Author Topic: You can't stay cool at school  (Read 3339 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
You can't stay cool at school
« on: May 31, 2014, 01:21:01 am »
Without violating a dress code, at any rate...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/bra-straps-too-hot-for-menihek-high-students-sent-home-1.2657903

About 30 students at Menihek High School in Labrador City, N.L., were sent home because of attire deemed to have violated the school's dress code — including wearing sleeveless shirts and having bra straps exposed.

The students — a couple of males and the rest females — were told by school officials that their clothing had violated the dress code. The boys were in sleeveless shirts, and the girls were wearing tanks that could reveal their bra straps.

Emily Connors, one of the students who was sent home, said she didn't plan to be a distraction to anyone — she just wanted to be comfortable during an unseasonably warm day at school.

Some stuff from a gender studies professor at Memorial University Newfoundland: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/bra-strap-furor-at-labrador-school-made-teen-girls-scapegoats-1.2658783

A professor at Memorial University in St. John's says the teenage girls who were sent home from school for wearing clothing considered contrary to the dress code are scapegoats, and that the male students and teachers they apparently were distracting should be the ones under the microscope.

And the same thing happened in Quebec: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/beaconsfield-school-sends-teen-home-for-too-short-shorts-1.2659465

Grade 11 student Lindsey Stocker and her classmates at Beaconsfield High School in Quebec were told to stand up in class last week so a pair of school officials could look at their outfits.

Put your arms by your sides, and if your shorts or skirts don’t reach your fingertips, you’re in violation of the school’s dress code, the officials told the students.

Really, the whole thing is insulting to everyone: to girls who are forced to wear clothing unsuitable for the weather (and who are forced to prove it as described above), and to boys who are also forced to wear such clothing and for the implication that they will invariably be distracted by such things.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: You can't stay cool at school
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 02:21:38 am »
This has been the standard policy everywhere I know of for quite a while.

I mean, we can't having anyone seeing someone's shoulder. It gets the boys (and girls and teachers) so hot and bothered that they just can't pay attention! It's impeding the valuable learning I'm sure they're doing. I mean, if it weren't for seeing all those shoulders, then maybe people would know grammar and be able to type a competent paragraph these day! Don't even get me started on those stupid, sexy, elastic straps.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 02:55:51 am »
This has been the standard policy everywhere I know of for quite a while.

I mean, we can't having anyone seeing someone's shoulder. It gets the boys (and girls and teachers) so hot and bothered that they just can't pay attention! It's impeding the valuable learning I'm sure they're doing. I mean, if it weren't for seeing all those shoulders, then maybe people would know grammar and be able to type a competent paragraph these day! Don't even get me started on those stupid, sexy, elastic straps.

We wouldn't have to worry about shoulders if we stopped girls from whoring their ankles around, I tell you.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 08:22:47 am »
Hell, maybe they ought to wear burqas.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 08:51:58 am »
*GAH!* C'mon Canada! You're better than this! *SHEESH*!

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 10:33:43 am »
If anything is a distraction, it's these stupid dress codes. 

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 01:37:53 pm »
It never ceases to amaze me that dress codes have become much more restrictive then they were when I was a student...4 decades ago! WTF?!?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 02:00:02 pm »
It never ceases to amaze me that dress codes have become much more restrictive then they were when I was a student...4 decades ago! WTF?!?

I know, right? 

Makes me glad I graduated when I did.  When I went to school it was nowhere near as restricted as things seem to be today.  Back then it was school, which sucked, but was tolerable and even enjoyable in parts...  now it seems to be more and more like  Prison Lite.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 02:15:39 pm »
I think that was dumb for them to gig them on small infractions like that.

I believe what also doesn't help is when the dress code is not consistently enforced throughout the year.  One high school not too far away from where I lived tried to enforce the dress code during finals week.  This is what happened next:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eh-bJgasz5o

Here is a news report on this as well:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0RuU_oHn1zU
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 02:24:22 pm by Kat S. »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 02:41:28 pm »
I believe what also doesn't help is when the dress code is not consistently enforced throughout the year.

To be fair on this point, the dress code may well have been being enforced at the schools in question--there just weren't any violators because the weather was too cold to make wearing sleeveless tops, tank tops, or shorts practical or desirable.

In fact, here's the dress code for the Labrador school, dated May 2012: http://www.inetteacher.com/upload2/204500/docs/school_dress_code_summary1_for_website.may2014.pdf

And similarly for the Quebec school: http://beaconsfield.lbpsb.qc.ca/conduct.htm#behaviour
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 05:40:46 pm »
Ya know, this is actually appropriate: (From Dork Dungeons)

Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 06:11:41 pm »
The hippies got old, scared, and disappointed with how their lives turned out, and decided that they don't want that to happen to this generation so the things that they enjoyed in their youth can't be allowed for the sake of the children.

Sadly, I'm only halfway joking.

...and sorry about calling you old mel.  ;)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 11:33:45 pm »
Also, it seems like the modern tendency is to be reactionary with zero focus on the root of the problem. One kid too many doesn't follow the rules with being allowed to leave campus for lunch? Everyone gets banned from leaving campus period during the school day without signed permission slips from the administration. A few boys act like retards over a girl (inadvertently or otherwise) showing off her bra strap? Ban the girls from exposing flesh.

There also tends to be a lot of sexism in how the dress code is enforced: guys rarely get a second glance, while girls are constantly told to cover up and avoid "distracting the boys".
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 12:08:56 am »
It's usually phrased, "Don't distract everyone with your sinful flesh" but the gist is clear.  Boys are so short of attention that the merest sight of female flesh is enough to get them hot and heavy and raring to go.

Ironbite-which is why they shower naked together.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 05:22:19 pm »
To drive that point home, concerning those bozos in Utah....
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/06/06/yearbook-hypocrisy/
This made me fume.

The hippies got old, scared, and disappointed with how their lives turned out, and decided that they don't want that to happen to this generation so the things that they enjoyed in their youth can't be allowed for the sake of the children.

Sadly, I'm only halfway joking.

...and sorry about calling you old mel.  ;)

No. It's because the Right-Wing/Moral "Majority"/Teahadi/Republican Jesus-freaks tend to run for school boards and stuff. Methinks that school boards could be reclaimed if progressives bothered to run in droves!

What gets me is that this whole sexual double-standard thing runs on Insane Troll Logic.

In a nutshell:

* Women need to be covered up because they can cause guys to think "impure thoughts" & stuff.
* The fact that hot guys can make a woman have "impure thoughts" is never considered.
* The idea is that women have no sex drive or something....
* YET women are by nature creatures of lust & therefore hussies.....
* Which means women can think such "shameful" thoughts about men.
* Yet women alone are restricted & covered up.

You see the inconsistency, here?

I've come down to the conclusion that all this male chauvinist silliness for the past several millennia, like religious frummerism is not about "sexual purity" or "stronger piety" (respectively). It's purely about control & power for control & power's sake. Nothing more & nothing less. Some males want to dominate, control & abuse women because they, as males, are wimpy losers with massive but fragile egos.

It's all about "Dominance & Power For Funsies".

Such guys should be reviled as non-men, half-men, losers, wimps, worms, weaklings, guys to give wedgies & swirlies to. "Macho" should be synonymous with "Wimp". That's not strong, potent, manly-man masculinity! That's big dumb psychopathic control-freak loser.

Traditional masculinity should be more like "Big MacIntosh of MLP FiM", not "Conan The Taliban Gangsta".
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 05:39:53 pm by SpukiKitty »