Author Topic: Atheist becomes fundie christian preacher and conspiracy theorist.  (Read 15857 times)

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
Re: Atheist becomes fundie christian preacher and conspiracy theorist.
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2014, 07:51:33 pm »
Why does such a damn nice hat, that I wear, no less, have to be associated with such idiots?
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2014, 09:06:33 pm »
Why does such a damn nice hat, that I wear, no less, have to be associated with such idiots?

It's a half-hearted attempt to look as intelligent as they believe themselves to be.

Ironically, it does make them look exactly as intelligent as they actually are.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Kain

• God
  • The Alkaline one
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 04:20:48 am »
lel
In paranoia I find genius / But the ice-dreams have come
with spiritless consequence / A hatchet has been hidden
between my eyes / A hatchet gift-wrapped in paranoia / A
wooden heart never bleeds / A wooden heart never bleeds,
yet inextricable thoughts still weave / Introspection
fabricated for battle / No time has been wasted
/ Neuroleptic seconds marry electroconvulsive hours / In
the cranial freezer, paranoia is the bastard and I
find genius Petrify / Paralyze

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 07:43:02 am »
Wow, you know you're at the bottom of the totem pole when you get fucking served by UP.

RavynousHunter, you don't know what you're talking about.

Aww, you're adorable, thinking your nonsense deserves an actual response.  I could just pinch your wittle cheekies!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 12:05:58 pm »
I heard somewhere that extremists are more likely to go to the opposite extreme than to moderation.

Yeah, that tends to happen when people consider religious claims seriously. Moderation is the land of compartmentalization and going-through-the-motions.
Because Fred Rogers was such a fanatic.  This may shock you, but somebody can be devoutly religious without being a frummer.

No, they really can't. Religion claims a monopoly on absolute truth, and when your scriptures have poison in them, you either:
a) reject the religion wholesale
b) follow it to the letter
c) compartmentalize and try not to think about the glaring contradictions

A and B are serious approaches. C is mainly done only for social approval.

The world isn't black & white, sweetness.

Call it what it is, a Trilby, not a Fedora.

Frankly, Fedoras are much more stylish & classy. Reclaim the Fedora! Ditch the Trilby!

Back to the subject, there needs to be more stories of Wingnuts becoming Progressives. There's all these stories of of allegedly Progressive/Liberal/Lefty/Apolitical/Moonbat/Hippie/Counterculture Types/etc. going Wingnut. I'm sick of it! What's the appeal?! I'm a zillion times happier than I was as a Bible-butt. I'm free & open!
I mean.....The guy from Midnight Oil, Dennis Miller, Jerry Rubin, Rick Springfield, Maureen Tucker, Charlton Heston, that NeoPagan artist that turned into a Bible-Butt and went on The 700 Club, That NeoPagan Witch that had her own reality show....now this guy!

.....and he's become an anti-Semite, too!

Wingnuts are the real-life, BORG!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 02:18:15 pm by SpukiKitty »

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 12:28:11 pm »

I'll archive this little tidbit away for post-election day when the GOP will win a Senate majority and you will go into rant-mode.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2014, 12:37:52 pm »

I'll archive this little tidbit away for post-election day when the GOP will win a Senate majority and you will go into rant-mode.

And I will ignore everything you say from now on, my widdle contrarian troll, you *pinches your cheek*. 8)

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 12:58:08 pm »
Spuki, I used to be a fundamentalist Christian. Not quite a fundie, I guess, but a fundamentalist. And I'm a secularist now and a proud progressive (on most issues). So, there's a warm fuzzy I guess.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2014, 01:04:13 pm »
Spuki, I used to be a fundamentalist Christian. Not quite a fundie, I guess, but a fundamentalist. And I'm a secularist now and a proud progressive (on most issues). So, there's a warm fuzzy I guess.

Are you "fuzzy", now or are you saying the fuzz was frummer-fuzz?

There needs to be stories of wingnuts turning Left. They need to be out there so Righties don't feel all big-headed.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 01:13:09 pm »

There needs to be stories of wingnuts turning Left. They need to be out there so Righties don't feel all big-headed.
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize I'd used something bordering on an inside joke, but basically when I was in college, I was part of the Resident Student Association, and we had a thing called "warm and fuzzies", which is basically either a compliment or something you say to someone that makes them feel, well, you know, warm and fuzzy. I slipped up when I used it there.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 01:27:22 pm »

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize I'd used something bordering on an inside joke, but basically when I was in college, I was part of the Resident Student Association, and we had a thing called "warm and fuzzies", which is basically either a compliment or something you say to someone that makes them feel, well, you know, warm and fuzzy. I slipped up when I used it there.

You're complementing me? Thankies, my friend. You're fuzzy, too.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 07:36:04 pm »
I heard somewhere that extremists are more likely to go to the opposite extreme than to moderation.

Yeah, that tends to happen when people consider religious claims seriously. Moderation is the land of compartmentalization and going-through-the-motions.
Because Fred Rogers was such a fanatic.  This may shock you, but somebody can be devoutly religious without being a frummer.

No, they really can't. Religion claims a monopoly on absolute truth, and when your scriptures have poison in them, you either:

Frankly, Fedoras are much more stylish & classy. Reclaim the Fedora! Ditch the Trilby!

Back to the subject, there needs to be more stories of Wingnuts becoming Progressives. There's all these stories of of allegedly Progressive/Liberal/Lefty/Apolitical/Moonbat/Hippie/Counterculture Types/etc. going Wingnut. I'm sick of it! What's the appeal?! I'm a zillion times happier than I was as a Bible-butt. I'm free & open!
I mean.....The guy from Midnight Oil, Dennis Miller, Jerry Rubin, Rick Springfield, Maureen Tucker, Charlton Heston, that NeoPagan artist that turned into a Bible-Butt and went on The 700 Club, That NeoPagan Witch that had her own reality show....now this guy!

Don't forget Ted Nugent and Charlie Daniels.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2014, 11:21:08 pm »
Relax. Within the entertainment industry (and pundits do qualify, don't think they don't), you tend to have mostly what would be called progressives, so anyone who became conservative as time went on would stand out. Plenty of the people who are outspoken progressives/secularists now used to be conservative/fundamentalists, probably when they were children.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2014, 11:47:31 pm »

Don't forget Ted Nugent and Charlie Daniels.

Oh, GAWD, yes! *hoogh*

Here's an early example from decades ago, classic newspaper comic strip artist Al Capp, the guy behind Li'l Abner. Started off a Progressive guy who lampooned Big Business/Right-Wingers/Fascists/etc. only to turn proto-Limbaugh in the 1960's.

Then there's the comic B.C.

Relax. Within the entertainment industry (and pundits do qualify, don't think they don't), you tend to have mostly what would be called progressives, so anyone who became conservative as time went on would stand out. Plenty of the people who are outspoken progressives/secularists now used to be conservative/fundamentalists, probably when they were children.

At least that's something to consider. Katy & Miley come to mind. Katy Perry used to be a Christian pop singer named Kate Hudson. Miley's the daughter of the Achy Breaky Guy & used to spout some "holy & wholesome" stuff.

Perhaps these are dumb examples.

That said, perhaps Cons-turned-Libs don't toot their horns like Libs-turned-Cons do.

Also, some of the latter are likely opportunists who see $$$ or attention in being a wingnut, were never really Progressive to begin with ('Rocker' does not always mean 'Liberal', just ask the late Johnny Ramone or much of the Norwegian Black Metal scene...or hate-label Resistance Records) or were old guys who lost step with changing generations and just got cranky. Perhaps some are selfish types who saw that the Right-Wing fit them more. Perhaps Jerry Ruben was a member of CONTELPRO. The guy who runs the W.B.C now was originally a secular guy who wanted to do an anti-W.B.C documentary but realized that he found a way to indulge in his latent psychopathy, so he joined and eventually the usurper/leader.

.....and some are messed up & confused like Michelle Schocked.

But some may be earnest & perhaps took "Left-Wing" to mean "permissive", had issues with addiction and lack of direction and somehow found happiness in restriction.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:06:30 am by SpukiKitty »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2014, 05:06:25 am »

These guys beg to differ.

On both counts.