Author Topic: Bible studies in North Dakota schools  (Read 2325 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Bible studies in North Dakota schools
« on: January 13, 2019, 09:15:21 pm »
https://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/66-2019/documents/19-0488-02000.pdf

There's a bill in the North Dakota State Senate that would require schools to offer a Bible studies course.

Time to bring on the lawsuits.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
Re: Bible studies in North Dakota schools
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 09:32:24 pm »
Sounds like something the Church of Satan would get involved in. Do they have any holy books?
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 10:18:12 pm »
If I had the resources, I'd get involved as "Dark Father Ionios Draxas of Chaos Undivided", saying that the recent law would give every religion the right to make these sorts of clubs. "And I think children need to hear the Primordial Truth of the Dark Gods of the Warp!"
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 11:38:56 pm »
Oh, oh, then can I be da prophit a Mork an Gork?
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 11:44:15 pm »
Sounds like something the Church of Satan would get involved in. Do they have any holy books?

They're based on the writings of Anton LeVay at least partially. So his Satanic Bible would probably be their "holy" book.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 12:39:48 am »
If I had the resources, I'd get involved as "Dark Father Ionios Draxas of Chaos Undivided", saying that the recent law would give every religion the right to make these sorts of clubs. "And I think children need to hear the Primordial Truth of the Dark Gods of the Warp!"

It's not a club, it's an actual elective course that students can take to fulfill part of their graduation requirements.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 12:52:59 am »
Given that they have to know full well that this ain't gonna fly, I can't help but think this is really just meant to polarise and/or distract people. Am I just being paranoid, or am I right to assume that they're going to try and quietly slip through something that fucks over everyone while all of the attention is on a religious pissing match?

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 01:02:07 am »
An elective course is a lot more reaching than a club would be, but it might survive a challenge considering electives are optional. They'll definitely run into trouble if they ever deny an elective on Quran study or comparitive religions though.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 01:11:51 am »
An elective course is a lot more reaching than a club would be, but it might survive a challenge considering electives are optional. They'll definitely run into trouble if they ever deny an elective on Quran study or comparitive religions though.

It could still cause trouble for some schools if they offer only the absolute minimum necessary to graduate (lack of funding) and one of them is this Bible course--the course effectively becomes non-elective for students at that school.

Also depends on how it's taught: if it's "Bible as literature" it'll might survive; if it's proselytization it won't, even if it's an elective.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 01:32:45 am »
So if I went forward with that mad plan, I'd have to come up with a freaking Chaos Curriculum.

It'd be a ton of work, but it sounds like an absolute blast.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer