Author Topic: Doctor Who General  (Read 58318 times)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Doctor Who General
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2013, 10:50:13 pm »
There's several versions.  I've got a soft spot for the Anthony Ainley Master... mostly because I saw him the most during my childhood.  His version of the Master can be kinda hammy at times, but ... well... hey, he's insane. 

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2013, 10:57:59 pm »
I know. But any of them would be fine with me because I tend to feel very sad for the Master even without woobifying him. Netflix didn't have any episodes with the Master in them. They seemed to conveniently miss uploading them.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 01:42:53 am »
Yeah.  I feel bad for him too.  Looking back at Classic DW with the knowledge of how the Master eventually turned out, and what made him the way he is (even if it probably wasn't even thought of having that particular reason for his insanity back then), I view him less as a stereotypical mustache-twirling villain.
It puts a different spin on The Five Doctors, when you think of what the Time Lords did to him.  Blissfully ignorant, he was.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 01:50:17 pm »
My favorite Master was always Anthony Ainley, he didn't always get the best scripts but I have a weakness for "hammy" acting and he always went all in when playing the Master.

Also, found this video of old bloopers
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcNOVDIjX24" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcNOVDIjX24</a>

EDIT: watching Ghost Light again, it was a shame it didn't get 4 episodes to fully flesh out the plot, but it's still one of my favorite serials in the history of the show, definitely a high note for the last classic season.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:51:02 pm by Dakota Bob »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2013, 05:28:36 pm »
A Public Service Announcement, there is a series of free Big Finish audios to download from here (warning, audio autoplays when you click the link)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2013, 01:59:52 pm »
Ever since I wrote it up, I've been waffling linking people to a fic I made starring the Doctor (10) and the Master.

Be kind?

If you aren't intimately aware of the childhoods and early adulthoods of either Time Lord most of this will seem like I made it all up when it comes to their names for each other and various parts of their time in knowing each other.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2013, 03:30:22 pm »
Ever since I wrote it up, I've been waffling linking people to a fic I made starring the Doctor (10) and the Master.

Be kind?

If you aren't intimately aware of the childhoods and early adulthoods of either Time Lord most of this will seem like I made it all up when it comes to their names for each other and various parts of their time in knowing each other.
I love it. Tis amazingly fantastic.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2013, 04:16:41 pm »
Wanted to share these really awesome time war GIFs from here.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 05:18:07 pm »
I will never be able to watch "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" before bed.  Just.  Can't.  Do it.

Are you my mummy?
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 05:22:35 pm »
Hmm... I found Midnight and Blink to be creepier (actually most of the Weeping Angels eps), but I guess your scary mileage will vary, of course.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:24:41 pm by SpaceProg »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 05:41:56 pm »
I will never be able to watch "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" before bed.  Just.  Can't.  Do it.

Are you my mummy?

Love that episode, probably my favorite of all of Moffats stuff. Blink is my second favorite, it's a shame Moffat started to needlessly complicate the Weeping Angels in Series 5.

Be kind?

Well, it certainly isn't awful!  ;)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:00:18 pm by Dakota Bob »

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2013, 06:36:33 pm »
Hmm... I found Midnight and Blink to be creepier (actually most of the Weeping Angels eps), but I guess your scary mileage will vary, of course.

Blink is only creepy if you watch The Doctor's recording by itself.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opy5DleJfOY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opy5DleJfOY</a>
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:38:50 pm by thejebusfire »

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2013, 09:24:30 pm »
My friend wanted to go back and re-watch all of NuWho since we started watching it together in S7, and she'd missed a couple episodes from previous seasons.  So, we've just started over again with "Rose" and have watched the first couple episodes of Nine's run.

God, I'd almost forgotten there was a time when companions were actual human beings instead of plot devices only worth keeping around because there's some "mystery" attached to them.  I remember being kind of "meh" about the first half of S1 when I first saw it, but after three years of Moffat's brand of empty expository storytelling, I've come to appreciate the earlier episodes much more.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2013, 02:34:57 am »
Oh midnight was such a freaky episode. I loved it
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2013, 06:47:58 am »
My friend wanted to go back and re-watch all of NuWho since we started watching it together in S7, and she'd missed a couple episodes from previous seasons.  So, we've just started over again with "Rose" and have watched the first couple episodes of Nine's run.

God, I'd almost forgotten there was a time when companions were actual human beings instead of plot devices only worth keeping around because there's some "mystery" attached to them.  I remember being kind of "meh" about the first half of S1 when I first saw it, but after three years of Moffat's brand of empty expository storytelling, I've come to appreciate the earlier episodes much more.

Weird, with the exception of Donna I thought the companions from the RTD era were pretty poorly written. I'll agree that Clara has proved to be pretty underwhelming so far and the whole "Impossible Girl" aspect was pretty unnecessary but I'll take Amy and Rory over Rose any day.

But then again, none can compare to god-tier companion Ace.