Author Topic: Alternate History  (Read 25641 times)

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
Alternate History
« on: May 17, 2013, 09:31:09 am »
This is a thread for discussing alternate history.

For example, the election of 1960 was very close.  What if Nixon had won?
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

wrightway

Re: Alternate History
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 10:46:31 am »
Where's Dr. Manhattan when you need him?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 03:28:40 pm »
Off doing space things.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 06:15:26 pm »
Once I heard about an alternate history fanfic of what would have happened if George Washington had an invisibility ring.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 06:22:50 pm »
I'm a little obsessed with the alternate Cold War history of what would happen if the Soviet Union decided to attack America and start World War III.

wrightway

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 10:45:13 pm »
I liked the one where Hitler's hatred of Jews was the result of a time traveling Stephen Colbert snubbing him because Colbert was in love with Jonathan Liebowitz.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 02:02:52 pm »
I'm a huge fan of alternate history. Here's one scenario my dad and I came up with while visiting some Civil War battlefields last year:

During the 1860 US Presidential election, Abraham Lincoln is defeated by John C. Breckinridge, the pro-slavery candidate. The Civil War is, temporarily, averted.

However, in 1863, a Southern slave owner visits Boston, and brings his slaves with him. While there, he is arrested by the local authorities, and his slaves are freed by the Massachusetts government, in accordance with the state's anti-slavery laws. The slave owner sues Massachusetts, claiming theft of his property. In June of 1866, the Supreme Court rules in his favor, effectively making slavery legal throughout the United States.

This sends the anti-slavery North into a fury. In November, the Northern states declare their intent to secede from the Union, establishing the Federated States of America (commonly called the Federation), with its capital at New York City. President Breckinridge, aware of pre-1860 secessionist sentiment in the South, declines to stop them.

However, tensions soon rise between the Federation and the Union. Every free state in the Union has left, including California and Oregon. But without their votes, the Union quickly passes legislation making slavery the law of the land, even in the territories. Union troops are deployed into territories, and plans are made to bring in more states. The Federation correctly perceives this as a move designed to split their nation in two, isolating California and Oregon. In response, Californian troops enter modern-day Nevada and Arizona, clashing with the Union. By 1868, the Union and Federation are at war. While fighting is initially concentrated in the West, both sides soon decide that the best approach is to deliver a knockout blow.

We haven't figured out the details, but in all likelihood, the Federation would prevail. However, we're not sure what would happen next. Would the Federation simply claim the western territories? Or would they try to annex the Union? And if so, would they reestablish the United States, or would the Federation take its place, perhaps with the intention of making a break with the slavery-tainted past?
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Reality Warper

• Bishop
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 01:38:58 pm »
I read this one interesting scenario where Ming China established a huge trading network.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 10:22:25 am »
I read one about the Pope denouncing the Holocaust.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 12:50:39 pm »
Ever check out Harry Turtledove's novels?? I know he writes a whole lot of alternate history, especially about the Civil War.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 02:27:58 pm »
Ever check out Harry Turtledove's novels?? I know he writes a whole lot of alternate history, especially about the Civil War.

Yeah, I've read some of his stuff.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 03:00:47 pm »
Turtledove's okay; my major issue with him is his tendency to draw 1-1 parallels between the real world and his fictional one, rather than trying to explore the entirely new directions alternate history can take.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 06:17:03 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BUzxvrWNBY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BUzxvrWNBY</a>

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 12:55:51 am »
What if the other Kennedy had not been assassinated in 1968?

What if the peace movement had successfully cultivated an alliance with the trade union movement?

What if the October surprise had been found out before the 1980 election?

What if Gustavus Adolfus Magnus had survived Lutzen?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 01:04:50 am »
Ah, a topic dear to my heart as a historian in training. A personal favorite of mine is, "What if it had not rained before the Battle of Waterloo?" I have to say that Napoleon would likely have won, and that would have been devastating for the Coalition.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!