Author Topic: #DeflateGate  (Read 8338 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 07:14:59 pm »
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 12:38:01 am »
Etymology of the term football: A sport, played on foot, that uses a ball.

That's every sport.

OK, not quite, but if we limit ourselves to the "sports involving balls" genre, how many aren't played on foot? Polo?

One would reasonably expect that, if a sport is called "football", the foot does something more than what it does in your average *ball sport. Otherwise, there's no point in specifically putting "foot" in the name.
Σא

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 01:28:37 am »
Ice hockey?

Ringette?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 08:50:07 am »

That's every sport.

OK, not quite, but if we limit ourselves to the "sports involving balls" genre, how many aren't played on foot? Polo?

One would reasonably expect that, if a sport is called "football", the foot does something more than what it does in your average *ball sport. Otherwise, there's no point in specifically putting "foot" in the name.

It's true that playing the ball with the foot is less emphasized in gridiron football now--it's still important for teams to have a good placekicker and a good punter--but that's a product of making the defining feature of gridiron, the forward pass, more important. The shape of the ball was changed in the 1930s partly to make forward passing easier, but at the same time doing so made dropkicks harder (there's a reason why Doug Flutie's dropkicked extra point on January 1, 2006 was the first successful one since December 1941 and is one of his career highlights). Quarterbacks used to be expected to be able to surprise the defence with a quick dropkicked field goal, but the ball now bounces too unreliably for that to be feasible as a strategy. In Canadian football, it's common for the defence to position their placekicker and punter in the end zone on certain kicking plays to collect the ball and kick it out to prevent a rouge should the opposing kicker miss.

Kicking is also important in rugby football, more so union than league--a drop goal made England the first northern hemisphere team to win the Rugby World Cup, in 2003--and in Australian Rules football kicking is required for scoring. Similarly in Gaelic football goals can generally be scored only by kicking.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 02:29:08 pm »
Oddly enough, when I first read the thread title, I thought it was referring to the compression algorithm...then, I found out it was about something even more stupid.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 09:05:04 pm »
Ice hockey?

Ringette?

Played with a puck and a ring, respectively. I did specify "sports involving balls".

That's every sport.

It's true that playing the ball with the foot is less emphasized in gridiron football now--it's still important for teams to have a good placekicker and a good punter--but that's a product of making the defining feature of gridiron, the forward pass, more important. The shape of the ball was changed in the 1930s partly to make forward passing easier, but at the same time doing so made dropkicks harder (there's a reason why Doug Flutie's dropkicked extra point on January 1, 2006 was the first successful one since December 1941 and is one of his career highlights). Quarterbacks used to be expected to be able to surprise the defence with a quick dropkicked field goal, but the ball now bounces too unreliably for that to be feasible as a strategy. In Canadian football, it's common for the defence to position their placekicker and punter in the end zone on certain kicking plays to collect the ball and kick it out to prevent a rouge should the opposing kicker miss.

Kicking is also important in rugby football, more so union than league--a drop goal made England the first northern hemisphere team to win the Rugby World Cup, in 2003--and in Australian Rules football kicking is required for scoring. Similarly in Gaelic football goals can generally be scored only by kicking.

Interesting, didn't know that.
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 12:33:37 pm »
I saw one interesting take on this: by the ideal gas law, assuming the volume and amount of moles remain constant, pressure and temperature are directly proportional. Brady likes the footballs at the lowest allowed pressure, and it is likely that they were inflated to that pressure in a warm room. Therefore, once the footballs were taken outside into colder air, the pressure dropped. (Also, measuring the pressure reduces the pressure.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 03:23:39 pm »
I saw one interesting take on this: by the ideal gas law, assuming the volume and amount of moles remain constant, pressure and temperature are directly proportional. Brady likes the footballs at the lowest allowed pressure, and it is likely that they were inflated to that pressure in a warm room. Therefore, once the footballs were taken outside into colder air, the pressure dropped. (Also, measuring the pressure reduces the pressure.)

If the ball was at the lowest allowable pressure, that's 12.5 psi, and if it dropped 2 psi that's a 16% reduction. If this was a temperature effect, that means a 16% drop in absolute temperature (the stuff you measure in kelvin). Room temperature is about 300K, so a 16% reduction means losing 48°C or 86°F. That's going from human body temperature to colder than freezing.

All this without factoring in the rate at which a ball loses heat, which I'm frankly to lazy to look up.
Σא

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 05:14:14 pm »
It was a slow news day. 
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 09:39:59 pm »
The other team wasn't sportsing hard enough.

History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2015, 04:44:32 am »
So did the Patriots use the 'deflated' ball while their opponents used the actual one?  If not, wouldn't this give both teams the exact same advantage?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 05:20:31 pm »
That's the whole point of this.  The Patriots were using deflated balls while the Colts were using regular ones.  It gave the Patriots an unfair advantage due to how crappy the weather was.

Which is what I would've said had the score been closer.  You can nullify 2 touchdowns and it wouldn't have made a difference with the way the Colts were playing.

Ironbite-garbage was insulted.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 05:50:42 am »
Oh, I was under the impression that, even if they used multiple footballs throughout the game, both teams used the same ball at the same time.  I mean, if the Colts stole the ball, would the Patriots suddenly call for a time out so they could switch them out?

Granted, I'm no expert on football, but you're right.  This would make more sense if the Colts lost to the Jaguars instead of a team that made the playoffs for reasons besides deflated balls.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 06:28:18 am »
Sounds better than Saggy Balls Gate  ;)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 04:16:08 pm »
Oh, I was under the impression that, even if they used multiple footballs throughout the game, both teams used the same ball at the same time.  I mean, if the Colts stole the ball, would the Patriots suddenly call for a time out so they could switch them out?

Granted, I'm no expert on football, but you're right.  This would make more sense if the Colts lost to the Jaguars instead of a team that made the playoffs for reasons besides deflated balls.

That's the thing.  The Colts had a different set of balls to use.  They only found out the deflated balls were even a thing when Brady had a pick.  The guy who snagged it said it felt a little light and here we are.

Ironbite-you really don't understand the sports minded.