Author Topic: You can't sell your cake and discriminate too!  (Read 6128 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
You can't sell your cake and discriminate too!
« on: September 06, 2013, 12:32:21 am »
In May 2013, the baker’s problems went viral after she refused to make a cake for Cryer and Bowman’s ceremony. After media outlets across the nation picked up the story, the Kleins were inundated with angry e-mails and phone calls. In the end, Melissa said that this reaction resulted in a major loss of business.

“Just the whole being affected big time in our wedding industry part of the business — the vendors not referring us any more,” Melissa said when asked how the incident impacted her business. “We coasted it through the summer to see how it would be. We had quite a few wedding cakes that we had booked and people cancelled. The referrals that we would get, none of those came in.”
This is what’s known as being biatch slapped by the invisible hand, alienate you customers and bankruptcy usually follows. Refusing to make a wedding cake for a homosexual couple for religious reasons when a contract is entered into and this occurs in Oregon thus the Oregon Equality Act of 2007 is a very bad idea. TL:DR version:

Under Oregon law, Oregonians cannot be denied service based on sexual orientation. The law provides an exemption for religious organizations and schools, but does not allow private business owners to discriminate based on sexual orientation, just as they cannot legally deny service based on race, sex, age, veteran status, disability or religion.

Of course this is but another stupid, bigoted and inevitably self-destructive course of action taken by a fundie. Especially since wedding cake sales during the summer comprised a majority of the revenue. Fun fact, where were all the other bigots to support the cake shop? Another bakery, Charm City Cakes, took advantage of this situation for free publicity.

Fret not for the finical future of Melissa and her family, they will be milking the persecuted Christian routine for every cent while conducting business form home.

They will also be homeschooling their five children because of: property damage, angry e-mails and Facebook groups. I’m not ok with the property damage everything else is typical internet stuff. Those poor kids are going to get the nonstop derp treatment.

But wait, here comes the hypocrisy! The following are AAAWWWWWRITE as discovered and transcribed by Willamette Week:
Baby Shower cake for a baby out of wedlock:
WW Asks - I’m shopping around for a nice baby shower cake for my friend. It’s her second baby with her boyfriend so I’m not looking for anything too big or fancy—probably enough to serve 15 to 20 people.
Sweet Cake says - “We have a sheet cake that will feed 30, or a 10-inch cake that would feed 30 people. The 10-inch cake is $50 and the sheet cake is $52. Or we have an 8-inch cake that would feed 15 for $40.”

Divorce Party:
WW Asks - My friend is getting divorced and we’d like to throw her a little party to mark the start of her new life. Do you ever write messages on those—we’d want it to say “congratulations!”—and how much would it be for a cake that could serve about eight people?
Sweet Cake says - “A 10-inch is $29.99. That should probably do it....We can definitely do something like that.”

Pagan Solstice Party
WW Asks - I was calling to get a quote on a cake for a midsummer solstice party. My coven is celebrating on Friday, June 21. The decoration would be very simple: just a green pentagram. We’d like to pick it up sometime that afternoon, before the bonfire. It’ll be for about 30 people.
Sweet Cake says - “For 30 poeople we have a couple options... We have two kind of cakes you could have. About the diagram you want on the cake, I’m not sure how much extra that would be.”

Finally a sampling of the insane comments seen so far:
Gays are the real bullies!
(click to show/hide)

FOREIGNERS DUN DIDIT!
(click to show/hide)

OH NOES CROSSDRESSERS!
(click to show/hide)

It’s not fair to the racists! BBAAAAWWWW!
(click to show/hide)

Homosexuality = NAMBLA
(click to show/hide)

OBAMA DUN DIDIT!
(click to show/hide)

It’s a trifecta!
(click to show/hide)

JEWS DUN DIDIT!
(click to show/hide)
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
Re: You can't sell your cake and discriminate too!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 01:14:28 am »
*goes out* *harvests Neocon tears* *returns*

What? I've been needing to restock for a while.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 01:24:30 am »
This is so stupid. I still think you should have the right to sell to who you want to. If you wanna be stupid enough to get rid of the revenue by denying queers, whatever, should be your choice.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 01:40:50 am by Hofstadter's Tortoise »
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 01:30:06 am »
This is so stupid. I still think you should have the right to sell to who you want to. If you wanna be stupid enough to get the revenue by denying queers, whatever, should be your choice.

Yeah, at least in cases like this cake shop. Pharmacies and such are an exception because that can be a case of life and death.

But not getting a cake or being denied from getting into a restaurant for example, though a dick move and discriminatory, is not that big of a deal. I mean I wouldn't go into a place that discriminates like that, but I don't think it should be outlawed.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 02:14:11 am »
I like the foreigners one which suggests that there is a culture of indoctrinated manly homosexuality in Australia. C'mon Bruce stop crying! Its only a cock in your arse, strewth, anyone would think your some sort of poofta.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 02:17:48 am »
I like the foreigners one which suggests that there is a culture of indoctrinated manly homosexuality in Australia. C'mon Bruce stop crying! Its only a cock in your arse, strewth, anyone would think your some sort of poofta.

Shoulda thought ahead before joining the philosophy department.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 02:21:45 am »

Shoulda thought ahead before joining the philosophy department.

Look Bruce, I wasn't making a Monty Python joke.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 03:16:32 am »
Isn't it so funny, that because people are speaking out on the bigotry of evangelist Christians, they go crying persecution.

I'll have a kinder impression of devoutly religious people in general anymore once a majority of them stops being oversensitive despite their hostility towards others, intolerant to criticism and taking themselves too seriously.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 05:02:58 am »
The rest of the comments are pretty standard, so the random Aussie hate just baffles me.

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 05:22:52 am »
...Australia is one of the most homophobic cultures in the world...
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 05:38:03 am »
In the West, maybe. In the world? Don't really think that's true.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 03:22:37 pm »

Actually that is changing very very rapidly. There is still an entrenched macho-man element that just can't fathom the unfairness of homophobia, but they are in the minority and rapidly aging, if older, or rapidly becoming socially unacceptable, if younger. It is a rough and tumble work of social acceptance in progress, witness Hofstadter's difficulties at school for a prime example, but things are getting better, and getting better faster every day. So, please hang in their Aussie forumites, and keep up the good fight.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 03:28:15 pm »

• Saudi Arabia (punishable by death)
  • Iran (punishable by death)
  • Iraq (punishable by death)
  • Yemen (punishable by death)
  • Somalia (punishable by death)
  • Uganda (soon to be punishable by death, currently punishable by imprisonment)
  • United Arab Emirates (punishable by imprisonment)
  • Russia (punishable by imprisonment)

The list goes on...

Meanwhile in Australia, homosexuality is not a crime, but subject to harassment, much like in the Southern United States.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 03:52:29 pm »
You'd be surprised.  I've seen more gay folks out and about round here with impunity lately than I ever have.  So... Oz may be a little bit worse than us, even.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 04:00:39 pm »
Even though I'm aware that Georgia is a largely homophobic state and same-sex marriage is totally illegal. Then again, here in Texas there is also a large LGBT population and also along some of the largest, and same-sex marriage is also illegal.

Both are because these are largely religious states and homosexuality is considered "a sin". Well I'm surprised tattoos, consumption of pork and shellfish and clothing to two different materials are legal in those states if these assholes are going to follow the word of Leviticus, also later discredited in the New Testament.