Author Topic: Doctor Who General  (Read 57995 times)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Doctor Who General
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 05:14:56 pm »
Oh yes, most definitely.  Colin Baker was allowed to play the Doctor how he originally wanted to.  He's still a tad arrogant in the audios (what Doctor isn't, at least to some extent?), but nowhere near douchebaggy.  6 also gets a story with the Brigadier, which he never got on the TV show.  I recommend the Audios from all the Docs really.  They're some good stuff. 

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 06:50:40 pm »
I really wish there was more material with 9. Chris Eccleston's acting in the Dalek episode was superb.

Dat acting.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 07:24:59 pm »
It is a shame that McGann didn't get longer to flesh out the 8th Doctor on film, thank fuck for the audio plays.

There was also a series of eighth Doctor comics that ran in the late 90's early 2000's. Comic Eight was quite wacky:

Spoiler because this one may not be work safe:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 04:43:33 am »
Ha, the question mark underwear is a great touch.

I've only heard a bunch of the new 8th doctor audio plays, anybody got any suggestions for the other Doctors?

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 01:35:59 pm »
Most of my suggestions are going to be earlier in the Audio's run as I've not managed to listen to the later ones.  I don't have the money to get them very often.

Sirens of Time is a good Three-Doctor sampler.  It's also the first Big Finish DW audio.
Phantasmagoria and Winter for the Adept for the 5th Doctor.
Spectre of Lanyon Moor, the 6th Doc Story with the Brigadier.  Whispers of Terror, a 6th Doc story perfect for audio.
Fearmonger is a pretty good 7th Doc tale.

Offline Thejebusfire

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 02:45:43 pm »
When I was looking for those comics yesterday, I stumbled upon this:

Forever laughing at four's face.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 03:39:58 pm »
Yeah... Five's fallen for a lot of traps... I think sometimes his brain falls out of his open face.

Still love 'im though.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 04:14:08 pm »
Okay, I literally just finished watching the first part of "Dragonfire" and I just saw the worst Doctor Who cliffhanger of all time. The doctor looks over a railing overlooking a massive chasm, and then FOR NO REASON, climbed over and started hanging off the bars, then he realizes he just fucked up and now he's hanging by his umbrella, cue credits. must have been a lazy day in the Writers Room.

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 04:22:39 pm »
When I was looking for those comics yesterday, I stumbled upon this:

Forever laughing at four's face.

Is that by Roger Langridge?  Langridge drew IDW's Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time #8, starring the McGann Doctor, which just came out last week--which is why the Eighth Doctor's look in that picture jumped out at me.  I didn't even know he was a former DW artist until reading the commentary at the end of the issue; I just knew he'd worked on a lot of Boom's all-ages titles in recent years.

I recommend Prisoners of Time, by the way.  Great nostalgia rushes; even though every issue is by the same writing team, they do a good job of giving each story the respective Doctor's different "feel", and the artists are often ones associated with that Doctor's run in Doctor Who Magazine (such as Langridge).
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 04:43:55 pm »
Okay, I literally just finished watching the first part of "Dragonfire" and I just saw the worst Doctor Who cliffhanger of all time. The doctor looks over a railing overlooking a massive chasm, and then FOR NO REASON, climbed over and started hanging off the bars, then he realizes he just fucked up and now he's hanging by his umbrella, cue credits. must have been a lazy day in the Writers Room.

That one suffered from some bad editing to make it run in the time allotted.  There was supposed to be a drop to another level of the cave below the Doctor that he was trying to get down to.  Unfortunately, the way it was cut, it looked as if he just did it for no reason and was just hanging there like a fool.  The cliffhanger was sort of just slapped on at the end for brevity.

Source: Sylvester McCoy in Doctor Who Monthly back in ye olden times of the late 80s.

Offline Thejebusfire

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2013, 04:45:48 pm »
Yes it is. It's supposed to be funny which is why they're all ridiculously drawn.

The best part (for me) was four and seven's conversation about food allergies:

I'd love to see Langridge do another comedy work like this but with the "new" doctors included.

I have most of the Prisoners in Time comics. I'd like to get eight's, but since there are no comic book stores in my new college town (that I'm aware of anyway) it'll have to wait.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2013, 07:56:03 pm »
LOL That allergies bit is great.  Them allergies can do some weird stuff.   Smelling the color blue.  :D

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 08:00:02 pm »
Rewatching 9 and 10 and wow, they are really throwing Torchwood and Bad Wolf everywhere they can. They seem so proud of those words.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2013, 08:04:46 pm »
Yeah.  They had them a nice Whedonesque arc going.  Though they kinda tried too hard to make it obvious. :p

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2013, 10:20:39 pm »
Just a tad...

Also I need to track down some episodes with The Master from classic who. Hrmph...

&