Author Topic: Afghan Mullah's Sharia Defense Shot Down  (Read 5622 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Afghan Mullah's Sharia Defense Shot Down
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:59:26 pm »
http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/reports/news/a30751/prison-for-afghan-mullah-who-raped-a-10-year-old-girl-inside-his-mosque/

Extraordinary events have taken place inside a Kabul courtroom this week. Back in May, a 10-year-old girl was raped inside a mosque in a remote Afghan village. The mullah responsible – Mohammad Amin – had asked three young girls to clean for him when he started behaving inappropriately. The girls made a run for it, only one of them tripped and fell in a stream. Amin dragged her back inside the mosque, where she was raped and left with serious injuries.

According to Sharia Law, which the Mullah tried to rely on in court, rape is considered a form of adultery for which both parties are responsible. Amin's defence lawyers argued that he should be sentenced to 100 lashes and then released – but that would have meant the girl also receiving the same punishment.

However, Judge Mohammad Suliman Rasuli slammed Amin's defence, pointing out that the victim "cannot commit adultery; she is a child. This is rape." Instead, the judge sentenced Amin to 20 years in prison.

Maybe Afghanistan is changing for the better.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Afghan Mullah's Sharia Defense Shot Down
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 09:41:02 pm »
Wow... still heartbreaking for the girl, having read the article, but dang.  This is a welcome surprise.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 12:55:32 am »
Given how these kind of stories normally go, I am genuinely surprised, and actually glad.
So often these stories involve the Mullah raping the girl and then getting the other girls parents to basically hand them over to him so he can rape them too. Ending with the girls either being forced to marry him and be his little slaves for the rest of their lives, or they get stoned by relatives in the village center.

That the two others managed to get away safely, and that they are actually seen as victims, and that the Mullah got 20 years in prison for this is downright astonishing. Astonishing in a good way. I suppose you get so used to seeing the corrupt power of religion, especially in the middle east, Africa and India, that you loose all hope of seeing justice actually served for once.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 02:22:54 am »
I like that judge already.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 06:50:22 am »
It still doesn't preclude the fact that if his victim had been an adult it might still have been considered adultery on the victims part under Sharia law, but-good result anyway.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 07:28:55 am »
If she had been an adult, that's how the court would have decided.  Thankfully there was some sanity exercised here

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:11:21 pm »
Beautiful news! There's hope for Afghanistan yet!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 09:46:33 am »
However, it has been reported that after the trial, the girl's father did not look at or speak to his daughter. The girl reportedly tried to follow her father after he turned his back and walked out of the courtroom but she stopped when she saw that he was not going to speak to her. Heartbreakingly, she just gazed at him until his back was gone.

Father of the year, right there.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 02:40:57 am »
However, it has been reported that after the trial, the girl's father did not look at or speak to his daughter. The girl reportedly tried to follow her father after he turned his back and walked out of the courtroom but she stopped when she saw that he was not going to speak to her. Heartbreakingly, she just gazed at him until his back was gone.

Father of the year, right there.

It wouldn't surprise me if she is forced to live on the streets after this. As far as her family is concerned she is now tainted, broken goods, of no worth to the family anymore. As bad as the objectifying and ownership of women is in the middle east, the coldness of it just makes it so much worse.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 10:06:06 am »
Exhibit A in "Why Horrible People Should NEVER Be Parents."
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 10:06:57 am »
Maybe he should get the hundred lashes.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 10:08:16 am »
If horrible people didn't breed, then the species would've died out a long time ago.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 03:44:58 pm »
I still think we need to encourage a different form of family honor - the kind where you respond to your daughter's rape by killing the rapist in a bloody and gruesome fashion.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 03:55:06 pm »
If horrible people didn't breed, then the species would've died out a long time ago.
...Or not. Now I am pondering if the lack of horrible people having kids would have reduced our numbers below the extinction point because that would still leave the decent, or at least not completely horrible people to have kids and presumably take the place of the horrible people's kids.

Child mortality rates used to be higher but if there had been less kids it could have meant that these kids would have had better chances of survival due to getting more attention.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 03:56:13 pm »
I think Art is saying humans are horrible.