Author Topic: Today in history...  (Read 13546 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Today in history...
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 10:43:21 am »
Henry VIII died, leading to his son Edward VI becoming the first English monarch to have been raised Protestant. The religious issues that started under Henry's reign and that were exacerbated in the subsequent years continue to trouble the Commonwealth realms to this day.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline poeticmind0189

• Neonate
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 12:05:53 am »
Today in 1917, Greece declared war on central powers. I wonder what type of power Nuclear, Wind, Solar, or Hydro?

Offline poeticmind0189

• Neonate
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2013, 12:24:35 am »
Today in 1963, The Moors Murderers begin their killing spree. Is there anything else to do with Moors, Like S'mores.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2013, 08:14:40 am »
Also, the 1977 New York blackout. The "Nixon tapes" were also revealed today in 1973.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2013, 08:23:52 am »
Gaius Julius Caesar was born exactly 2113 years ago today.

And Aisha, the favourite wife of prophet Mohammed died this day 678 AD.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2013, 08:40:17 am »

You mean the six year old?
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2013, 03:18:40 pm »

Yes.

But let's not go there. At least not in this thread.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2013, 07:21:32 pm »

Yes.

But let's not go there. At least not in this thread.
Okay. Just was clarifying.

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2013, 08:14:37 am »
On this day in 1798 the Sedition Act becomes law in the United States making it a federal crime to write, publish, or utter false or malicious statements about the United States government.

Oh oops! Hey Repubtards... no more badmouthing the Obama administration.  ;D

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2013, 08:27:53 am »
The Storming of The Bastille was today. It's also Billy the Kid's deathday. All political parties were outlawed by the Nazis in Germany. Nazi Eugenics also began today, both in 1933. The Iraqi Revolution happened in 1958. In 1960, Jane Goodall also began her chimp experiments. In 1965, the Mariner 4 flyby of Mars took the first close-up photos of another planet. The United States $500, $1,000, $5,000 and $10,000 bills were officially withdrawn from circulation in 1969. In 1976, Canada abolished capital punishment. Jeff Jarrett was born today.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2013, 12:42:59 pm »
The Storming of The Bastille was today. It's also Billy the Kid's deathday. All political parties were outlawed by the Nazis in Germany. Nazi Eugenics also began today, both in 1933. The Iraqi Revolution happened in 1958. In 1960, Jane Goodall also began her chimp experiments. In 1965, the Mariner 4 flyby of Mars took the first close-up photos of another planet. The United States $500, $1,000, $5,000 and $10,000 bills were officially withdrawn from circulation in 1969. In 1976, Canada abolished capital punishment. Jeff Jarrett was born today.

Where's the snark? *points to OP* You have to include snark, man!
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2013, 01:55:13 pm »

Where's the snark? *points to OP* You have to include snark, man!
Sorry, insomnia + breakup (still close friends, though, and this is only like the 11th or 12 time we've done this, so yeah) = brainfuck.

So, what have we learned? Governments should just give up on July 14th. French Revolution, Nazi takeover and Iraqi Revolution. Also, sending something named after the seas to a desert planet makes sense. Any relation between Jane Goodall's chimp experiments and Jeff Jarrett is unconfirmed at this time.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 09:59:44 am »
Today in history, specifically in 1799 the Rosetta Stone was discovered, and became the most famous example of sucking up to the government yet known.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline poeticmind0189

• Neonate
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2013, 11:26:14 pm »
Today in 1973, Bruce Lee dies at age 32, Everybody was Kung fu fighting in his memory.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2013, 05:01:39 pm »
*wapah's Poetic in the throat*

Ironbite-JEET KUNE DO YOU PLEBEIAN!