Author Topic: More shenanigans at Worldcon  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
More shenanigans at Worldcon
« on: July 24, 2018, 01:30:58 am »
https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/worldcon-2018-diversity-nominees/

Deadnaming and misgendering a Hugo nominee, refusing panels by POC, refusing panels from Hugo nominees because non-white writers aren't well known enough... This is not OK. I'll write more after breakfast.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: More shenanigans at Worldcon
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 01:43:02 am »
On the front page of the forum, I just saw "More shenanigans at Worl..."

My mind jumped to "World Cup" and I'm not sure whether to be disappointed or relieved that it wasn't that.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 02:06:18 am »
https://twitter.com/worldcon2018/status/1021259052033064960

Why am I not surprised that the guy who steps in only to insult the transperson is also a Trump supporter, gun-nut, low effort memer and seems to think that making other people upset is winning...

Anyway, according to the Worldcon organizer who put up the writers bio she got it from net and didn't change anything. According to the writer they have never used "he" pronoun for themselves (and as they apparently write under their current name I don't get how they'd accidentally get a wrong bio up accidentally) and that people misgendering them is becoming more and more common but usually they get the courtesy of seeing the text first and can inform the people to refer to them with the proper pronouns...

Also sad that the writer was up for 3 nominations but could afford to only go to one con and chose the one that would mistreat them...

And this wasn't isolated, someone resigned from the organizers because this type of treatment of minorities was prevalent in the event...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 10:16:42 am »
Well, if they're looking for Hugo nominees to fill the void, might I suggest one Mr. Chuck Tingle?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.