Author Topic: Happy Thoughts Requested  (Read 1109 times)

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
Happy Thoughts Requested
« on: March 15, 2013, 07:11:44 pm »
My wife and mother-in-law could use some happy thoughts right about now...

My wife's aunt (MiL's older sister) found out not long ago that her breast cancer (which had been in remission) was back. But before she could start chemo, she had to have surgery to remove a benign brain tumor. She had the surgery, and started chemo last week.

Saturday, we found out she had been admitted to the hospital for what we were told was pneumonia. We found out Monday that it was actually a pulmonary embolism. We found out last night that the clot is still there. (We found out today that it is sitting where the pulmonary artery splits to go to each lung.)

Today, my MiL, FiL, wife, and MiL's brother went to the hospital to see my wife's aunt. Although the aunt may be able to leave the hospital by the end of next week, she will have to go to an extended care facility. As long as she has the clot, she cannot restart chemo. (She is on blood thinner and other meds to reduce the clot, but that takes time.) The cancer has spread more than I knew, into her lymph nodes, bone, and somewhere else I don't remember. If she sits up, her has difficulty breathing. She managed to get out of bed this morning, but had to sit down almost immediately. After that, it took about 2 hours for her to get her breathing back to "normal."

The doctor bluntly told brother, FiL, and me that she will die of cancer. (We followed the doctor out of the room to talk to him.) There is pretty much no chance that it will go into remission again. She's lucky she's still alive, as the location of the clot she had normally kills the person before they get to the hospital. As it is, she really isn't improving much, and what little improvement she has had has been very slow. (The doctor said he had hoped she would be up and moving by today.)

Aunt has refused to discuss hospice, which leads me to think she plans to fight as hard as she can. But with the complications she already has and not being able to restart chemo, I don't know how well she will be able to fight.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:14:40 am by erictheblue »
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Happy Thoughts Requested
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 07:34:03 pm »
Be sending all the positive vibes, prayers, happy thoughts, whatever I can, to your wife's Aunt.   I hope things turn out as best they can.

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 08:06:23 pm »
*huggles*
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 01:14:03 am »
That's really sad to hear. I hope things are peaceful for her, one way or another.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 02:48:39 pm »
sending good vibes... yikes...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."