Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1629193 times)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #885 on: April 12, 2012, 03:51:11 am »
The way political spectrums of the parties have shifted, people from back in the 1800s wouldn't even recognise it.

Girls will be boys
And boys will be girls
It's a mixed up
Muddled up
Shook up world
'Cept for Lola
L-O-L-A Lola.

Who's really a tranny.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #886 on: April 12, 2012, 07:10:41 am »

Way to pay attention to the real issues.

‘Cause only whites can be racist, amiright?

[/quote]
Okay. But with which parties do modern Klan members tend to associate these days?
-A Pen Name

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #887 on: April 12, 2012, 08:28:12 am »
And about 90 years after Republicans were electing the first black congresspeople, a Democrat senator introduced the Civil Rights Act and a Democrat president signed it. You can't discount the historical achievements of the Republican party, nor can you ignore the historical failings of the Democrats (and vice versa). However, the modern party taking credit for them is kind of like a person taking credit for the actions of an ancestor.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #888 on: April 12, 2012, 01:14:55 pm »
Democrats started the KKK, and now Republicans run it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #889 on: April 12, 2012, 02:28:55 pm »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #890 on: April 12, 2012, 02:31:49 pm »
^ That seems more like a parody of right-wing political cartoons.

However, it isn't very funny, so it does belong here.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #891 on: April 12, 2012, 07:16:05 pm »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #892 on: April 12, 2012, 07:31:35 pm »
Feels the need to refute.

California failed because of lax business regulation, dangerously low taxes, too little government infrastructure spending and a corrupt financial, housing and tech sector. Not because of the opposite.

Japan was ruined by conservatives failing to respond to their economic crisis for fifteen years, not their trains.

Greece was ruined by an obsession with short-term debts over long-term economic growth, the German beggar-thy-neighbour policy backed by an incompetent German ECB and an inappropriate monetary union. Leading to a failure to use monetary or fiscal policy.

The Soviet Union had a government that acted in demonstrably different ways than the US government under Obama. Sure, that was inefficient, which is why nobody does that any more. But free-market fundamentalism is actually more inefficient, as shown by the Russian Federation.

Again, Spain was ruined by the ECB, monetary union, short-term debt obsession, ect. Not solar panels (which are made in Germany).

England was ruined by the austerity program of their conservative government, austerity pursued despite a lack of need and in the face of massive costs- a policy that, to the extent that it was avoided in the US, was dodged over the violent objections of the Republican party. Britain's efficient health insurance program did not force international conservatism to institute wasteful, hugely costly austerity.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #893 on: April 12, 2012, 07:35:51 pm »
...Japan and the United States require vastly different infrastructure. Like, we require a lot of it to move shit around. I don't exactly what that cartoon is (probably erroneously) referring to, but I imagine that if the U.S. had something like the Japanese "bullet trains", they'd be profitable. For instance, if there was top of the line high speed rail linking Detroit and Chicago, you go could from the Motor City to the Windy City in just about the amount of time it takes to drive from Detroit to the state capitol. There has to be a market for that, assuming it's even moderately affordable.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #894 on: April 12, 2012, 07:54:48 pm »
However, the modern party taking credit for them is kind of like a person taking credit for the actions of an ancestor.

Totally. Also see: “What has your party done for me lately?”

...Japan and the United States require vastly different infrastructure. Like, we require a lot of it to move shit around. I don't exactly what that cartoon is (probably erroneously) referring to, but I imagine that if the U.S. had something like the Japanese "bullet trains", they'd be profitable. For instance, if there was top of the line high speed rail linking Detroit and Chicago, you go could from the Motor City to the Windy City in just about the amount of time it takes to drive from Detroit to the state capitol. There has to be a market for that, assuming it's even moderately affordable.

Indeed. The whole thing is apples and oranges. Even if the items called out in that cartoon are what damaged those economies, that doesn’t mean those items were inherently bad. It steams me to no end that so many good political and economic ideas out there are declared poison just because the very first try failed. It’s not always the idea. More often than not, it is the implementation.
-A Pen Name

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #895 on: April 13, 2012, 01:35:09 pm »

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #896 on: April 13, 2012, 02:21:52 pm »
Britain's efficient health insurance program did not force international conservatism to institute wasteful, hugely costly austerity.

One of the ironies of the cartoon is that the UK government recently passed what is most likely the most reviled bill in years on the NHS. Public support was around 18%, rumours were floating of Cabinet ministers being secretly opposed to it, and Tim Montgomerie, one of the most influential non-Parliamentery Conservatives in the UK, suggested that the short-term political cost of dropping the bill would be much better than the long-term political cost of passing it.

The chief complaint? Accusations of privatisation.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #897 on: April 13, 2012, 04:42:53 pm »

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #898 on: April 13, 2012, 05:02:03 pm »
Outrageous. Hopefully it costs Cameron his government.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline myusername

• Bishop
« Reply #899 on: April 13, 2012, 06:25:44 pm »
The NHS has not ruined England.
If anything, England has ruined the NHS.