Author Topic: Explaining death to a toddler.  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Id82

• The Beast
Explaining death to a toddler.
« on: March 06, 2018, 01:23:45 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I have a child who will be two in a few months. As she grows she will become more and more curious about the world and I'm sure the topic of death will come up at some point. Being an agnostic atheist I don't really know how to explain the concept of death to a child without freaking them out. Death being death you don't exist anymore blah blah blah. When I was young my parents told me I'd be going to heaven and if I died and went to Heaven they would come and get me and bring me home other silly things like that.
I don't want to teach her about some place that I don't believe exists, how do you comfort a child with the thought of not existing anymore? Keeping in mind a three year old child can't really understand too much.
Any other parents here have experience with this?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline SomeApe

• Bishop
Re: Explaining death to a toddler.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 06:47:16 am »
The thought of not existing anymore is a lot less frightening when you realise you haven't existed before your birth either.
just your regular ape

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Explaining death to a toddler.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 06:23:35 pm »
I've been there many times. Death is like you go away forever. Stop breathing and eating and playing and just go away forever. You'll get a lot more silly verbs depending on the child. But they'll straighten up when they figure out you're being Very Serious. Anyways, how much more in detail you get would dependon so many different things. But that's the young toddler version of the concep tof death in the Rookie household.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.