Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2012  (Read 2155 times)

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
NaNoWriMo 2012
« on: October 16, 2012, 12:20:28 am »
National Novel Writing Month challenges participants to write a 50,000-word novel during the month of November. This boils down to 1,667 words per day.

Do you have a story idea that's been bouncing around in your head for a while, but you've always put off writing it down? Do you have the sheer strength of will necessary to write an entire novel in a single month? Do you have nothing better to do? Then join 200,000 other writers across the globe in strapping down and bringing that great novel you just know is inside of you to life.

NaNoWriMo focuses on quantity over quality. Too many people write a few pages and get discouraged. NaNo's philosophy is that you have your entire life to refine, rewrite and improve, but first you have to get the story out of your head and on paper.

Is anyone else planning to participate?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:40:54 am by TigerHunter »

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
Re: NaNoWriMo 2012
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 01:23:31 am »
I'm not doing NaNoWriMo per se, but I've got some short stories I'll be working on. One was born out of the defunct Shifting Worlds project.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 04:58:48 am »
do it every year, ever since '99.  You think I'm going to skip now?

... even if I do run my own NaNo event in August...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline eldritchMortician

• Neonate
  • Waiting for the TARDIS
    • eldritchMortician's Slab
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 06:31:10 am »
I'm cheating this year, in that I'm going to work on my novel which already has 20 pages+ to it...

However, it's a fantasy novel for which I've worked up an interesting magic system and cosmology, as well as an interesting history I'm tying into the novel project I currently have on the back burner. It involves an elven necromancer and a human archmage teaching her to control her powers before they devour her... But way more complicated than that. XD

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 04:39:12 pm »
Last year I attempted this and accomplished bugger all. this year I'm making sure I produce something. I have plenty of ideas rattling around in my head.

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 06:06:37 am »
I might try, if I have a computer with me for most of november (which might not be the case, seeing that I'm probably going to be out at sea for a while).
If I do, it'll be the story of how native oceanian populations discovered the working of metal before europeans ever thought of travelling so far out, and the consequences of such a discovery. Snapshot of a new civilisation spreading in the Pacific Ocean, throught the eyes of particular people living in it. An alternative history of Earth, centered around the ocean instead of the landmasses.

Might be a tiny bit too ambitious.