches in with a pair of very thin forceps, and pulls out the small white vas deferens tube. Then, the doctor injects the polymer gel (called Vasalgel here in the US), pushes the vas deferens back inside, repeats the process for the other vas deferens, puts a Band-Aid over the small hole, and the man is on his way. If this all sounds incredibly simple and inexpensive, that’s because it is. The chemicals themselves cost less than the syringe used to administer them.

The science behind it is pretty badass too.

The two common chemicals — styrene maleic anhydride and dimethyl sulfoxide — form a polymer that thickens over the next 72 hours, much like a pliable epoxy, but the purpose of these chemicals isn’t to harden and block the vas deferens. Instead, the polymer lines the wall of the vas deferens and allows sperm to flow freely down the middle (this prevents any pressure buildup),  and because of the polymer’s pattern of negative/positive polarization, the sperm are torn apart through the polyelectrolytic effect. On a molecular level, it’s what supervillains envision will happen when they stick the good guy between two huge magnets and flip the switch.

Oh, and it's also reversible if you decide you're ready to make a baby:

With one little injection, this non-toxic jelly will sit there for 10+ years without you having to do anything else to not have babies. Set it and forget it. Oh, and when you do decide you want those babies, it only takes one other injection of water and baking soda to flush out the gel, and within two to three months, you’ve got all your healthy sperm again.

Though, I would still recommend using like a condom or something to protect against STDs, for couples or people who you know are clean, this would be huge if more people knew about it.  And although I think this is awesome, I am curious to if it's been proven how well it actually works.  But if it does, "Fuck yeah science!".
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Re: Cheap super effective birth control... for men?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:47:17 am »
Would it be wrong to advocate making this mandatory at age 13? Because this is a near perfect solution to teen pregnancy. And pregnancy in general. But still, the potential for no children until the person in question has at least a BA? Too good to pass up.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 12:56:57 am »
This is awesome!

And yet the mere description of the process has decided to make me go into an anxiety attack.

I don't have an anxiety attack disorder... not as far as I know.

Sorry, if anyone is cutting any part of me open, I am going to be unconscious for it.  Or at least barely conscious.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Yumeji

• Neonate
  • Asserted without proof = dismissed without proof.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 12:59:34 am »
Would it be wrong to advocate making this mandatory at age 13? Because this is a near perfect solution to teen pregnancy. And pregnancy in general. But still, the potential for no children until the person in question has at least a BA? Too good to pass up.

Damn that's a good idea. I would love for that to come to pass, however I'm sure no one would be able to get it mandated... ―(T_T)→

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 01:16:24 am »

Damn that's a good idea. I would love for that to come to pass, however I'm sure no one would be able to get it mandated... ―(T_T)→
Oh, I'm sure it wouldn't. Those abstinence only fucks would have a heart attack at the idea. Not that I would deny encouraging their children to have unrestricted sex (with appropriate STI prevention measures), but still...

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 04:06:37 am »
This is awesome!

And yet the mere description of the process has decided to make me go into an anxiety attack.

I don't have an anxiety attack disorder... not as far as I know.

Sorry, if anyone is cutting any part of me open, I am going to be unconscious for it.  Or at least barely conscious.

Have you ever had surgery under local anesthetic?  It's really not that bad.  The worst pain comes from the lidocaine needle... then immediately after that first stick, you feel next to nothing.  (You can feel pressure, but not pain, really).

This is a pretty cool idea.  Very cool indeed.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 05:08:39 am »
That's a fucking brilliant idea.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:28:53 am »
I want this. So hard.

*ducks thrown objects resulting from pun*
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 06:55:20 pm »
I'd be all for this! I don't want kids, but I don't want to get snipped either.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 10:18:31 pm »
Uh, that "No kids til you've got a BA" idea? No.

Just, no.

For one thing, that would mean I couldn't have kids.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 11:31:41 pm »

Just, no.

They probably mean "old enough to be able to GET a BA"

... I'd hope.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 11:49:36 pm »

Just, no.

They probably mean "old enough to be able to GET a BA"

... I'd hope.
That's exactly what I meant. Perform this procedure at 13, it wears off at 23. More than enough time to graduate high school and get a 4yr degree before adding another parasite to this planet.

Offline Atheissimo

• Bishop
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 08:23:47 am »
A doctor applies some local anesthetic, makes a small pinhole in the base of the scrotum, reaches in with a pair of very thin forceps, and pulls out the small white vas deferens tube.

Made it this far.

DO NOT WANT
'You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord.' - Sir Patrick Stewart

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 04:03:01 pm »
Wusses.  Sounds not even as bad as a vasectomy.  :p

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 05:13:06 pm »
Hate to be all gossipy, but I'm wondering what MRA's think of this.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!