Author Topic: Reid calls down the Nuclear Option  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
Reid calls down the Nuclear Option
« on: November 21, 2013, 10:45:40 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/22/us/politics/reid-sets-in-motion-steps-to-limit-use-of-filibuster.html?hp&_r=3&

Pass me more of them neocon tears. Reid has effectively shut down the filibuster, much to the ire of the GOP. And how does the GOP threaten to act? Very much the way they already were acting. Of course. By holding up the government and throwing a temper tantrum.

I'm gonna need more popcorn. This passion play our government is putting on is turning into a farce.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Reid calls down the Nuclear Option
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 11:54:15 pm »
He should've changed the filibuster rules back in 2007 or 2009 when Republicans would have had no chance of halting legislation. Alas, what could have been...
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 12:21:38 am »
He should've changed the filibuster rules back in 2007 or 2009 when Republicans would have had no chance of halting legislation. Alas, what could have been...

Did the Republicans have a reputation of using filibuster this much? It is my understanding that though filibuster had been used before it wasn't until Obama being elected that the Republicans began to filibuster EVERYTHING.

Besides, birthers and many others were already going crazy over Obama "becoming a tyrant" so if they had removed filibuster at the start of his term they would have probably had spontaneous orgasms.

Now Democrats can point to all those years of childish bickering and stalling to explain why they want to get rid of filibuster.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 01:00:55 am »
It wouldn't made a huge difference the filabuster is still there just not for nominations

QueenofHearts

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 10:17:17 am »
It wouldn't made a huge difference the filabuster is still there just not for nominations

It is a big deal. Not only can Obama now appoint executive positions with impunity to positions like the National Labor Review Board or federal courts, but should Kennedy (79), Scalia (77), or Thomas (65) pass away or step down, we can get a liberal majority on the Supreme Court. Huge implications accompany this minor change.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 10:23:18 am »

It is a big deal. Not only can Obama now appoint executive positions with impunity to positions like the National Labor Review Board or federal courts, but should Kennedy (79), Scalia (77), or Thomas (65) pass away or step down, we can get a liberal majority on the Supreme Court. Huge implications accompany this minor change.

Executive positions and most federal courts, yes, but not the Supreme Court:

The new precedent established by the Senate on Thursday does not apply to Supreme Court nominations or legislation itself.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 10:30:24 am »
Yeah, specifically excludes SCOTUS nominees...

Seeing that under Obama, senate filibusters number over seventy five is face/palm-inducing. Although I hate the source of the rule, changing the Senate rules to require on-topic only filibusters (Texas state assembly) would have effectively squelched this trend as well. Can you imagine an idiot like Ted Cruz staying on topic? For more than an hour? No Dr. Seuss books?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 10:32:02 am »
Hence why reading articles in their entirety is important.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 10:39:53 am »
Hey, it totally made me hang my head and groan when I read that exclusion. If only, goddammit, if only...
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 10:47:54 am »
Hey, it totally made me hang my head and groan when I read that exclusion. If only, goddammit, if only...

That's probably because Reid couldn't have gotten the necessary support from Democratic Senators who wanted to retain the power to block a Republican President's Supreme Court nominees in the event of a Republican Senate majority at that time. Same reason it doesn't apply to legislation.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 05:45:29 pm »
Yeah you gotta take what you can get and this is the best we're gonna get from Reid at the moment.

Ironbite-the man is so spineless I wish we could get a new Majority leader.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 06:36:04 pm »
Because having a measure in place to keep a potential Republican president from having too much power is what counts for being "spineless" nowadays.  He who fights monsters...
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 10:54:41 pm »
Yeah you gotta take what you can get and this is the best we're gonna get from Reid at the moment.

Ironbite-the man is so spineless I wish we could get a new Majority leader.

I think it was a smart move.  It's looking more and more unlikely that Obama will get to nominate a Supreme Court justice.   There is still a possibility that after his term we could have a Republican in the White House.

If anything this may calm the GOP in their other filibuster threats.  If it doesn't, well Reid can always fire another shot.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 12:20:47 am »
At this stage, nothing will calm the mad Elephant. It's an enemy to be fought,
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 12:39:17 am »
At this stage, nothing will calm the mad Elephant. It's an enemy to be fought,

Just as long as we don't become the mad Donkey while doing so.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet