Author Topic: Mass Effect 3  (Read 78676 times)

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
Re: Mass Effect 3
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 05:17:14 am »
I can't access the multi-player because it requires me to create an Evil Empire EA account. Not that I give even the most microscopic shit about multi-player, anyway. Yay. Yet another game in which I can get called a niggerfag by 12-year-olds. How exciting.

I can't help but think of all the time and resources that were used to implement a multi-player mode. Time and resources that could have gone towards improving the single-player, instead.

Dammit, Bioware knows my weakness... little kids who are implied to have died.   Dammit... I'm in tears.

I thought it was lazy writing. There are millions of people dying all around you and the writers want me to mourn the death of this one kid? At least 5 Alliance officials were crushed by a flying desk just 20 minutes prior and there weren't any reaction shots and poignant music when they died.

It's clear that the writers want the kid's death to have an emotional impact on the audience, but they give us no reason to actually care about him. We know nothing about him at all. They expect me to concern myself with his well-being solely because he's a child, instead of giving him actual characterization in order to cause me to form some sort of emotional connection with him.

It's a textbook example of "forced drama".

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 05:41:30 am »
Sounds like fun.  Once I get the game and play through once, I'll play mp with anyone who's on XBox Live.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 06:27:52 am »
Dammit, Bioware knows my weakness... little kids who are implied to have died.   Dammit... I'm in tears.

I thought it was lazy writing. There are millions of people dying all around you and the writers want me to mourn the death of this one kid? At least 5 Alliance officials were crushed by a flying desk just 20 minutes prior and there weren't any reaction shots and poignant music when they died.

It's clear that the writers want the kid's death to have an emotional impact on the audience, but they give us no reason to actually care about him. We know nothing about him at all. They expect me to concern myself with his well-being solely because he's a child, instead of giving him actual characterization in order to cause me to form some sort of emotional connection with him.

Or maybe you just do not have no empathy.

They concentrated on this one kid to show us a one of the victims of the attack. Sure they could have done this the Bruckheimer way and shown a montage of people minding their own business (Waving flags of USA if this was  a Bruckheimer trailer) just before the attack. Instead they show us this one kid(Also I thought that the kid is a girl.) playing with a toy. Million is a statistic but by concentrating on this one child we now have a "face" to the tragedy.

Besides how much more characterization can they give in a trailer? We see the kid for few seconds and that's it.

Besides like I said earlier this way the attack and the suffering has a face rather than just showing ruins and craters.

EDIT: montage, not collage.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:01:51 am by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 06:45:46 am »
In the demo we see a young boy. In the most recent trailer it's a girl. In the demo you are left wondering about the kid the entire demo.

(click to show/hide)

As for the Alliance peeps crushed by a desk uh... have we forgotten they grounded you in the first place? Have we forgotten they ignored your warnings for the entire first two games?

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 07:22:34 am »

Or maybe you just do not have no empathy.

They concentrated on this one kid to show us a one of the victims of the attack. Sure they could have done this the Bruckheimer way and shown a collage of people minding their own business (Waving flags of USA if this was  a Bruckheimer trailer) just before the attack. Instead they show us this one kid(Also I thought that the kid is a girl.) playing with a toy. Million is a statistic but by concentrating on this one child we now have a "face" to the tragedy.

Besides how much more characterization can they give in a trailer? We see the kid for few seconds and that's it.

Besides like I said earlier this way the attack and the suffering has a face rather than just showing ruins and craters

Trailer? What? I was talking about the game.

Also, concluding that "I have no empathy" from what I said is a pretty big leap.

In the demo we see a young boy. In the most recent trailer it's a girl. In the demo you are left wondering about the kid the entire demo.

Now I'm confused. I don't think that the kid in the demo and the girl in the trailer are supposed to be the same character.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 07:29:43 am »
I never said they were the same character. However, both are doing the same thing at the beginning of the demo and the trailer-- playing with a toy ship. Probably should've clarified/wrote that better.

And now for info about some DLC:

"We're happy to confirm that Mass Effect 3: From Ashes DLC will be available at launch for all platforms. For those of you who have purchased the N7 Collector's Edition, you will get this content at no extra charge. We'll have a lot more details for you later this week! Stay Tuned!"

The DLC will be 800 MSP for those who didn't get the N7 edition.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 07:38:31 am »
Yeah, I thought you were talking about the trailer. Sorry.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 07:45:24 am »
"We're happy to confirm that Mass Effect 3: From Ashes DLC will be available at launch for all platforms. For those of you who have purchased the N7 Collector's Edition, you will get this content at no extra charge. We'll have a lot more details for you later this week! Stay Tuned!"

The DLC will be 800 MSP for those who didn't get the N7 edition.

800 MSP. So.... 10 dollars. On top of the 60 dollar base game. For content that was developed at the same time as the game itself, but was conveniently excluded so that they can milk their customers wallets and make them pay for the same content twice. Fucking wonderful.

It's times like these when it gets really hard to oppose piracy.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 07:57:35 am »
Are you going to bitch about every single part of the game?

The DLC has no bearing whatsoever on the story. You're bitching about this, an extra mission and a character.

The same extra mission and character that people have known about for the past few months, ever since the N7 Collector's Edition was announced.

It's Zaeed Massani all over again. *facepalms*

&

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 08:14:21 am »

Yes.

Offline Shano

• Bishop
  • Trust me, I am a doctor.
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 09:31:31 am »

Yes.

Well... You should know that I personally do not appreciate it. I also think many others do not appreciate it.
It is now clear that you dislike the situation (if not the game). Can we move on?
The unbreakable wall

Offline shadowpanther

• Sod it, this'll do.
  • Bishop
  • FOR SCIENCE!
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 10:19:01 am »

She got what she deserved for appearing in an EA game.
Fight Spam! Click Here!
"Kick logic to the curb and do the impossible!"- Kamina, Gurren Lagann.

"Telling someone they know a lot is like telling a man with a few grains of sand clinging to him that he possess much sand."-Stephen Fry

They say an Englishman's home is his castle; which is handy as my home IS a castle and I LAUGH from the top of the turrets.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 02:33:32 pm »
What I actually remember from that scene most wasn't the kid, but Shepard. Normally, Shepard projects an aura of badassery, and she was in a particularly foul mood that day. But when she saw that kid, she turned... motherly. And in a good way. I love seeing Shepard show a gentle side, and to be rejected was not fun.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 03:07:16 pm »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 04:03:39 pm »
What I actually remember from that scene most wasn't the kid, but Shepard. Normally, Shepard projects an aura of badassery, and she was in a particularly foul mood that day. But when she saw that kid, she turned... motherly. And in a good way. I love seeing Shepard show a gentle side, and to be rejected was not fun.

So both options in the dialogue thing had that reaction? Cause I swear I switched it up in my second playthru and got the same event.

&