Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 387168 times)

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #465 on: January 22, 2017, 12:34:49 am »
I'm betting on eight years of Trump. The polls are worse than useless, and it's become cool to hate the law. Getting impeached will just make him more popular, though it might not get to the point where the people overthrow the government if they impeach Trump

That is not true. The polls erred, but the error was well within the margin. To be more precise, FiveThirtyEight predicted that Hillary would win the national popular vote by 3.8%. She wound up winning by 2.1%. Now, 1.7 is a big difference, but when the margin of error is 3.0%, it really isn't that big. And, when you stop and consider that the electoral college favored Trump in the first place (FiveThirtyEight reported that it would be a toss-up at around 2.5% national lead in the popular vote), that explains Trump's win. That doesn't mean polls are useless, or worse than useless, it just means that there are errors that are naturally built into them that arise from time to time; unfortunately, this time (to put it in  pokemon terms) Fissure hit.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #466 on: January 22, 2017, 07:03:18 am »
    more people went to dashcon than the amount of people who went to trump’s inauguration
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #467 on: January 22, 2017, 08:58:03 am »
I'm betting on eight years of Trump. The polls are worse than useless, and it's become cool to hate the law. Getting impeached will just make him more popular, though it might not get to the point where the people overthrow the government if they impeach Trump

I don't know. Trump is less popular now than Bush was after Katrina, and this is only the beginning of his term. He'll have to make some significant changes to really try to approve his image. But i don't think he cares all that much. Knowing the Democrats though they'll probably put a boring moderate like Tim Kaine up against him in 2020 instead of someone to excite the base.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #468 on: January 22, 2017, 11:02:50 am »
During the Trump inauguration he brought out one of the lizardmen who secretly control him and had the creature wear a mock up human-suit. Luckily most of the witnesses who saw his inhuman appearance with hands that seem to be prosthesis for this snake creature merely assumed that this being from another world is merely a secret service agent wearing fake arms because he is holding a gun under his suit...

http://warfarefootage.com/2017/01/donald-trumps-bodyguard-has-fake-arms-for-this-reason/
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #469 on: January 22, 2017, 05:31:29 pm »
The Trump administration just killed the TPP:

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Trump-and-Team-Officially-Withdraw-From-TPP-20170122-0002.html

To be honest, I'm surprised the first citrus-American POTUS actually kept a campaign promise.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #470 on: January 22, 2017, 05:47:40 pm »

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Trump-and-Team-Officially-Withdraw-From-TPP-20170122-0002.html

To be honest, I'm surprised the first citrus-American POTUS actually kept a campaign promise.

Just wait, before the midterms he'll rejoin it (after a few minor provisions have been tweaked and it's been renamed the "Trump-Pacific Partnership") and he'll say that it's the greatest trade deal, believe me, it's tremendous, it'll get all our jobs back, big league, and Mexico agreed to pay for the wall, a yuge wall, a beautiful wall, as part of it.

EDIT: We'll be winning with the Trump-Pacific Partnership. We'll be winning so much we'll get tired of winning with it, and we'll say, "Donald! We're tired of winning with the TPP! When you are going to pull us out of it?"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:03:00 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #471 on: January 22, 2017, 06:03:42 pm »
Buried in the heart of his bragging/whining speech to the CIA there was this.

" Trump regurgitated parts of his stump speech about how the United States “should have kept the oil” after invading Iraq. “Maybe we’ll have another chance,”

That should worry people at least as much as him instructing his press secretary to tell blatant lies.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #472 on: January 22, 2017, 06:15:09 pm »

Just wait, before the midterms he'll rejoin it (after a few minor provisions have been tweaked and it's been renamed the "Trump-Pacific Partnership") and he'll say that it's the greatest trade deal, believe me, it's tremendous, it'll get all our jobs back, big league, and Mexico agreed to pay for the wall, a yuge wall, a beautiful wall, as part of it.

I doubt Trump will bring this back, while he flipped flopped on this issue, and every other that doesn't center around his giant hands/penis, his actions are taking us down the protectionist route... And China is laughing so hard at us right now. With America backing out, now they are the dominant economy to bring countries to the table and create free trade deals, deals which China--and not the United States--gets to write. Fact is, the TPP was drafted to circumvent China's currency manipulation and increase American influence in South Asian nations. That is why China is not a signatory.

And then with Canada and Mexico... I guess the only silver lining is that a trade war is better than an actual war. But then Tol posted, so fuck.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #473 on: January 22, 2017, 06:48:31 pm »

I doubt Trump will bring this back, while he flipped flopped on this issue, and every other that doesn't center around his giant hands/penis, his actions are taking us down the protectionist route... And China is laughing so hard at us right now. With America backing out, now they are the dominant economy to bring countries to the table and create free trade deals, deals which China--and not the United States--gets to write. Fact is, the TPP was drafted to circumvent China's currency manipulation and increase American influence in South Asian nations. That is why China is not a signatory.

And then with Canada and Mexico... I guess the only silver lining is that a trade war is better than an actual war. But then Tol posted, so fuck.

He's also a known serial liar. I'd put no more credence into his promises on trade than anything else.

And that may have been the original motivation for the TPP, but then they added stuff that allowed corporations to go before international tribunals of corporate lawyers to overturn, without appeal, local laws that cut into their profit margins.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #474 on: January 22, 2017, 07:15:28 pm »
I wouldn't write off the threat of real war so early. It's a great way to get a bounce in popularity, people love a good war until it inevitably turns sour. It also lets you justify all sorts of repressive crap. If he wants to "eradicate ISIS" at some point he's gonna have to ask for ground troops.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:47:15 pm by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #475 on: January 22, 2017, 07:36:48 pm »
Yeah, I can see him sending the troops back in to Iraq at some point :(

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #476 on: January 22, 2017, 07:50:01 pm »
Speaking of repression.

More than 200 people who were mass-arrested at the Washington, D.C. protests against the inauguration of Donald Trump have been hit with felony riot charges that are punishable by up to 10 years in prison and quarter-million-dollar fine. Those picked up in the sweep—including legal observers and journalists—had their phones, cameras and other personal belongings confiscated as evidence, a lawyer confirmed to AlterNet.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #477 on: January 22, 2017, 08:07:36 pm »
Speaking of repression.

More than 200 people who were mass-arrested at the Washington, D.C. protests against the inauguration of Donald Trump have been hit with felony riot charges that are punishable by up to 10 years in prison and quarter-million-dollar fine. Those picked up in the sweep—including legal observers and journalists—had their phones, cameras and other personal belongings confiscated as evidence, a lawyer confirmed to AlterNet.

In fairness (not that I think it deserves much), some of the protesters did cause property damage. (I don't know if they were actual protesters or agents provocateurs, however.) Whether any of those were among the people arrested, I don't know.

But arresting journalists and legal observers is beyond the pale.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #478 on: January 22, 2017, 08:27:58 pm »
How could you tell if they did property damage in DC?  Seriously, how do you tell?  The place is a shithole.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #479 on: January 22, 2017, 08:32:33 pm »
How could you tell if they did property damage in DC?  Seriously, how do you tell?  The place is a shithole.

Still better than Miami.