Author Topic: 2014 American Midterm Election Thread  (Read 28387 times)

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
Re: 2014 American Midterm Election Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 04:56:39 pm »
How many times has Spuki rage quit now. I have at least 3. Back in 3 weeks, if not sooner.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 05:09:16 pm »

Welp, time for a cider.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2014, 05:15:09 pm »
Spukikitty in a nutshell. When her beliefs and reality disagree, in her mind it's reality that's not only wrong, but has to be e-yelled at until it realises this is "the Age of Aquarias" or whatever other new age woo she's moronic enough to take seriously. Then of course she comes back a few weeks later and the whole cycle begins anew.

I have to say, there are few things more annoying than a new age fundie.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2014, 05:57:25 pm »
Spukikitty in a nutshell. When her beliefs and reality disagree, in her mind it's reality that's not only wrong, but has to be e-yelled at until it realises this is "the Age of Aquarias" or whatever other new age woo she's moronic enough to take seriously. Then of course she comes back a few weeks later and the whole cycle begins anew.

I'm sorry, did you just call her a fundie?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2014, 06:06:39 pm »
...Sorry, I actually agree with Art on that.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2014, 06:07:48 pm »
...Sorry, I actually agree with Art on that.

Well, why exactly do you think so?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2014, 06:13:46 pm »
Hmm, let me check.

As it turns out, I did in fact call her a fundie. The moar you know.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2014, 06:40:48 pm »
Hmm, let me check.

Well then.  What reason do you have to do so?

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2014, 07:02:48 pm »
I'm fairly confident that Warner will win the seat here in Virginia, given his popularity as governor. He's one of the few politicians you feel like you can genuinely trust.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2014, 07:08:01 pm »
Ed Glipsie was the lawyer for Enron.  I'm pretty sure he's gonna go down pretty hard because of that.

Barbra Comstock on the other hand is Frank Wolf's girl and I took great pleasure in voting for Faust.

Ironbite-hope he gets in.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2014, 07:36:15 pm »
I fully expect the Republicans to win Kansas. Brownback is (somehow) popular and the Tea Party practically runs the place.
Who needs a signature?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2014, 07:57:44 pm »
Let's see. She believes in objectively false bullshit and when said objectively false bullshit fails to reflect reality, she just clings to it even harder. That alone qualifies her as a fundie. But not only that, she actually gets angry at people and the world in general for failing to see the light and join the One True Faith. Just look at how Ironchew debunked her claim with an actual study from a real university, and she responds by citing some random fuckwit's blog that's not even relevant to what Ironchew said, labels him a troll then goes on to post a ALL CAPS rant in obnoxiously big font about how it's the "Age of Aquarius" or "Dwamaparga Yugara" or whatever bollocks and then ragequits because we all had the audacity to not toe the manic progressive party line. She may have different religion and politics, but she thinks and behaves exactly like the loons over on Rapture Ready.

Besides, do you not recall how she actually tried to murder conservatives with magic spells? That just says it all.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:05:55 pm by Art Vandelay »

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2014, 07:59:20 pm »
Hmm, let me check.

Oh yeah, she's a fundie.  I consider myself very far left, even by the standard of this board, but I cannot wrap my head around the viciousness with which she attacks conservatives.  I disagree with them as much as anybody.  I consider many, if not most, of their ideas and beliefs to be outright repugnant.  She, on the other hand, portrays the people themselves to be repugnant.  And that's not just the wingnuts like Andrew Schafley and Ken Hamm, it is any person who happens to lean to the right.  That's not okay.  Go look at any one of the ignorant, misguided, sickeningly idealistic threads that she starts, and flip the words conservative and progressive.  Any of those posts would make fstdt in a heartbeat.  The post that she just made approaches savagesusie like levels of insanity, just on the other side.

For fuck's sake, she actually used the phrase, "the Left will rise again."  She unironically paraphrased an insane neoconfederate line that absolutely nobody takes seriously to chide the rest of us for not taking her seriously.

Let's compare her behavior to Rationalwiki's characteristics of fundamentalists

1.  Religious idealism is the basis for personal and communal identity;

If not religious idealism, then certainly political idealism describes her.  Then again, the random Hindu phrases that she threw into that post makes me wonder if it isn't both.

2.  Fundamentalists understand truth to be revealed and unified;

Progressivism isn't a political viewpoint to her, it is TRUTH.

3.  It is intentionally scandalous (outsiders cannot understand it and will always be outsiders);

Go to any of the random, idealistic threads that she starts and pay attention to how she casts conservatives (or "regressives" or "frummers" or "teahadists" or whatever the hell she calls them) as the scary other.  As the enemy, rather than as people with whom we happen to disagree.

4.  Fundamentalists envision themselves as part of a cosmic struggle;

She starts an us vs. them cosmic struggle thread every few weeks.  "We can take back this country!  Americans are progressive!  We just need to do this thing!"

5.  They seize on historical moments and reinterpret them in light of this cosmic struggle;

I would say that claiming that the United States is a progressive country would be a pretty solid example of this, but maybe I'm overreaching there.

6.  They demonize their opposition and are reactionary;

I don't think I could write a better description of her than this sentence.

7.  Fundamentalists are selective in what parts of their tradition and heritage they stress;
8.  They are primarily led by a narrow demographic (e.g. white males);
9.  They envy modernist cultural hegemony and try to overturn the distribution of power;

These three don't really apply to her.

10.  Their logic is so different from normal logic, they cannot be argued with.

In this very thread, when it was suggested that perhaps the millennial generation was not quite as progressive as she was assuming, her response was to freak out and effectively scream that she was right and the other guy was wrong.

RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2014, 08:43:37 pm »
Voted for Wendy Davis and Lettica Van de Putte. Now that the polls are closed I am sure the Texas state is still as red as it has been for the last 20 years and we're confirmed 100% hopeless for anything wonderful. In other words, we've tried and we've failed.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2014, 09:29:52 pm »
Voted for Wendy Davis and Lettica Van de Putte. Now that the polls are closed I am sure the Texas state is still as red as it has been for the last 20 years and we're confirmed 100% hopeless for anything wonderful. In other words, we've tried and we've failed.

You guys must be doing something right if the Texas GOP is scared enough to pass voter suppression laws. They won't be able to hold the demographic shift for much longer...
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.