Author Topic: Video Game Logic  (Read 40595 times)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
Re: Video Game Logic
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 10:47:42 am »
Streets of Rage:  You should always pick up and eat random apples and turkey legs that are lying on the ground.   In a city street.  In the bad part of town.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 11:21:08 am »
Also, the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy game by Infocom. Where you must feed a sandwich to a dog at the very start of the game or else lose halfway through the game.
To be fair, the Hitchikers guite was a text game who's only purpose was a series of guess and check. You know, fake challenge. So you should probably just list that game.

Streets of Rage:  You should always pick up and eat random apples and turkey legs that are lying on the ground.   In a city street.  In the bad part of town.
Castlevania. Break wall, find chicken?! WTF?!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:22:58 am by e13 »

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Distind

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 11:55:13 am »
BioWare's fascination with the Tower of Hanoi. There are so many ways advanced alien civilizations could secure their technology, but they all use the same puzzle. (I know it shows up in KotOR and ME1. Probably other games, but those are the ones I remember.)

Just to comment on this, I was stuck on this in ME 1 for quite some time because I simply refused to believe that they used the Tower of Hanoi Puzzle for what amounted to flipping the breakers. Then for giggles I tried it, was done in about 30 seconds or so.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 12:30:22 pm »
Leisure Suit Larry 2, where you'd better swim to the bottom of the pool (in which you almost drowned) and grab that bikini top so you can wear it later when you're on the beach.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 12:43:37 pm »
BioWare's fascination with the Tower of Hanoi. There are so many ways advanced alien civilizations could secure their technology, but they all use the same puzzle. (I know it shows up in KotOR and ME1. Probably other games, but those are the ones I remember.)

Just to comment on this, I was stuck on this in ME 1 for quite some time because I simply refused to believe that they used the Tower of Hanoi Puzzle for what amounted to flipping the breakers. Then for giggles I tried it, was done in about 30 seconds or so.

I didn't realise how the puzzle worked until I had completed it for the first time. I knew the objective but I had no idea how it worked so I just tried random moves untill it was completed.

Another thing:

Finding power ups in random locations is not out of place in some simple 2d platformer but as the FPS games keep getting more "realistic" it gets a bit weird when you are supposed to go look for a health pack in a toilet or on top of a airduct. If the game world is supposed to seem realistic then you should try to put the ammo and power ups in logical places. When Mario finds a green mushroom that gives him extra lives it fits in with the world which already is surreal and not that serious, but even in Jedi Knight games it is a bit jarring that the empire hides stuff in places where you can only get to with force jumps. (Not to mention that many of the guards can only get to their work area by airlift.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 01:01:45 pm »
Another thing:

Finding power ups in random locations is not out of place in some simple 2d platformer but as the FPS games keep getting more "realistic" it gets a bit weird when you are supposed to go look for a health pack in a toilet or on top of a airduct. If the game world is supposed to seem realistic then you should try to put the ammo and power ups in logical places. When Mario finds a green mushroom that gives him extra lives it fits in with the world which already is surreal and not that serious, but even in Jedi Knight games it is a bit jarring that the empire hides stuff in places where you can only get to with force jumps. (Not to mention that many of the guards can only get to their work area by airlift.)

I bring up Castlevania, because unlike Mario, it's theme was rooted in basic gothic horror. Finding legs of lamb around would have sufficed. But as a kid, it weirded me the fuck out.

Who walled that chicken in? Why? Why would I eat it? That's gotta be covered in some weird shit from the construction effort?

Mario, on the other hand, is weird to begin with. I don't question anything there. :p

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 01:29:06 pm »
Of course, with most Silent Hill games, logic is thrown out the window and bashed with a twisty stick until completely unrecognizable... but it's still there.  Sorta.  Wallet in toilet notwithstanding.  I mean... Ew.

Offline Juna Starrider

• Apprentice
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 01:41:34 pm »
If you are about to do an ice themed dungeon (in a game that does top-down view), odds are you're going to be doing a least one "Slide from block to block in a correct order until you get to the other side"  If it's an ice themed platformer, odds are that you're going to be careful how you jump, as you will be sliding more.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 01:48:43 pm »
If you are about to do an ice themed dungeon (in a game that does top-down view), odds are you're going to be doing a least one "Slide from block to block in a correct order until you get to the other side"  If it's an ice themed platformer, odds are that you're going to be careful how you jump, as you will be sliding more.
Zelda, we're looking at YOU. ;)   Or... I am, at least.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 02:56:34 pm »
Of course, with most Silent Hill games, logic is thrown out the window and bashed with a twisty stick until completely unrecognizable... but it's still there.  Sorta.  Wallet in toilet notwithstanding.  I mean... Ew.

That reminds me of one of my friends playing Dead Island and finding deodorant in a broken computer monitor  WTF?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:58:19 pm by TGRwulf »
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 03:07:02 pm »
I like when I find gold inside of a dead wolf.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 03:09:20 pm »
Or light bulbs inside a sealed food can (Silent Hill 2).  How's that for a light snack?   Ugh.  Sorry.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 03:14:01 pm »
Elder Scrolls Oblivion: I'm wandering through some ruins doo dee doo oh look a barrel why does it have fresh fruit and meat in it these ruins were ancient when my great grandfather was born

Elder Scrolls Skyrim: Iron dagger dagger dagger dagger dagger dagger dagger dagger dagger dagger dagger dagger ... ... ... dagger dagger dagger dagger DAEDRIC GREATSWORD~ (Translation: Why does forging an iron dagger over and over again make it so I'm suddenly adept at forging stuff using epic-level material?)

Elder Scrolls Morrowind (GOTY): Why is there a high level assassin chasing me at level 1!?  And why won't any of the guards help me!?

Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 03:14:13 pm »
Or light bulbs inside a sealed food can (Silent Hill 2).  How's that for a light snack?   Ugh.  Sorry.

That made me spittake, I'll admit.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 03:22:37 pm »
It feels good to make people laugh. :)

Another Silent Hill anti-logic logic:  In SH3, you get a key from inside a dead dog.   A dead cooked dog on a platter.  A dead cooked dog cooked on a platter... in a Chinese restaurant.