Author Topic: Re-enactors roll call  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re-enactors roll call
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:40:53 am »
I just remembered that we had this topic in the old forum so we might as well revisit it.

I am in SCA (and I know that some -including some scadians- do not consider it re-enactment) and I might as well start by posting some pics of me in my gear.
First, my newest garb (I'm the one in red. We got picked as the guardsmen of the Queen of Drachenwald. [SCA thing, long story.]) after few years in SCA I finally decided on a persona from late 14th / early 15th century but this first pic is my first civilian attire of the era. (I do have some viking and english clothing already, but that was back when I wasn't really sure about what century I would like to be.) On the other hand with my armour I'm trying to go for Teutonic order-look.

I'll add some pics about my armour and other gear later.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:48:25 am by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
Re: Re-enactors roll call
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 12:00:03 pm »
I would love to do some reenacting, but at the moment, I just don't have the time or resources.

I am, however, studying medieval German swordfighting.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 07:58:01 pm »
So was it all just hack and hack and hack and hack or was there some form of subtlety?

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 08:24:37 pm »
My father-in-law does US Civil War enactment. He was even an extra in the movie Gettysburg. I don't have any pictures of him in his uniform (Union), though.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 10:12:39 pm »
So was it all just hack and hack and hack and hack or was there some form of subtlety?
It was MUCH more sophisticated and subtle than a lot of people realize, and relied more on quickness and technique than on strength.

This is a good sample of the style I'm learning:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC5FIyfI8TA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC5FIyfI8TA</a>

This is what it looks like at full speed and intensity (I'm nowhere near this... yet)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjT4JepA-Vc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjT4JepA-Vc</a>

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 04:25:08 pm »
I once reacted the Battle of Shiloh.  None of the other guys showed up, however, so it was both unrealistic and exhausting.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 03:27:39 am »
Here's what I did on my last weekend:

I'm the guy in the middle with a black cross on white. For some reason most of the time that I got on camera it only shows my back.

Although here is one that shows that my helmet got a bit too low and I can't even see properly.

And here I am pummeling someone.

And here I am getting pummeled with a polearm.

Overall it was a fun weekend. Kinda shame that I couldn't spend the whole 9 days at the event, but I couldn't really afford it and what with the baby I'm lucky that I got out there even for a weekend.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!