Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 389417 times)

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #2790 on: January 23, 2019, 12:41:52 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfYCzWCoZck

Fuck dammit MSNBC.

Sorry if I'm missing something, but what does this have to do with Trump?
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2791 on: January 23, 2019, 06:35:55 pm »

Fuck dammit MSNBC.

The majority of Americans blame him for the shutdown; furthermore, he told Sen. Schumer that he would take responsibility for the shutdown; this is an effect of said shutdown.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
« Reply #2792 on: January 23, 2019, 08:05:25 pm »

Fuck dammit MSNBC.

The majority of Americans blame him for the shutdown; furthermore, he told Sen. Schumer that he would take responsibility for the shutdown; this is an effect of said shutdown.

OK, I get it now. Thanks for explaining.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2793 on: January 23, 2019, 08:07:17 pm »

Fuck dammit MSNBC.

OK, I get it now. Thanks for explaining.

That, and, generally, fuck MSNBC.

EDIT: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/22/davos-billionaires-are-scared-of-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-tax-proposal.html

The current talk of the town at Davos?

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's moderate plan to raise the US federal marginal tax rate on income over $10,000,000 to somewhere between 60% and 70%.

I say moderate because this same tax rate is applied in other countries with a much lower threshold, and there were also once rates in the US kicking in at incomes that high, but those were in the range of 91% to 93%.

She's been a sitting member of the House for three weeks and the global elite are fucking TERRIFIED of her.

I'll tell you what's going on. She represents ME. She represents everyone I know. She represents the normal people. She cares about OUR interests. In my lifetime I have NEVER felt this represented before in government. It's time for government to work for us, as it was intended. To all the people coming out of the woodwork to spew hate: I love that she represents you too, and that her policies will benefit you as well. I feel sorry for all those that can't or won't see this.

EDIT #2:

Oh, maybe THAT is why otherwise politically-savvy Republicans keep making kamikaze runs at everything AOC says.

Surely they realize that every attack on her just raises her profile further. They could just let her be a bomb-thrower in the caucus, a one-termer from one of the bluest districts in the country. Instead, the GOP seems determined to make her a serious presidential contender just by focusing too much on her.

(I doubt she'll be a one-termer, but anyway.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:21:57 am by dpareja »
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #2794 on: January 24, 2019, 12:00:29 pm »
I got a laugh out of this one: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/01/23/billionaires-davos-hate-alexandra-ocasio-cortezs-percent-tax-rich/?utm_term=.cbde36b21dc6

When Dell was asked to explain why he thinks that, he said, “Name a country where that’s worked — ever.”

Co-panelist and MIT professor Erik Brynjolfsson jumped in to offer an answer: “the United States.”

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
« Reply #2795 on: January 24, 2019, 05:02:21 pm »
I say moderate because this same tax rate is applied in other countries with a much lower threshold, and there were also once rates in the US kicking in at incomes that high, but those were in the range of 91% to 93%.

What's more, that was during the 1950s, a time of unprecedented prosperity in America. So it's not like such high tax rates are inherently detrimental to the economy.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2796 on: January 24, 2019, 05:36:40 pm »

What's more, that was during the 1950s, a time of unprecedented prosperity in America. So it's not like such high tax rates are inherently detrimental to the economy.

Well, there were recessions, but what I'd have to look into is where the gains of the recoveries went. Because according to the Federal Reserve (have to dig up the link) only the top 10% are better off now (in terms of wealth) than they were in 2007.

I'd also have to look into federal revenues when taxes went down under Kennedy in the early 1960s. You obviously can't raise marginal rates to 100% or you'll get no income from that bracket; you also can't drop them to 0%; and therefore there's a value somewhere in between that maximises revenue.

EDIT: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/shutdown-vote-senate-fail-1.4991658

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=116&session=1&vote=00009
https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=116&session=1&vote=00010

There were two bills to fund the US government before the Senate, one advanced by Republicans, the other by Democrats.

Both required 60 votes to invoke cloture; both failed. The Republican proposal received 50 votes for to 47 against, while the Democratic proposal received 52 for, 44 against.

On the Republican proposal, Sens. Paul (R-KY), Risch (R-ID) and Rosen (D-NV) did not vote; the vote was otherwise along party lines (Sens. Sanders and King voting with the Democrats) except that Sen. Manchin (D-WV) voted for while Sens. Cotton (R-AR) and Lee (R-UT) voted against.

On the Democratic proposal, Sens. Burr (R-NC), Paul (R-KY), Risch (R-ID), and Rosen (D-NV) did not vote. Again, the vote was along party lines, except that Republican Sens. Alexander (TN), Collins (ME), Gardner (CO), Isakson (GA), Murkowski (AK) and Romney (UT) voted for.

Meanwhile, Commerce Sec. Wilbur Ross urged furloughed workers to seek loans to pay the bills, but also said in an interview with CNBC that he couldn't understand why they were having trouble getting by.

Oh, I don't know, Mr. Ross. Maybe it's because almost 80% of federal workers live paycheque to paycheque?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/29/us-economy-workers-paycheck-robert-reich
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/09/shutdown-highlights-that-4-in-5-us-workers-live-paycheck-to-paycheck.html
https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2019/01/11/live-paycheck-to-paycheck-government-shutdown/

Maybe it's because a disturbingly high percentage of US families would be financially ruined by an unexpected $400, $500, or $700 bill? And keep in mind, while federal workers have at least been guaranteed back pay (though that does nothing to pay the rent or the mortgage or buy groceries or anything like that now), federal contractors are fucked.

How fucking out of touch are you, Mr. Ross?

I'll tell you what's going on. She represents ME. She represents everyone I know. She represents the normal people. She cares about OUR interests. In my lifetime I have NEVER felt this represented before in government. It's time for government to work for us, as it was intended. To all the people coming out of the woodwork to spew hate: I love that she represents you too, and that her policies will benefit you as well. I feel sorry for all those that can't or won't see this.

Meanwhile, a Reuters/Ipsos poll last week found that more than half of Americans blame Trump for the shutdown. Trump has been attempting to shift blame to the Democrats, despite saying before the shutdown began that he would be "proud" to shut down the government for border security.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 04:19:18 am by dpareja »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2797 on: January 25, 2019, 07:30:15 am »
And as of today, Rodger Stone has been arrested.

Ironbite-crack one open cause it's Mueller Time.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2798 on: January 25, 2019, 07:53:34 am »
So, what are the odds that Trump or GOP will try to shut down the investigation? At this pace Trump will be named in the investigation and the matter of impeachment will be brought up before the next elections. Not to mention all the other Republicans who are involved. Mueller is already publicly investigating NRA and through them plenty of people will be implicated in the conspiracy.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2799 on: January 25, 2019, 09:40:26 am »
At this point, you shut down the investigation you're pretty much screaming you did something wrong.  Of course the Orange Piss Pot's too stupid to realize that so he might as well shut it down now.

Ironbite-and then the House gets unfettered access to Mueller.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2800 on: January 25, 2019, 10:00:00 am »
I still see lots of people claiming that the investigation hasn't found anything and that it's a witch hunt. So the fanatics wouldn't mind. What about the rest of GOP? Would they consider it crossing a line or just business as usual with partisan politics? Because they clearly don't mind putting rapists in position of power as long as they have a big "R" next to their name.

Who would care? Democrats? That will be seen as a partisan political complaint. Republicans with a spine and a sense of justice? They've either already left the party or are blind and deaf.

Seriously, is there a downside to shutting down the investigation? If there's a revolt or something then Putin is going to orgasm until he gets dehydrated and the GOP politicians don't seem to care about the country much anyway.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2801 on: January 25, 2019, 11:24:19 am »
Moderate voters.  The true kingmakers of the electorate.  You lose them, you kiss your election chances goodbye.  And the GOP knows this because that's what cost them the House.  The moderate voters, the ones who don't identify with either party are the real meat of the election pie.  And that's also what gave Trump his victory, helped by Russian meddling and the like.  Remember, he only one the two key battleground states by about 80,000 votes.  That's really really slim margin.  He won't have that in 2020.  He really won't have it in 2020 if he shuts down Mueller.

Ironbite-that's what it all boils down too.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2802 on: January 25, 2019, 02:26:09 pm »
So Trump has agreed to end the shut down by passing the same bill that the Democrats and the Republicans before them have been trying to push through for the past 34 days. So this whole fucking shut down was over nothing! The thing is it only opens the government for another three weeks in which Trump wants to discuss funding for his wall which the Democrats probably still won't give him which will lead to him probably shutting down the Government again.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2803 on: January 25, 2019, 03:01:27 pm »
And him losing another fight, again.

Ironbite-meanwhile, people get paid again so there's that.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2804 on: January 25, 2019, 03:07:28 pm »
So what do you think made him cave? His tanking approval ratings? The Airports shutting down or flights getting delayed? The fact that more Republicans voted for the Democrats proposal in the Senate yesterday than Democrats voting for the Republican proposal?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t