Author Topic: Sex Offender Registries and Further Punishment: The Thread  (Read 22248 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Sex Offender Registries and Further Punishment: The Thread
« on: March 17, 2013, 09:09:01 pm »
This is an offshoot from this thread, regarding the existence of sex offender registries, the ease of getting on them, and whether it's truly right to continue punishment for these crimes after the sentencing has run its course.

If you've got anything to say, we can make it here. GO!
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: Sex Offender Registries and Further Punishment: The Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:23:34 pm »
I just wanna say pissing in an alley while drunk should not be reason to get put on a sex offender registry.

History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Joey

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 11:24:26 pm »
Well, I don't like the way society in general makes it difficult for ex-cons, who have already served their time, to re-integrate back into society. Obviously if you deny them opportunities to become employed, go to school, or find stable living, they're just going to turn back to crime. Rather than rehabiliting them, you're creating life-long criminals.
"A human is a system for converting dust billions of years ago into dust billions of years from now via a roundabout process which involves checking email a lot." - XKCD

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 11:31:10 pm »
A fair point, Joey. But is sexual predation a one and done thing?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 11:44:49 pm »
A fair point, Joey. But is sexual predation a one and done thing?
If someone's a danger to the community, why are we letting them out of prison?

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 11:58:45 pm »
Well, I don't like the way society in general makes it difficult for ex-cons, who have already served their time, to re-integrate back into society. Obviously if you deny them opportunities to become employed, go to school, or find stable living, they're just going to turn back to crime. Rather than rehabiliting them, you're creating life-long criminals.
I won't say that I wouldn't want them to have jobs at all, but would anyone be comfortable with a convicted child molester taking a job where s/he would be around children?

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 12:01:49 am »
I agree with rookie. Sexual predation is seldom a one and done deal. However, we need to look at the definition of a sexual predator.

I think there is no disputing that rape, sexual molestation, and sexual assault on anyone qualifies.

Pissing in an alleyway, having a 17-yr-old banging his 16-yr-old SO, and other such trivial shit? Not so much. Society, in many cases, focuses too damned much on the punishment, and not the rehab. So, the rehab element is something to look into, so long as it doesn't wind up like a Clockwork Orange scenario.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 12:07:36 am »
So, the rehab element is something to look into, so long as it doesn't wind up like a Clockwork Orange scenario.
You mean something fucking amazing starring Malcolm McDowell?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 01:07:12 am »
So, the rehab element is something to look into, so long as it doesn't wind up like a Clockwork Orange scenario.
You mean something fucking amazing starring Malcolm McDowell?

You are aware of the message of a Clockwork Orange right?

I agree with rookie. Sexual predation is seldom a one and done deal. However, we need to look at the definition of a sexual predator.

I think there is no disputing that rape, sexual molestation, and sexual assault on anyone qualifies.

Pissing in an alleyway, having a 17-yr-old banging his 16-yr-old SO, and other such trivial shit? Not so much. Society, in many cases, focuses too damned much on the punishment, and not the rehab. So, the rehab element is something to look into, so long as it doesn't wind up like a Clockwork Orange scenario.

This.  It's so easy to get on the sex offender list it's almost laughable  If we could just take a step back and realize that public urination and underage sex, to use the two examples, are not crimes but....well the former's a stupid decision and the latter's what happens when hormones get together, we'd be better.  But we're not.

Ironbite-and that's a damn shame.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 01:11:26 am »
You know, sexual offenders are probably chronic BECAUSE they have to hide it.  I mean, with other things, it's generally a lot more okay to admit you have a problem.  It's really not okay to admit you fucked a kid, so people hide it inside.

If people can't admit they have a problem, how the hell can they resolve it?
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 01:32:17 am »
You know, sexual offenders are probably chronic BECAUSE they have to hide it.  I mean, with other things, it's generally a lot more okay to admit you have a problem.  It's really not okay to admit you fucked a kid, so people hide it inside.

I think that depends on the nature of the offense. I have wondered for some time though if the social stigma against being a pedophile or zoophile, for example (even if you've never fucked a kid or an animal), actually contributes to the problem. i.e. Maybe if the stigma wasn't so devastating, more people would be willing to admit it and get help before something happens.

In general, I think our justice system needs to focus more on rehabilitation than punishment. Just locking criminals up for X arbitrary amount of time and then letting them go, when you know they're at a high risk of reoffending is... just dumb. And it leads stuff like the sex offender registry, which is a bandaid on a broken system that just screws everyone over even more.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 01:38:17 am »

I think that depends on the nature of the offense. I have wondered for some time though if the social stigma against being a pedophile or zoophile, for example (even if you've never fucked a kid or an animal), actually contributes to the problem. i.e. Maybe if the stigma wasn't so devastating, more people would be willing to admit it and get help before something happens.

In general, I think our justice system needs to focus more on rehabilitation than punishment. Just locking criminals up for X arbitrary amount of time and then letting them go, when you know they're at a high risk of reoffending is... just dumb. And it leads stuff like the sex offender registry, which is a bandaid on a broken system that just screws everyone over even more.

Taboo is a powerful motivator.  The more taboo something is, the more appealing it is.  This is why censoring books doesn't work.

Hell, the idea of things being taboo is a marketing gimmick, for fuck's sake!
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 02:44:02 am »

I found a board where people openly admit to their problems of being pedophiles, it's specifically a board mean't for various psychological problems and they have basically taken over the paraphilla section of it. If anything it's an interesting read.  Link

Probably don't want to look at this at work.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 03:05:42 am »
This is slightly related to something that I have been wondering for a long time. Should the punishment for crimes be:

a) A deterrent/punishment. The criminals are punished harshly so that  those who would commit crimes would not dare to do it in fear of the punishment. On the other hand, once the sentence has been served doesn't this mean that they've paid their dues to the society and should be allowed to return? Or is the criminal record another part of the punishment? Fuck up once, and you will suffer for the rest of your life and be a second class citizen.

b) Protecting the innocent. The important thing is that criminal can/will not continue committing the crimes. Either by being locked up in jail or by "branding" them so that others will recognise them. (just like the sex offender registry) Or simply having some restrictions on their liberties. (people who did business related crimes can't start up a new company etc.)

c) Rehabilitation. Prisoner is kept in jail only untill they can return to the society and they receive education/counsceling to help in that endevour.

Well actually this is usually a mix of the three.

The sex offender registries is a mix of a and b, they are branded and suffer limitations to their freedom and lifechoices. The registry won't help them rehabilitate. And let's be honest:  If the offender is someone who has a compulsion to commit whatever act it was, they should get help, or be kept in a guarded location. Dumping them on the streets is bad for both the offender and the potential new victims. If the offense was a one off thing and not likely to be repeated, why is this person on a public registry? They did their time and should be back to their lives, or what is left of it.

Actually I think the registries and even criminal records themselves are causing more problems. Simply making everyone who has been convicted into a pariah makes them more likely to return to being a criminal. Which is the opposite of what the registries are supposed to do.

And there should definitely be a difference between "was seen taking a piss outside" and "raped 15 kids."

I have more to say on this subject later.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 03:20:37 am »
For whatever reason, I somehow feel that this is bordering on a derail into the prison justice system as a whole in the United States. But if not then my mistake, but before I wander off, I just felt I should point out Norway's prison system.

Inside the World's Most Humane Prison
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen