Author Topic: Spaceship Crashes in the Mojave Desert  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Spaceship Crashes in the Mojave Desert
« on: November 01, 2014, 01:02:48 pm »
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/virgin-voyage/virgin-galactics-spaceshiptwo-crashes-1-dead-1-injured-n238376

Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo rocket plane exploded and crashed during a test flight on Friday, killing one crew member and seriously injuring another, authorities said.

The explosion came after the plane dropped away from its WhiteKnightTwo carrier airplane and fired up its hybrid rocket engine, said Stuart Witt, CEO and general manager of the Mojave Air and Space Port in California. The blast scattered debris across a two-mile swath of the desert floor north of Mojave, which is about 95 miles (150 kilometers) outside Los Angeles.

One of the two test pilots aboard the plane was killed, said Kern County Sheriff Donny Youngblood, who was among the officials dealing with the crash's aftermath.

The other parachuted to the ground and was injured. That pilot was transferred to Antelope Valley Hospital in Lancaster, California, according to Kern County Deputy Fire Chief Michael Cody.

"We hope that the survivor will be just fine," Youngblood said during a news briefing.

The pilots have not yet been identified, but both of them worked for Mojave-based Scaled Composites, according to Scaled's president, Kevin Mickey. Scaled has played a key role in developing and testing SpaceShipTwo for Virgin Galactic.

Virgin Galactic had planned to use this SpaceShipTwo to fly passengers on suborbital trips to the edge of space, beginning as early as next year. A nearly identical rocket plane is already under construction inside a Mojave hangar. More than 700 customers, including celebrities such as Ashton Kutcher and Justin Bieber, have paid as much as $250,000 to take a ride.

George T. Whitesides, Virgin Galactic's CEO, said the company would press on despite the setback.

"Space is hard, and today was a tough day," Whitesides told reporters. "We are going to be supporting the investigation as we figure out what happened today, and we're going to get through it. The future rests in many ways on hard, hard days like this. But we believe we owe it to the folks who were flying these vehicles as well as the folks who are working so hard on them to understand this and to move forward."

Witt said Mojave's close-knit aviation community was hit hard by the tragedy.

"When we have a mishap from the test community, we find that the test community is very small," he said. "We are human, and it hurts."

Those poor souls...

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
Re: Spaceship Crashes in the Mojave Desert
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 06:38:01 pm »
Test pilots are inherently in a dangerous line of work. It's to be expected with unreliable equipment (no matter how advanced) meant mostly for hammering out the flaws until you reach the final product.

@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 07:05:38 pm »
By the time that a test pilot is flying something with new equipment it has been (or at least should have been) tested in every possible way it can be tested without a real pilot. (and even before that it has probably gone through several simulations before it was built.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 08:07:31 pm »
Anyone ever read Chuck Yeager's autobiography? He talks about his time as a test pilot and how you are trying to push (towards) the edge of the envelope... unfortunately, that's where the stamp gets cancelled.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 08:31:57 pm »
A prototype or two blowing up is just an ordinary part of air/spacecraft design. You're not going to design a perfectly safe and reliable vehicle the first time around. That's why test pilots exist in the first place. It's like soldiers dying in war. Yeah, of course it's unfortunate, but it's just the reality of the situation.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 04:30:45 pm »
Test pilots are inherently in a dangerous line of work. It's to be expected with unreliable equipment (no matter how advanced) meant mostly for hammering out the flaws until you reach the final product.

Also testing anything designed for spaceflight, double that.

Currently the only technology we have for getting into orbit or sub orbit is basically a giant firecracker, and firecrackers can, you know, explode.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 03:59:13 pm »
I think this Kirk speech is appropriate here.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toG6aSQFF7Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toG6aSQFF7Y</a>