Author Topic: The E3 Thread  (Read 24622 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: The E3 Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 03:40:35 pm »
All right, I'm home for 2 days, got my junk food, and the wife is in Orlando until Thursday. 

Let Geek Week begin!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 03:51:47 pm »
You know, I can't help but admire Nintendo's planning with this. Not only did they schedule themselves to go last, giving them the final impressions of the event, but they also trumped the event entirely by releasing a presentation the day before it started. They set it up so they got both the first and last words of this year's E3.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 03:58:50 pm »
Adam Sessler's sideburns are absolutely hilarious.

Any word on Assassin's Creed III? I haven't been watching the whole thing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 04:15:41 pm »
Nintendo's new Wii U controller:

Looks like a pointy 360 controller...

It looks more like an inverse dualshock controller to me ;D

With a small X-Box controller shell.

Either way, I stopped worrying about shit like that when I fell off the "PS3 ripped off Wii" bandwagon.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 04:29:23 pm »
To me, it just looks like a modified layout of the front of a 3DS...

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 04:35:08 pm »
Whatever it is, it looks nice. Now that they have an actual controller, maybe they'll start making games that actually use it again.

I was watching the stream, and on the right side of the video, they have these little polls.

Well, this just happened...

I hate humanity...

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 04:40:34 pm »
E3 2012 is making gaming look quite.....shitty.  Microsoft  was nothing but Kinect this or that, the only real thing that stood out was Trey and Matt making fun of Microsoft and introducing their new South Park RPG which looks interesting IMO.  EA without fail is showing us why they are still the worst publishers, See Battlefail 3 PREMIUM. More lame EA sports and I'm bored lol.  My opinion is the big game publishers are continuing their suicidal plunge and no brakes. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:47:35 pm by CaseAgainstFaith »
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 04:52:12 pm »
E3 2012 is making gaming look quite.....shitty.  Microsoft  was nothing but Kinect this or that, the only real thing that stood out was Trey and Matt making fun of Microsoft and introducing their new South Park RPG which looks interesting IMO.  EA without fail is showing us why they are still the worst publishers, See Battlefail 3 PREMIUM. More lame EA sports and I'm bored lol.  My opinion is the big game publishers are continuing their suicidal plunge and no brakes. 

The Old Republic going F2P till level 15.  Ten minutes of Simcity Social.  A fucking facebook game.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 04:57:06 pm »
Well, we still have Sony's presentation latter today, and then Nintendo's tomorrow. So maybe the show won't be a complete disaster.

Besides, it's not like anyone expected anything good from MicroSoft or EA.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 05:12:31 pm »
So which conference was worse. EA or Microsoft?

Speaking of failures.... Gamespot has utterly failed with their chat system this year when it's worked fine since 2009.  It doesn't automatically update the comments.  Instead it waits a minute to do so making at least 100 comments appear at once causing your stream and computer to lag down.

What the hell.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:20:09 pm by syaoranvee »

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 05:12:43 pm »
Speaking of Simcity, it's 2012 and developers still can't implement buildings that mold to the shape of the lot that they sit on?

The curved/angular roads ability would only look good if the buildings were procedurally generated to have a footprint equal to the lot shape. The buildings in the game are all very regular and orthogonal, but they are surrounded by a buffer of vacant land between the building and street that takes on the deformations of the lot shape. Rather, the building itself should have the footprint of the lot. Then we wouldn't have leftover empty paces sitting in between each building. Real cities grow organically, and the buildings mold to the pattern of the roads they sit next to. This image is a good demonstration of this.

The art style is also way too clean and cartoonish. It doesn't feel like a real city because it doesn't have the right amout of clutter to make it feel like people actually live there.

You see how bright and glossy everything in the image looks?

Everything looks like it's made of plastic. It doesn't have that "lived in" feel that SimCity 4 had. It all looks completely smooth, even the roads. There is no sense of texture.

EDIT: Also, some of the building sets will be day-one DLC. So fuck them for that, too.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:17:52 pm by VirtualStranger »

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 05:19:34 pm »
Well, keep in mind, the game doesn't launch until February. So things probably aren't final right. There may be a lot of refinements made between now and then.

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 05:24:44 pm »

Speaking of failures.... Gamespot has utterly failed with their chat system this year when it's worked fine since 2009.  It doesn't automatically update the comments.  Instead it waits a minute to do so making at least 100 comments appear at once causing your stream and computer to lag down.

What the hell.

That is why I use http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/e3/live.html for my viewing of E3, you get a fun little voter thing and the chat works correctly.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Saturn500

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 05:29:53 pm »

Well, I like 5th Cell, and their game Hybrid has been announced to be coming out this summer, so... EA was worse due to a lack of anything good.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 05:40:12 pm »
Well, keep in mind, the game doesn't launch until February. So things probably aren't final right. There may be a lot of refinements made between now and then.

I certainly hope so. I'll wait until I see the final product to judge, but that cartoonish feel was a big part of what ruined Spore for me, not to mention the awful atrocity that was SimCity Societies.

TL:DR, this new game should take it's cues from SimCity 4, not The Sims.

Are we going to get any info on GTA 5? I.ve been dying to know more about the game since the trailer. we know almost nothing about it other than that it takes place in Los Angeles Los Santos and that the map is supposedly 5 times larger than GTA 4's