Author Topic: Keith Olbermann Fired...Again  (Read 2895 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
Keith Olbermann Fired...Again
« on: April 01, 2012, 08:16:41 am »
I like the guy, however I can't think of any reason to defend him either. 

Keith Olbermann may have departed from Current, but the war between the two sides is just getting started.

It was clear from the moment that the fledgling cable news channel announced on Friday that it had "ended" its relationship with Olbermann that this was a particularly nasty breakup. Olbermann is known for acrimonious exits, but even his falling out with MSNBC 14 months ago seemed positively sunny in comparison to the bile being tossed between him and his Current bosses.

Current's statement, signed by co-founders Al Gore and Joel Hyatt, was unusually personal. Without even a trace of the forced "we wish him well" bits usually found in such things, the two men laid into Olbermann, saying he had violated Current's "values of respect, openness, collegiality, and loyalty to our viewers."

It is not every day that a Nobel Peace Prize winner makes such angry claims against you in public, but Olbermann has never been one to shy away from a fight. Sure enough, within less than an hour he had released a statement of his own, vowing to sue Current for firing him... Other reports painted Current as disorganized and shambolic; it's well known that Olbermann became enraged at repeated technical failures and what he saw as a crippling under-investment in his show.

Olbermann also attacked Hyatt personally.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/31/keith-olbermann-fired-current-war_n_1393799.html

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
Re: Keith Olbermann Fired...Again
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 08:55:40 am »

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 11:08:23 am »
I like the guy, however I can't think of any reason to defend him either.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:35:53 am »
The new guy is......Spitzer really Gore?

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 01:27:06 pm »
I love Keith, but a lot of people who've worked with him say he's an asshole.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 08:04:43 pm »
The new guy is......Spitzer really Gore?
Spitzer isn't that bad, other than the "I like the Call Girls" shit, he was feared by Wall Street. He should've never gone after "johns", when he himself was a "john"

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 12:15:53 pm »
Y'know. Maybe Keith should just do his own thing online where he has total creative control. He seems to be the "Roger Waters of Journalism"....a guy with much to offer & say & a lot of great Progressive ideas but who is an unpleasant control freak with the personality of a category 5 hurricane (though Roger seems to have mellowed a bit in his old age).

Moral of the story....control your ego & try to be kind, respect is earned & noone like a jerk.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 10:34:23 pm »
I think there's a reason he's been compared to Glenn Beck, except left wing.

Eh, he seems like a political pundit, apologies to those who like him.  Rachel Maddow is funny, but she's dangerously close to the same thing.  ... However, I like HER because she's an ass to people I don't like.

Hypocritical?  Yeah.  Oh well.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 10:53:05 pm »

Eh, he seems like a political pundit, apologies to those who like him.  Rachel Maddow is funny, but she's dangerously close to the same thing.  ... However, I like HER because she's an ass to people I don't like.

I'm not a huge Olbermann fan because, let's face it, he's a pompous ass. He highlights the right issues and everything but he's so damn full of himself it's no wonder he gets his ass bounced from network to network. That said, there's a huge difference between Glenn Beck and Keith Olbermann. I don't think Olbermann is a racist, he's not a conspiratorial red-baiter, and (his temperament aside) I don't think Olbermann is a psychotic man-child without any ethics whatsoever.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 03:26:57 pm »
and from everything I hear, unlike Keith, Rachel Maddow is apparently pleasant and awesome, even to those she disagrees with.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 03:30:12 pm »
and from everything I hear, unlike Keith, Rachel Maddow is apparently pleasant and awesome, even to those she disagrees with.
That too.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 03:44:26 pm »

I'm not a huge Olbermann fan because, let's face it, he's a pompous ass. He highlights the right issues and everything but he's so damn full of himself it's no wonder he gets his ass bounced from network to network. That said, there's a huge difference between Glenn Beck and Keith Olbermann. I don't think Olbermann is a racist, he's not a conspiratorial red-baiter, and (his temperament aside) I don't think Olbermann is a psychotic man-child without any ethics whatsoever.

I would like to add that Kieth uses facts, statistics, and logic to prove his points. Glenn Beck notoriously uses strawmen, circular logic, guilt by association, and when all else fails he would just yell over people and act as though he made a valid point.

As much as I know Kieth to be a pompous ass behind the scenes, I still liked him. Not many people take the media to task for its conservative bias and it was nice to hear an unapologetic and unwavering liberal voice of reason.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 11:43:57 pm »
I think that's what I like about Rachel Maddow.  She's viciously polite.

As far as Keith goes, well, that's good for him.  Still not a fan of him.

Or MSNBC for that matter, but that might be off topic.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 04:11:47 pm »
This reminds me of this article, which quite reasonably points out the utter lack of talent that seems to be in American journalism. Swap in British names and it'd apply in the UK too.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 05:52:35 pm »
Replace every journalist with Jon Stewart and every right-wing pundit with Stephen Colbert. Problem solved.