Author Topic: coup in turkey  (Read 3245 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
coup in turkey
« on: July 15, 2016, 04:38:23 pm »
[removed]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 05:25:25 pm by I am lizard »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Attempted coup in turkey
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 04:39:50 pm »
Damn Ninja-lizards. I'll delete my thread.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/15/turkey-low-flying-jets-and-gunfire-heard-in-ankara1/

The military claim to have taken over now but there is still a lot of confusion. I am going to assume that we will know the truth in a day or two.

...And I'm not actually sure if this is a good thing or bad for the people of Turkey. Erdogan hasn't seemed like a nice leader what with the paranoia and oppression and all. But military coups rarely lead to improvement either...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Re: Attempted coup in turkey
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 04:53:43 pm »
The army in Turkey isn't fond of fundamentalist Islam and Erdogan has used religion to gain support. I would guess this is at least one reason why the army has decided to try a coup (again). A backlash against Erdogan's regime is welcome but in this case the medicine might be more dangerous than the disease, at least for the Turkish people and their liberty.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: coup in turkey
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 05:20:34 pm »
Well...fuck.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 05:59:06 pm »
This could be very interesting. If Erdogan was palling around with religious extremists this could be a good thing.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 07:20:03 pm »
Well there goes Turkish EU membership for the next couple of decades, but they've got bigger problems right now.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 12:41:46 am »
Latest stories claim that Erdogan is heading back and the coup has failed. ...But I'm going to wait for one more day before I'll believe that.

EDIT: Oh wow, just a bit earlier there was an article about the rumours concerning an impending military coup in Turkey. High ranking officers had publicly denied any plans for a military coup (not a surprise that the plans had gotten public. You can't keep a secret if you are planning something like this, too many people need to know about it and one of them is going to talk sooner or later.)

Meanwhile Erdogan had been using the rumours to divert more power directly to himself.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/7/recep-tayyip-erdogan-uses-turkey-military-coup-buz/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 12:59:58 am by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 05:07:44 am »
There are more and more claims that the coup was staged by Erdogan to give him an excuse to purge the military.

He is also making a sweep of removing judges that he does not trust so whether this was a real attempt or fake Erdogan is certainly making good use of it. How he could make a list of thousands of people to be removed from among the judges and officers overnight might seem shady but I can not deny the chance that he had such a list prepared ages ago and was simply waiting for the right time to act. Or that he had plans to slowly remove them one by one and now chose to get rid of all of them at once as he got the perfect opportunity.

His accusation of USA having had a hand in the coup is worrisome as is Turkey cutting off electricity from a US base and starting a siege against it.

Who knows, Erdogan might even abandon his NATO allies and seek a new ally from Russia if he gets desperate/paranoid enough...

EDIT: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-07-16/erdogans-counter-coup-begins-turkey-purges-2745-judges-prosecutors-arrests-hundreds
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 05:23:39 am by Askold »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 08:58:34 am »
I saw some of the footage of soldiers being beaten, scary stuff. They say that mobs are going after critics of the government as well as coup plotters.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 04:26:33 pm »
And he's blaming the US.

Ironbite-more and more I'm thinking this was an excuse for him to purge his country of his political enemies.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 05:00:50 pm »
Note that USA was very quiet about the accusations and didn't even protest when Turkey started a siege on a US military base.

Not because USA was involved in the coup (at least so I assume) or because Obama is a weak leader (as many complained) but simply because despite all the stuff that Erdogan has done, despite all the killings, the treatment of the minorities, his dealings with ISIS, his radical Islam beliefs that he is giving more ground in Turkey by removing all moderates from power, despite all of that USA does not want to lose Turkey as an ally.

Yeah, people are being executed as enemies of the state/Islam but USA still considers it better to have a strategically placed ally in Turkey rather than make them move closer to Russia. (Well, they have had quite hostile relationship with Russia recently. Like shooting at each other and killing soldiers hostile, but I have no doubt that both Putin and Erdogan would forget such little details if they believed that becoming allies was in their interest.)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 06:41:48 pm »
I believe we should assassinate Erdogan if only for the sake of putting a more amenable / less unstable figure into power. Erdogan has outlived its usefulness, and has shown a tendency to oppress.

It would be in the interest of more people if cyanide found its way to the Would be Caliph's cup.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 07:11:42 pm »
Ironbite-more and more I'm thinking this was an excuse for him to purge his country of his political enemies.

In other words, water is wet and shit stinks.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 10:37:39 am »
Teachers and researchers are getting fired and also told that they are forbidden from leaving the country. So not only are they destroying the education and research they are also preventing a brain leak to other countries.

Then again most of Erdogans opposition is educated and his strongest support comes from the poor and uneducated. Oh and also the religious fanatics.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 03:27:13 pm »
Probably already have.  Part of a good vanishing is you don't realize the person is gone.

Ironbite-yeah he engineered this completely.