Author Topic: [removed]  (Read 6312 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: British politician dies after being stabbed by suspected neo-fascist
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2016, 11:07:03 pm »
Well, obviously now I can find such articles. But the one I read earlier (not the one in OP. I skipped that one before making my first comment here.) didn't mention a gun, just a stabbing.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2016, 11:43:26 pm »
Well, obviously now I can find such articles. But the one I read earlier (not the one in OP. I skipped that one before making my first comment here.) didn't mention a gun, just a stabbing.

How soon after the attack was it? Pure speculation: they may have been waiting for more confirmation that a gun was involved, given how strict the UK's gun laws are.

(EDIT: Fixing punctuation issue.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 12:21:39 am by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 11:46:42 pm »
Yeah, that's possible too.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 03:23:44 pm »
News is imperfect. I'd bet a nice bit of coin that this nationalist was motivated to some degree by the upcoming Brexit referendum (it has a lot of support among nationalists and conservatives over there), but that's being given short-shrift.

I'll take that bet but you're gonna regret because he's already been arraigned.

He's given his name as "Death to Traitors, Freedom to Britain

Thomas Mair has given his name as “death to traitors, freedom for Britain” during his appearance in court charged with the murder of Labour MP Jo Cox.
Mair, 52, from Birstall, was formally charged at Westminster magistrates court on Saturday with the murder of Joanne Cox, grievous bodily harm, possession of a firearm with intent to commit an indictable offence and possession of an offensive weapon.

Asked to confirm his name, Mair said: “My name is death to traitors, freedom for Britain.” The judge then asked the defendant’s lawyers to confirm that his name was Thomas Mair, which they did.

Mair was not required to enter a plea and his lawyer Keith Allen said there was no indication of what plea would be given. He also told the court that legal aid had been applied for.

The deputy chief magistrate Emma Arbuthnot ordered that Mair be remanded in custody until his next appearance, at the Old Bailey on Monday. He will be held at Belmarsh prison and Arbuthnot suggested that a psychiatric report be prepared, saying: “Bearing in mind the name he has just given, he ought to be seen by a psychiatrist.”

Cox was killed on Thursday lunchtime outside Birstall public library, where she had been planning to run a constituency surgery. The 41-year-old MP for Batley and Spen was declared dead at 1.48pm after being shot several times and stabbed.

Prosecutor David Cawthorne, from the counter-terrorism division of the Crown Prosecution Service, told the court that Cox had visited a primary school and care home on Thursday morning, before heading to the library with colleagues for a pre-arranged surgery with her constituents. She was stabbed and fell to the ground, where she was shot and stabbed further.

Bernard Kenny, 77, was waiting for his wife in his car outside the library, Cawthorne said.

Kenny had recognised Cox and saw a man approach and stab her. He intervened and was stabbed in the abdomen and retreated into a nearby sandwich shop, the court heard.

No indication was given as to how Mair would plead and he was remanded in custody until a bail application hearing on Monday. The prosecution later confirmed that, because of the nature of the offence and the victim, the protocol was to hear the case in London.

Ironbite-of course the press is kinda downplaying this but it's fair to say where he falls on the political scale.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 04:09:23 pm »
You do realize that the Brexit referendum is largely being pushed by British conservatives and nationalists (like the person here), and that Jo Cox was in favor of staying within the Eurozone. Hence why I said, "to some degree."
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 04:42:39 pm »
Pretty sure it's a lot of degrees there.

Ironbite-maybe a whole circle.

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 04:47:28 pm »
I have to say I'm on Queen's side there.

The guy's a right-wing terrorist either way, but the specific time and the identity of his target are too on the nose for them not to be connected to the Brexit issue.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 05:13:08 pm »
Pretty sure it's a lot of degrees there.

Ironbite-maybe a whole circle.

But what you're not understanding is that the rhetoric in favor of leaving the EU and the Eurozone is largely that the British politicians are putting other nations and other people before the interests of the British. The nationalists in Britain are using the referendum to push fears of immigration, playing off the bigotry, xenophobia, and nationalistic-populism of the masses. The rhetoric is getting incredibly heated, with accusations that Britons are losing their not only their economic power, but their national identity to boot. Think Deimos, only with a posh accent. Not surprising, the group Britain First, which the murderer allegedly shouted, is in support of Brexit. What I'm trying to say is that even if this wasn't at the forefront of his mind in the attack, in many ways, the rhetoric surrounding the issue is similar to the heated rhetoric prior to Gabby Gifford's shooting.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2016, 05:16:38 pm »
I'm really not that dumb Queen despite how I portray myself on these forums.  This is the same rhetoric that all isolationists have used from time immemorial.  Hell its the same techniques as well.  It's nothing new sadly.

Ironbite-though I could honestly hope these morons would do something different for once.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2016, 05:22:50 pm »
I'm really not that dumb Queen despite how I portray myself on these forums.  This is the same rhetoric that all isolationists have used from time immemorial.  Hell its the same techniques as well.  It's nothing new sadly.

Ironbite-though I could honestly hope these morons would do something different for once.

I never said you were dumb, just that you were wrong.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2016, 07:56:12 pm »

I never said you were dumb, just that you were wrong.

Although those things aren't mutually exclusive. The MP was an active campaigner to keep Britain in the EU. To use an analogy, this whacko's right wing nationalist beliefs were the tinder, the stress of the brexit vote was the spark.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2016, 11:32:22 pm »
I have to say I'm on Queen's side there.

The guy's a right-wing terrorist either way, but the specific time and the identity of his target are too on the nose for them not to be connected to the Brexit issue.
Yeah, Farage stirs up all the crazies and one of them goes all stabby.

Of course it's fucking connected!