Author Topic: Tabletop Game Thread  (Read 63520 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Tabletop Game Thread
« Reply #285 on: December 22, 2016, 03:03:19 pm »
Shadowrun... The team had been hired to find a stolen paracritter that does something horrible to nearby electronics. This took two sessions and I missed the first one which was all diplomacy and detective work thanks to a new player with a dedicated social character. ...Then I came along and subtlety and diplomacy went out the window.

We had a list of Vory safehouses but instead of scouting a Vory warehouse in astral like a proper magician I completely forgot about that option and the team stormed a well guarded Russian mob hideout. Explosions, gunfire, dead and nearly dead mobsters all over the place. But no macguffin. Instead we found a gun shipment.

Since we didn't have a better idea we gave the police an anonymous tip and moved on to the next location. ...this time I did remember that I can just walk through walls in the astral space and we found another gun shipment with a lot more guards in one location and the missin paracritter in another.

More violence followed  but we got the job done. Only problems are that now the Vory REALLY hate us and they already trashed one of our cars. Next session begins during the next day/night when our mistakes finally catch up to us.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #286 on: January 19, 2017, 05:01:25 pm »
I'm kinda disappointed in the GM for not killing my character. I mean, he was fighting with a massive Force 12 spirit that looked like an octopus monster that was strangling him with tentacles but even though everyone had seen enough hentai to know how that should have ended the creature just waited until my character knocked himself out with spell Drain and then dropped it on the deck of the ship.

That would have been an easy kill. That should have been an easy kill but he just went soft.

Still, the job did pay well.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #287 on: January 24, 2017, 12:49:26 am »
The schedule for the team:

"Adler's* job on monday, Mr. Drago's** job on wednesday, on friday we are going to brawl*** and if we have time, though we likely won't, we will go punch the Humanis in the face."

*Ms. Adler is a gunsmith who supplies and mods the team's weapons.

**Mr. Drago is either a dragon who doesn't bother with a good disguise or just a mage powerful (and stupid) enough to try to make people think he is a dragon. Either case, he pays well and/or threatens to kill the team and finds dangerous jobs for them.

***One of the team members got friendly with a gay go-gang of Orks and Trolls and they have some sort of gang war brewing up and wanted to know if the team wishes to join in on the "fun."

...And no one needs an excuse to punch the Humanis in the face.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #288 on: January 24, 2017, 03:49:08 pm »
But you're going to anyways because you should always punch Nazis in the face.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #289 on: February 02, 2017, 09:09:06 am »
Welp....did a bad ass thing in Rise of the Runelords last night.

Ok so picture this.  I play a wizard with a......well affinity to burning down things.  Like a lot.  Luthor had previously started a wildfire that....burned down all of the farms and a good chunk of Sandpoint which got him arrested and was going to be sentenced to death in Magnimar.  But, a certain justice took wind of such a talented wizard and decided to recruit him into the court system forcefully.  By putting a geas on Luthor.  So yeah.  Luthor is in a bit of a pickle.  Managed to get his friends up to Magnimar, the Justice was pleased then altered the geas so that Luthor now worked for him for all things.  Yeah you can see where this is going.

Well last night we were investigating a lumber mill that was connected to another guy we murdered beyond murdered and who's there?  Well spoilers.

(click to show/hide)

Ironbite-So yeah bad ass moment right there and I don't have to go with a new character

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #290 on: February 02, 2017, 09:25:46 am »
Can he go up against geas like that? And doesn't this just mean that once he back up he will have to obey it and try to kill his friend?

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #291 on: February 02, 2017, 10:21:59 am »
You would think that but Hero Points make all things possible.  I'll post the video once Brett's done uploading it so you can see what happens afterwards.

Ironbite-it's....funny.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #292 on: February 02, 2017, 04:37:03 pm »
Again with the complications in the game.

Last session, which I did not write about, had the team handling two missions at once, helping one contact take down a gun-running operation (kidnapped one person to get the necessary information out of him and then triggered a gas alarm at the syndicate warehouse, locked the doors so that the crew couldn't escape and let the authorities get the credit for taking down a massive criminal operation) AND helping the Vory by giving them the info on the smugglers working on that operation so that they could snatch them onto their team. This also means that the Vory no longer have a bounty on the team for the stuff they previously did to them...

This time they got another difficult job from their friendly neighbourhood Johnson who told them to hunt down an Ex-Nazi Nosferatu. ...And catch him alive AND as undamaged as possible so that the Johnson can have a chat with him as they apparently do every 20 years. (For the record, the Nosferatu was based on a real guy. A German who had been a guard in Auswitch and who later became a target of the Neo-Nazis because he keeps talking about the Holocaust and the nightmares he still sees even though the Neo-Nazis explain that all of that is just fake stories that the Jews made up and that he couldn't have possibly seen or done the things he talks about.)

...Not only does the team have a hard time tracking him they also have trouble thinking of a method that would catch him in combat. Because either they don't use enough force and he runs away or they use too much force and he dies. (GM seems to think that the latter possibility is not very high but we have a few ideas.) So the best we can think of is letting the Face talk to him and make him come peacefully. ...Unfortunately the Face wasn't in the game so we couldn't proceed with this plan.

Instead the team took another job offer from Ork Underground organizers because having four jobs in one week is clearly not enough. Now they have a job to prevent a Humanis protest from happening on Sunday AND make it look like it failed because of Humanis incompetence rather than Metahuman meddling AND most definitely it cannot be turned into "Evil metas attacked peaceful Humanis protest" story. But that's on Sunday, before that we still have the Nosferatu gig and Friday Night Rumble ...Which turns out to target Humanis as well. (We did ask if this fight would make the Ork Underground upset but luckily they were cool with it.)

I am going to assume that half the team will be hospitalized after the Friday night fight and the Sunday job will be done by the Decker all by himself by changing their schedules or something...

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #293 on: February 05, 2017, 03:57:38 pm »
You would think that but Hero Points make all things possible.  I'll post the video once Brett's done uploading it so you can see what happens afterwards.

Ironbite-it's....funny.

Pssssst.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrjDBwP2SUI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrjDBwP2SUI</a>

Ironbite-my proudest moment.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #294 on: February 09, 2017, 04:29:47 am »
The Humanis has 3 main speakers for their event. Digging some dirt got us the info that one of them is a child molester, one a technomancer and the third one might have been a killer but I forget.

The first one was easy to handle, Decker got his info and comm number. Hacked his comm to a) discover that he had scheduled a "candytime" for thursday night (in-game we spent the thursday day in the last session) and b) plant fake CP on his comm. 8 hits on the forgery test made a rather convincing picture of the guy and his daughter. Yes, this is horrible. But our point was that fake evidence that gets an investigation started will at least make a scandal that hinders the Humanis event and rather than trying to dig for real evidence we could let the KE handle that. ...Besides, the forgery is so good that the cops got a warrant with that and unless they take bribes they will have a good case after few minutes of detective work. (Contacting the media with a tip about a huge scoop will also ensure that the KE want to take this case seriously.)

The technomancer outsmarted our team in a quick game of wits and will be a problem for a later day.

Next session will be a change of pace as it will probably have the big fight...

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #295 on: February 17, 2017, 02:22:02 pm »
This time the team Face was playing and therefore we got more diplomatic things done.

a) Made certain through her KE contact that the arrest of the Humanis big-name was in the media. Surprisingly, he wasn't arrested while molesting a kid as the team and KE had assumed from the "coded" note on his calendar. Instead he was seeing an Ork Domina... Well, he still got arrested because of the forged photo our Decker got onto his Comms, this is most certainly even worse PR loss for Humanis and certain to cause an uproar among them and finally: We were worried that Humanis would hire a really good lawyer for him, no fear of that now.

b) The Face tried to seduce another Humanis big-wig (who is wanted for murder in a different UCAS state) and she was nearly killed by the team Street Sammy after she tried out a few racist jokes while putting on her disguise. Note that she is an elf but has taken the "human looking" quality. After GM mentioned the possible conflict rising from her comments and the player agreed that she had in fact let everyone on the team believe that she is a human she chose to "come out" officially. (Well, the shaman had known the truth thanks to his incredible assessing test but had chosen not to reveal her secret as it was not his business.) The actual seduction plan was made more difficult by the minor detail that the guy was gay. She did charm him and his friends and was regaled with many tales of heroism (they once beat up a lone dwarf and shaved him, considering this a major triumph for their cause) and invited to a later meeting in the Humanis HQ.

c) The GM had lied about the gang fight targeting Humanis and instead it was just another gang and a turf war. Face wanted to handle the talking so that she could avoid all this unnecessary bloodshed by making the other gang give up their turf willingly. She managed to make the friendly gang agree that she gets one chance to try diplomacy before the fighting starts. Instead once the two gangs met (friendly gang and the team driving up to the other's clubhouse with the other gang boss out in the open for the negotiations and the others hiding inside the armoured barrack armed to the teeth.) The negotiations hadn't even started when some NPC failed their composure roll and started shooting. The Shaman was the first to act on the friendly side and yelled a warning while taking out the moron who tried to shoot him. Face got taken as a hostage (with 0 dicepool to wrestling she was no match for the cybered up Ork) and most of the team was dodging fire while shooting back (apart from the street samurai who merely laughed at the bullets bouncing off from his SWAT-armour.) The friendly gang proceeded to do (I hope I got the right term) "fuck all" with their leader failing every check so badly that he just stood there like a troll shaped rock and took a few bullets as he couldn't even dodge. Decker's van was another prime target due to his minigun being visible and it took quite a beating, in response he had "Ernie" the minigun with a built in persona-soft open up on the gang house and suppressing one of the floors with his fire. Meanwhile the shaman (once again) got tired of rolling away from bullets and seeing the Face in mortal danger (by this time the Ork had pulled out a grenade and popped the pin threatening to kill himself and her unless everyone backs off) proceeded to blast the second floor of the clubhouse with a Force 12 ball lightning. Gunslinger adept made some time between rolling away from automatic fire to drop random shooters. And finally the Face... She couldn't exactly fight in any way but decided to do her thing and intimidate the gang boss into giving up. With her best mad grin, few comments about what the Kamikazed-up-Dwarf would do to the Ork (but sadly no "I double dog dare you") was able to make him order the entire gang to surrender unconditionally.

That's one gang war taken care of with absolutely no help from the friendly gang (+1 street cred) though they did offer to fix the van and now owe a few favours.

Next time the team will continue trying to dig up dirt on the Humanis and hopefully get one of their leaders arrested by the KE. Unfortunately they don't have much Edge left at this point and the next session continues just few hours of game-time later.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #296 on: February 21, 2017, 09:43:40 pm »
My group is planning a Discworld GURPS campaign. None of us has any experience about GURPS system and about half of the players are new to Discworld, too, so we'll see how the game goes. We are planning to have a two-GM campaign with me and the friend who came up with the idea of this game both GM'ing our own groups with parallel storylines. We'll also be players in each other's groups.

Of course, we'll plan the campaign together based on his ideas so we'll need to keep our OC and IC knowledge carefully separated. While everyone has created their characters and we have discussed about the basic concept behind the campaign we haven't yet had the chance to have an indepth discussion about how we'll share the workload and storyline. We'll have a brainstorming session probably some time next week and things should be more clear after that.

The basic idea is that the radio (magical) technology arrives to the Disc. The other GM is interested in how the music industry reacts with troll mafia and other factions scrambling to take advantage of the new situation. Of course, Vetinari will try to control the new technology that might or might not bring the creatures from the Dungeon Dimensions close to bursting to the Disc. With technology such as this he plans to have Moist von Lipwig involved somehow, too, and I might also throw William de Worde in to the soup.

I guess I'm going to plan things around the talk radio. I'm toying around an idea of a big bad based on Rush Limbaugh as an unscrupulous bigot who uses the new technology to get rich and causes political instability while doing so. My own character is an Igor; the Igor template from the rule book is too powerful for the campaign so I've built my own interpretation of the character type.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #297 on: February 25, 2017, 03:17:22 am »
Alrighty then, the player of Face missed the session due to being sick and as the plan really relied on that character we had to improvise.

...So, the shaman is meditating to recover from the Drain of the spell he used in the battle. Sleeping "meditating" like a baby at the wheel of his car (Which the team currently uses as transport. Well, apart from the Dwarf street sam who uses his troll sized motorcycle.) and is woken up by a Docwagon guard hitting the window with a club and asking for an ID. The Decker helpfully provides the code needed to get into the building while the Shaman furiously interrogates the team to find out what the hell did they do this time.

Turns out that one of the Fixers called the Decker with an urgent request for a team, knowing that the shaman is a trained medic and a healer. They were told to get to location X, no need for special gear "just tell me what size of clothing you guys wear." A Docwagon Johnson is waiting for the team with a gear rack that has security armour with DW logos and a selection of weaponry and medical equipment. DW is down an HTR team or two and is hiring Runner teams for the evening to fill that hole.

The team basically gets armour that is better than anything they have currently, the weapons are not that good though. Shaman has to get a regular Ares Predator V instead of the tacticool one he had and the Sammy has to use a Katana instead of a combat axe.

The team gets into a T-bird and after a while of chatting to keep the boredom away they get their first call to save a Gold-level patient. The Rigger drops the team from air just above a carcrash scene where a team of Shadowrunners is trying to kidnap the VIP (four visible, two are dragging the VIP towards the team van with two more armed and waiting in the van.) The (NPC) Runners open fire at the T-bird (Rigger thinks it is adorable that they think a meager assault rifle would do more than scratch the paint) and the Sam, Gunslinger-Adept and Shaman jump out as the T-bird pulls back to provide cover if necessary. The Decker spends the entire combat trying to find something to hack but fails to do so before the fight is over. The Sam hits the ground like a superhero and cracks the pavement, the Adept floats to the ground like a feather, the Shaman bounces off of a car and gets up claiming that he is "ok." ...Guess who didn't have Free Fall or Gymnastics skill?

Adept nearly kills two of the Runners (after switching to live ammo despite orders from Shaman-team-leader to stick to gel unless it is absolutely necessary to use lethal force) with one burst, Shaman drops on Runner with gel rounds, Sam chops another into 4 pieces with his Katana and saves the VIP. The Rigger (after being told to provide suppressive fire at two remaining Runners who are firing at the team) hoses the van, turning two runners into minced meat and making the van drive off. The VIP is rescued, still alive and Shaman wastes company material by stabilizing a civilian who had been in the same car with the VIP (but who hasn't got a DW contract.)

The next mission is a call to a scene where one HTR team has already gone silent... 50 KE troopers are surrounding a building from which people are firing back at them. The Decker again goes looking for something to hack and goes NOPE the fuck out of Matrix after finding a Demi-GOD lurking in the area. The T-bird hovers over the building as rest of the team once again jump out and throw one Basic customer into the vehicle (who had been unconscious on the roof) before heading inside to look for a Gold-customer and a Super-Platinum-customer. They have to remove some monowire obstacles on the way but just as they are getting into the room with two VIPs they notice an Ares Firewatch team also heading upwards the same location... The team wins the running contest and the T-bird drops down to hover near the windows, the Shaman recruits a guy (runner?) who was trying to bandage the VIPs and manages to throw the customers into the T-bird with Decker strapping them to savior pods while the Sam and Adept block the door with furniture and junk to delay the Firewatch.

...It really isn't much of a delay as they simply blow the door open, killing the unknown helper but the team members all manage to jump into the T-bird and escape. Although... The Sam being the last one out has to burn a point of Edge not to get caught by a webgun.

This was the last job for the day because although DW appreciated the team's efforts the customers, the "HTR-team" and the T-bird are now way too hot and need to lay low for a while.

Meanwhile elsewhere the Face has infiltrated a Humanis meeting and may already be dead for all we know but that's something that the player and the GM will handle at a later time.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #298 on: February 28, 2017, 12:32:00 am »
Because I don't have any time I decided to join a Coriolis campaign.

Think Firefly but Arabian.

Like really, the game has more than a few similarities to the Firefly in the feel of it but has a slightly highger tech level, instead of Chinese and American* influence the space travellers are descendants of middle eastern people who's culture greatly affects the region and there are some aliens and psychic/supernatural stuff as well.

Looks like I'll be making an engineer. Possibly a hyena-man engineer but another player has threatened to murder my character's immediately until I make a proper pureblood human. (He is playing a genetically engineered human, the type of which are considered impure and horribly demonized so of course he is also racist towards people who are worse off than him.)

*I note that most people were focused on how the people in Firefly speak a few words of Chinese and were all about how there is a HUGE Chinese influence but from my POV it was 60% American 40% Chinese.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:33:56 am by Askold »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #299 on: March 03, 2017, 06:06:32 am »
The Humanis sabotage mission ended in a rather surprising way. The Face managed to do well in their meeting and after they found out that one of their leaders had been arrested she agreed to help them get drinks for the protest...

After several false starts as everyone suggested lacing the drinks with something like K10 or Kamikaze the team finally went with lacing some of the drinks (the ones that would be served first) with a party drug that makes people really horny. This resulted in an orgy in the streets that the Knight Errant quickly put down the same way they solve any other disturbances. By firing lots and lots of Gel ammo and rounding up everyone. As a bonus they did proper ID checks and more than one fake SIN got burned which put at least one other Humanis leader into jail.

Our GM was very impressed at how we solved this job without firing a single shot and how each and every time when one of the players got frustrated and suggested a violent solution some other player (always a different one) talked them out of that and suggested something else.

No money for this job but 8 Karma for everyone and a new Contact in the Ork Undergound.

Meanwhile the Coriolis campaign is starting up nicely with all the characters being finished and everyone involved debating what the hell the rules mean... It's a game made by four Swedish guys and only one of them is employed in the company, the others do it as a hobby. As a result the rulebooks have more than a few flaws and need to be rewritten. Unfortunately they also have the problem that the shipping company that sent the rulebooks fucked up and did not understand that books that are sent to places like AUSTRALIA need a bit more packacking than the ones being shipped within Sweden and everyone is now too busy to solve that mess to worry about making an errata. (Love the setting, love the basic rules mechanics but the book is a mess and needs to be heavily edited.)