Author Topic: Largest gay mass murder in U.S. History 40 years later.  (Read 7741 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Largest gay mass murder in U.S. History 40 years later.
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 08:29:05 pm »
Honey let me give this to you straight.  You're not an adult.  You want to be, but you're not.  You tend to fly off the handle and act very fundieish at the drop of a hat and then sit around wide-eyed and wondering why the crap you just left on the floor has everyone looking at you funny.  That's why we don't accept you.  Most of us are adults here.  And those who aren't, tend to be very mature for their age.  You...you're not.

Ironbite-and that's disheartning.

Honey, I'm 38 years old. I'm much older than you think and, no, I do not have a learning disability.

Ironbite-

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 08:35:26 pm »
...Um at the risk of creating a bigger shitstorm (And gods forbid I do that...again) can we please go back to the topic?

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 08:40:39 pm »
<snark>
<meme>

sigh...

Anyway, as soon as I get a stipend payment , think I'm gonna go to indigogo and make a little contribution. This documentary project sounds really worthwhile, and it's very timely, what with the upsurge in panicky condemnations from the fringey/fundie side against LGBTQs lately. It's worrisome, because panicky bigots can be violent bigots, as history shows again and again. Making the public aware of this past atrocity, and the very fact that it IS relatively unknown, really underscores the need for people to not just watch and wait, but make up their minds to vote for and support human rights legislation.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 08:44:22 pm »
Yeah let's get back on topic...

It's interesting to me how these cases can become cold and unsolvable. I guess it's because I just find crime to be fascinating and how some things can slide by for so many years.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 08:47:20 pm »
I'm just surprised that it happened in my home city, but then again I'm not as into the New Orleans gay scene as I wish I was.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 08:53:07 pm »
The cool thing though is the tech today can possibly give us some answers, if this case gets enough notoriety to put impetus behind re-examining it.

They are saying in the article that the prime suspect committed suicide a year later. I'm gonna dig around on the web and see if there is a name. I hope it's not a case of deliberate obfuscation on the part of the investigation all those years ago, because, yeah, could be a bit too convenient. Just "a bunch of fags got burned up. Arsonist died. Case closed, people, move along, nothing to see here." That's really not a paranoid notion. The bigotry was intense back then.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 09:04:39 pm »
Spuki has explained in the past, repeatedly, that she has an ongoing challenge with mental illness and also has to struggle to pay for her meds. If her posts annoy you, ignore them. What she posted just now is so clear and clean and heartfelt, and I have never seen her attack or disparage any forum member here. She always apologizes, even when it really is unnecessary. Snark is fine, it's just a small forum, who cares. Some of the personal attacks and disparagement are bad enough to poke a finger in the eye of the forum rules, IIRC . Mature, adult responses don't normally include snide wording and utter dismissal of the person. Now, feel free to diss me for defending her. And confirm what she just said. The snark backs at Spuki are frankly a bit more annoying to read, so I usually skip them. Sigh...all this within a thread condemning hatred and intolerance.

Thank you for standing up for me. You're a real life-saver & a real friend. Thanks! :)

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 09:46:57 pm »
De nada, hon !

<I think I has something stuck in mah eye>

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 03:28:59 am »
The act as atrocious as it may be is interesting in its own right.
I know that buildings have maximum capacities because of fire hazards, and that so many people were unable to escape is a good indication that there were just too many people. To my understanding though this would be from an era when such codes and regulations didn't exist or were not enforced.

It is fascinating how times have changed. What we see now as a great tragedy, at the time was probably seen as a just end by the people around there. Hence the little to no effort in dealing with the crime.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 10:19:18 am »
The act as atrocious as it may be is interesting in its own right.
I know that buildings have maximum capacities because of fire hazards, and that so many people were unable to escape is a good indication that there were just too many people. To my understanding though this would be from an era when such codes and regulations didn't exist or were not enforced.

It is fascinating how times have changed. What we see now as a great tragedy, at the time was probably seen as a just end by the people around there. Hence the little to no effort in dealing with the crime.

The fact that people today are appalled means we're not doomed as a nation.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 01:04:25 pm »
One of the reasons I still aspire to be a forensic anthropologist is because of things like this that get pushed to the side. Wanted to be forgotten so they are.

The fact that it happened in Nawleans isn't surprising. Not because it's the South (oh boy, hello bayou) but because of the history of the city itself. Lots of stuff has gone on in New Orleans that people would rather forget.

Interesting and sad to know that people would rather ignore it.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 04:12:02 pm »
One thing that breaks my heart is also that this was a gathering of members of the Metropolitan Community Church, a progressive LGBT christian denomination & they were raising money to help the underprivileged in the area, which makes this even more sad.

Pastor Bill Larson was the gentleman who was caught in the window and burned to death.

Here are the photos. Out of basic decency & discretion I have put them in spoilers.

First photo, a far shot. The whole front of the building. Larson's body is in the bottom of the lower-center window.
(click to show/hide)

Close up of window. Larson's body on the left & firefighter on right. Larson appears recognizable but everything below the chest (off camera) is gone.
(click to show/hide)

A small exhibit about the tragedy on the wall featuring the above close-up photo.
(click to show/hide)

It really speaks of the people's homophobic hatred when nobody bothered to cover Larson's remains with a tarp out of respect for him or others. It's like they wanted to humiliate him, torment his family & for goons to oogle & jeer at him as some "example".

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 04:43:44 pm »
I hope the smoke got him before the fire did.  Makes me shudder to think about what his and the other dead's last moments were like.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 04:47:06 pm »
Unfortunately, he was conscious for the most part until trauma shock made him pass out; he had air to breathe. Witnesses heard him screaming in pain.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 04:48:40 pm »
Damn.

My God.