Author Topic: Why Are Black People Christian More Often Than Other People?  (Read 18001 times)

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
Why Are Black People Christian More Often Than Other People?
« on: October 05, 2012, 07:07:52 pm »
I mean no disrespect to black people or Christians, but it's always made me wonder.  They were enslaved and Christianity enforced upon their ancestors (most of them).  You'd think they're would be a large movement saying "we're not slaves anymore, let's cast off the chains of Christianity" or even "Let's get back to our roots and embrace traditional African religions."  But yet you see higher percentages of Christians among African-Americans compared to white people.

It would be understandable if it was the result of a high amount of gratitude towards that part of Christianity that preached against slavery and stood up for social justice, but then you'd expect black Christians to be more socially progressive than other Christians, when this is not the case. There is less tolerance for gay people among black Christians than other Christians (though it's not like whites have a stellar record there either).

And then when you look over at Africa it seems like nobody dares raise the objection that "homophobia" is a western cultural import and that practicing it means they are still in a way being controlled by the colonizers. In fact in complete disregard for history many speakers claim that "homosexuality" was imported, even though there are even tribes in Africa where homosexuals were traditionally seen as playing an important religious role.

Is this some sort of strange sociological variation of Stockholm Syndrome?

Offline Kain

• God
  • The Alkaline one
Re: Why Are Black People Christian More Often Than Other People?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 07:11:23 pm »
inb4 shitstorm
In paranoia I find genius / But the ice-dreams have come
with spiritless consequence / A hatchet has been hidden
between my eyes / A hatchet gift-wrapped in paranoia / A
wooden heart never bleeds / A wooden heart never bleeds,
yet inextricable thoughts still weave / Introspection
fabricated for battle / No time has been wasted
/ Neuroleptic seconds marry electroconvulsive hours / In
the cranial freezer, paranoia is the bastard and I
find genius Petrify / Paralyze

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 07:12:19 pm »
inb4 shitstorm

So it begins... the great shitstorm of our time.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 07:13:29 pm »
Alex I'll take education for $1000
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 07:59:19 pm »
.....I got nothing and I'm black so yeah  I'm just gonna avoid this like the plague.

Saturn500

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 08:13:01 pm »
...Yeah, I'm staying out of this. In fact, this thread is now about "yo mama" jokes.

Yo mama so dumb, she flunked kindergarten!

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 08:24:10 pm »
Boy, this didn't escalate at all immediately.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 08:41:02 pm »
*takes a drink*

... what? none of you have heard the latest addition to the FSTDT drinking game? every time Reasonator says something stupid, take a drink!

And my best friend is both black and jewish.  Fuck you very much.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 09:12:21 pm »
This is now a Batman thread:

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 09:55:15 pm »
I thought they teach world history in high school . . .
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 09:58:33 pm »
I actually think this is an interesting question. Best guess, Western attitudes achieved dominance long enough to become the new norm. And there has been some pushback - the Nation of Islam might be an example.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Carnivore_Rabbit

• Neonate
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 10:08:25 pm »
I actually think this is an interesting question. Best guess, Western attitudes achieved dominance long enough to become the new norm. And there has been some pushback - the Nation of Islam might be an example.

You know, I've always find it funny when someone from the NOI tells me my name is a slave name and I have to remind them that Arabs plundered Africa for slaves long before Western Europeans. 

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 11:42:34 pm »
I don't think it's in spite of racism and dominance, but rather because of it. Christianity tells people that it doesn't matter what their race or economic status is, they can go to heaven if they have faith. When people are in poverty or discriminated against it probably feels good that their position is irrelevant to the creator of the universe and they'll be in a better place when it all ends. It also gives them a tighter sense of community.

...Yeah, I'm staying out of this. In fact, this thread is now about "yo mama" jokes.

Yo mama so dumb, she flunked kindergarten!

Yo mama so fat, when she wore a yellow dress she was mistaken for a school bus.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 12:03:48 am by Cataclysm »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 11:50:43 pm »
You know, I've always find it funny when someone from the NOI tells me my name is a slave name and I have to remind them that Arabs plundered Africa for slaves long before Western Europeans. 
That and a lot of Europeans bought their slaves from other Africans. A few of the more enterprising African tribes worked out that they can sell slaves to the Europeans, use the money to buy modern weapons and then use the weapons to raid neighbouring tribes for more slaves.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 11:57:15 pm »
I've actually had someone explain this as a remnant of the civil rights movement, the churches were generally seen as one of the few places a black person could go in a group and not be harassed so everyone generally went even if they didn't particularly care for it.  It built up the community, and so if you weren't at the church like all the others, you weren't part of the community and were seen as an outsider.