Author Topic: You can't sell your cake and discriminate too!  (Read 6157 times)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: You can't sell your cake and discriminate too!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 04:44:51 pm »
I don't see it being too much longer before GA legalizes SSM.  The more members of the old boy network die off, the more progressive policy has become.  Most people I've talked to my age and younger either don't mind, or don't care if it was legalized. 

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 06:19:41 pm »
Let's do a Follow up to this.

Pastor and right-wing radio host Kevin Swanson has some choice words surrounding the closing of an Oregon bakery that rejected a lesbian couple's wedding cake job, and is offering advice for all Christians considering attending same-sex nuptials: hold up a sign informing the happy couple that they are an abomination and "should be put to death."

"This is what homosexuals do best," Swansom stated on his program. "They will engage in their Pink Mafia, their effort to control and shut down business that do not cooperate with their agenda...I think you can attend a [gay] wedding if you hold up a sign that reads Leviticus 20:13 ... I guess it comes down to if you bake a cake for a homosexual wedding you could put Leviticus 20:13 on the cake."

Seriously bro?  You're gonna focus totally on Leviticus 20:13?  What about the other stuff that particular passage covers.  You gonna follow that as well?

Ironbite-just shut up and eat your crow because cake is too good for you.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 07:56:41 pm »
I'm glad it's illegal, personally, I'm of the mindset that all businesses need to be carefully controlled, regulated, and kept on a tighter leash than a disobedient sub. That said, nice to see a boycott working. I've never seen that before.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 11:18:42 pm »
I'm glad it's illegal, personally, I'm of the mindset that all businesses need to be carefully controlled, regulated, and kept on a tighter leash than a disobedient sub. That said, nice to see a boycott working. I've never seen that before.
Well, birthday cakes are a pseudo-luxury item, and as such are much easier to boycott efficiently than, say... something like Wallmart.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 11:31:50 pm »

On the other hand, businesses fail all the time for reasons entirely unrelated to boycotts. It could simply be that the bakery was going through a rough time financially and they chose to frame it as being persecuted for their faith. I don't really know either way, but it seems a possibility worth considering.
Σא

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 12:37:01 am »
Let's do a Follow up to this.

Pastor and right-wing radio host Kevin Swanson has some choice words surrounding the closing of an Oregon bakery that rejected a lesbian couple's wedding cake job, and is offering advice for all Christians considering attending same-sex nuptials: hold up a sign informing the happy couple that they are an abomination and "should be put to death."

"This is what homosexuals do best," Swansom stated on his program. "They will engage in their Pink Mafia, their effort to control and shut down business that do not cooperate with their agenda...I think you can attend a [gay] wedding if you hold up a sign that reads Leviticus 20:13 ... I guess it comes down to if you bake a cake for a homosexual wedding you could put Leviticus 20:13 on the cake."

Seriously bro?  You're gonna focus totally on Leviticus 20:13?  What about the other stuff that particular passage covers.  You gonna follow that as well?

Ironbite-just shut up and eat your crow because cake is too good for you.

I'd rather get them a "Pink Mafia" cake.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 03:52:10 pm »

On the other hand, businesses fail all the time for reasons entirely unrelated to boycotts. It could simply be that the bakery was going through a rough time financially and they chose to frame it as being persecuted for their faith. I don't really know either way, but it seems a possibility worth considering.
If they're telling the truth, and orders did start getting canceled because of this, it's due to the boycott, me thinks.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 04:10:52 pm »
Or simply a case of "Customers taking their business elsewhere."

Boycotts have to be organized, but bad business is just bad business.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 04:20:39 pm »

Um, isn't large numbers of customers taking their business elsewhere due to actions by a company the very definition of a boycott?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2013, 05:23:37 pm »

Um, isn't large numbers of customers taking their business elsewhere due to actions by a company the very definition of a boycott?

Nnnnnnnot one iota.  See:  Amy's Baking Company, where the crazy from that mess resulted in lost business.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2013, 05:31:39 pm »

Nnnnnnnot one iota.  See:  Amy's Baking Company, where the crazy from that mess resulted in lost business.
Isn't that... people boycotting them?

boy·cott
ˈboiˌkät/Submit
verb
withdraw from commercial or social relations with (a country, organization, or person) as a punishment or protest.
synonyms:   spurn, snub, shun, avoid, abstain from, wash one's hands of, turn one's back on, reject, veto More
antonyms:   support
refuse to buy or handle (goods) as a punishment or protest.
refuse to cooperate with or participate in (a policy or event).
noun
noun: boycott; plural noun: boycotts
a punitive ban that forbids relations with certain groups, cooperation with a policy, or the handling of goods.
synonyms:   ban, veto, embargo, prohibition, sanction, restriction; More

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2013, 06:28:49 pm »
Yeah, have to go with PHH there. If you're refusing to give business to a place due to their business practices, whether it be anti-homosexuality rhetoric or being run by lunatic criminals, by definition you're boycotting them.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 06:44:58 pm »
Thirded... I don't see what else it could be called.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013, 10:54:12 pm »
I guess the issue is whether you think it only counts as a boycott if such an action is organized vs. spontaneous.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2013, 11:12:38 pm »
I guess the issue is whether you think it only counts as a boycott if such an action is organized vs. spontaneous.

A boycott's a boycott. Nowhere in any legitimate definition does a boycott have to be an organized action. It's like saying that someone holding up an anti-corporate sign outside of Walmart isn't really protesting because they didn't organize a protest.