Author Topic: Gamers throw shitfit re: transgender character in Baldur's Gate  (Read 34706 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Gamers throw shitfit re: transgender character in Baldur's Gate
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 11:45:18 am »
None of the comments quoted in the article mentioned anything about people being """""censored""""" (and no, a privately-owned site refusing to give a platform is not "censorship", learn what words mean you ape).

The one-sided article, you mean.  And are you really using "argument from definition?"

The article is also factually wrong.  On GOG, at least, there are a number of reviews that say absolutely nothing about the trans character.  Examples:

Patch 2.0/Dragonspear made Baldurs Gate EE a worse game for a number of reasons.
-random crashes
-mods aren't working properly any longer
-questionable graphic update (they managed to make a 16 year old game look WORSE than on release) I know, these are optional, but when i first started the game after the update i just couldn't believe it how ugly it looked. Funnily enough, the preview screenshots here and on steam don't show the ugly new sprites.
-questionable difficulty changes. Why the f*** does the game lower the difficulty after a few reloads by itself, without asking. I realized this awesome "feature" when i reached the so called "Story mode" which sets all stats to 25 and adds a ton of immunity. Basically Godmode. Obviously i thought it was a bug and tried to reload my game again. Well, i figured it out eventually. What a terrible feature.
-Voice acting The voice acting in the addon breaks the feel of the original game. I know, many people hate to read and prefer voiced dialogues. But Baldurs Gate has its own style and if suddenly whole dialogues are voiced it just feels out of place and you know immediately that it doesn't belongs to the game. It just feels wrong. They could have saved the money for the (mediocre actually) voice acting and spend it on fixing bugs.
-Multiplayer Its working barely at best.
So far this addon has been a huge disappointment. The worst thing is: Even if i refund it, the terrible patch 2.0 will stay. I guess i will let the EE games rest and play the original games with mods for a while. Maybe Beamdog gets their shit together and fixes the issues and i can enjoy playing EE. Hopefully this time it won't take them whole year.
PS (kinda unrelated on GoG): Steam Achievments are buggy as hell too. Some won't unlock. Others do unlock for the wrong quest... its a mess.

Bad writing aside, the content is full of bugs. The developers have also broken almost all mod compatibillity, causing dialogue errors and other issues. The new UI changes are questionable at best, and downright broken at worst. Game is unplayable in Multiplayer. The fact that this has been in development for 5 years makes you wonder how much effort they even put into it.

What a let down. Thankfully, I was able to watch some of the actual in game footage from Youtube before purchasing this abomination. A good example of what happens when the wrong people gain access to a great IP. If you're interested in what specifically I take issue with well here goes: 1. The visuals are very dated. I love old school games, but this is just lazy. 2. Most players have reported poor experience with the multiplayer. 3. Poor writing. I can forgive horrible visuals for a great story line, but that's not the case here.
If you're looking for a great old school experience, I suggest that you find the original Baldur's Gate. The mod community has made it able to withstand the effects of time to a bit.

Exactly what I said it's a horrid piece of crap and a abomination to the beloved baldur's gate franchise that we all know and love. In fact it's sooo bad I dare refuse and won't even call this a baldur's gate game or even apart of the franchise and infact im just calling this game garbage from now on. After the game crashed 5 times in a single hour I got fed up, had enough and installed it and had my money refunded. Also the voice acting is incredibly terrible they took a franchise and single handedly ripped the heart and soul out of it.

All I know is this, I went to start over Baldurs gate: EE before playing Dragonspear, aside from the crap graphics, and re worked UI (which no one asked for), my game crashed about 10 times in a row when I went into the training basement right at the beginning of the game. This never happened before the update. I am going to have to re-buy the original game now, because EE is broke AF. Did I mention the graphics? It looks like someone chewed up borderlands and deficated it back out on top of everyone in BG. The more you zoom in on a battle the more ridiculous it becomes.....how someone green lit that is beyond anything I could possibly comprehend.

So yeah, the expansion's a glitchy, poorly-written, poorly-acted mess that puts Sonic 06 to shame.  Saying it's hated because of transphobia is ridiculous.  It's no different from Oliver Stone saying Alexander bombed because critics and audiences were homophobic, when in reality, it was because the theatrical cut just wasn't very good.

Even Then

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2016, 11:59:36 am »
Here's the thing, shitheel: that doesn't mutually exclude the transphobia. It doesn't make the transphobia magically go away if some people hate it for its mechanical qualities. No one has said that literally every single person who hates the game hates it because they're transphobes, or that transphobia is the only reason the game is hated.

Then again, asking you to actually read articles would be too much for your capacity.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:03:46 pm by Even Then »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 12:02:07 pm »
Here's the thing, shitheel: that doesn't mutually exclude the transphobia. It doesn't make the transphobia magically go away if some people hate it for its mechanical qualities.

I never said it did, and I don't doubt that some of the game's critics are transphobic.  But it does seriously undermine the claims that the game is widely hated because of transphobia.

Even Then

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 12:04:07 pm »
Okay, fuckmunch: how much is "widely" for you?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2016, 12:06:42 pm »
Okay, fuckmunch: how much is "widely" for you?

Just to clarify, are you talking about the hatred in general, or that based on transphobia?

Even Then

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 12:09:15 pm »
You know damn well what I mean. What arbitrary percentage of the shit-talking slung at Baldur's Gate has to include transphobia for you to take your head out of your ass and see that the transphobia is a primary motivator?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 12:11:30 pm »
You know damn well what I mean. What arbitrary percentage of the shit-talking slung at Baldur's Gate has to include transphobia for you to take your head out of your ass and see that the transphobia is a primary motivator?

Just off the top of my head, I'd say 35% minimum.

Even Then

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2016, 12:19:04 pm »
Well, you quoted five comments and the article quotes eight, so right now we're at ~61%. I'll just extrapolate from that since I have better things to do with my life than slog through pages upon pages of whiny gamers. Like, for instance, biting my own taint.

That also applies to talking to UP, now that I think of it.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2016, 12:23:55 pm »
Well, you quoted five comments and the article quotes eight, so right now we're at ~61%. I'll just extrapolate from that since I have better things to do with my life than slog through pages upon pages of whiny gamers. Like, for instance, biting my own taint.

That also applies to talking to UP, now that I think of it.

How, exactly, are those reviews "transphobic?"  Seriously, I'd like an explanation.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:25:30 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2016, 12:57:17 pm »
Dude, I can just see you squeezing it slowly when you post your sweet nothings like that.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2016, 01:05:26 pm »
UP, you are not this stupid. Stop feigning ignorance. You are no longer debating to win us over or even trying to win with debate school rules. You are acting like a suspect in court.

"Did you stab your wife?"

"What does the word 'stab' mean? Can you explain it to me I am unfamiliar with it."

"We caught you covered in blood standing over her and with a knife in your hands!"

"That doesn't prove anything. How do you know it was her blood?"

"We tested the DNA 15 times!"

"But can you prove that the rest of the blood was hers? Those 15 drops may be hers (heres a link to a study I haven't read about DNA test reliability) but the rest might belong to someone else. Can you prove that a substantial amount of the blood is hers?"
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2016, 01:07:49 pm »
Whenever he's losing, he's wanking. Modus Operandi.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Even Then

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2016, 01:21:44 pm »
Since I made the mistake of opening a UP comment, I'm going to give his unworthy ass my time and painstakingly explain the point of view that says these comments are transphobic. Because I hate myself.

- "T**nny" is a transphobic slur. A slur is a term that is used to demean, dehumanize or marginalize a group of people.
- The view that the mere existence of a transgender character in a game, or said character's identity being referenced, is "social justice garbage" or "SJW politics" is transphobic because transgender characters/people existing is not inherently social leftist propaganda (again, words mean things), and saying that transgender characters can only exist as a political vehicle prohibits transgender characters from being an organic part of a fictional universe.
- "Transvestite" and "transgender person" are two different things; to equate the two is transphobic erasure.
- "Born a man"
- "a tr***y that doesn't fit the lore" implies that transgender characters in and of themselves don't belong in Baldur's Gate lore (or, implicitly, fantasy in general) since from what I can tell, war god priests aren't exactly a violation of Baldur worldbuilding.
- Literally saying that "political opinions" (which is a dogwhistle for "a transgender person exists and mentions her identity in an optional dialogue path") don't belong in Baldur's Gate (or, implicitly, gaming)
- "We are trying to ESCAPE having to deal with the existence of non-cishet people, but I'm totally not a bigot"
- "the existence of a transgender person offends us, remove her from the game"
- "let me discover the transgender woman for myself instead of forcing me to mingle with non-cishets" I understand that UP is deliberately missing all of this and will continue to plug his ears because he's UP, by the way, but I'm in that ranting mood
- "it's not natural for this transgender character to talk about her identity so openly, now please excuse me as I kill a dragon with a magic sword I got from a god" (I don't even know if BG has dragons, I haven't played it, substitute something else there if there aren't)
- "it's not natural for this transgender character to talk about her identity so openly, transgender characters need to jump through the Hoops of a Thousand Fuckboys before they're allowed to talk about their identity"
- the existence of a transgender character is not a goddamn lecture on gender politics, transgender characters and people can exist apolitically you gatekeeping fuckos

That got ranty at the end there, but I hope I've made myself clear. And I hope I haven't spoken out of turn; as a cis person, my understanding of the topic is second-hand, but that's how I understand it at least. I don't mean to make myself a high authority on this or anything.

Belloc

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2016, 01:34:27 pm »
Developers remove a pose from a game.

"Stop censoring human expression!"

Developers include a transgender character in a game.

"Stop promoting human expression!"
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 02:02:06 pm by Chesterton »

Even Then

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2016, 01:37:42 pm »
Basically.