Author Topic: "World of Warcraft hobby sparks US political row"  (Read 11763 times)

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
Re: "World of Warcraft hobby sparks US political row"
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2012, 12:28:33 pm »
I hate to necro this thread, but wanted to add the conclusion...

She won.

“So I’m a level 68 orc rogue girl. That means I stab things…a lot! Who would have thought that a peace-lovin’, social worker and democrat would enjoy that?!” This was the statement that won World of Warcraft gamer Colleen Lachowicz a seat in Maine’s State Senate.

It just so happens that Colleen is an avid gamer who spends a lot of time playing the incredibly popular online multiplayer video-game World of Warcraft. In this fantasy universe she is known as Santiaga, a level 85 orc rogue assassin, who as the player herself admits, spends a lot of time stabbing things. Little did she know that her gaming antics would actually help her win a seat in the State Senate. Apparently, her Republican Party rivals thought it would be a good idea to set up a website portraying Lachowicz as someone with a “bizarre double life”, and making her look like a violent person by describing her in-game behavior. This uninspired smear campaign actually won Lachowicz international support from the gaming community and eventually helped her won the race for the Senate.

(snip)

Taking forum posts Lachowicz made on various World of Warcraft fan sites, Republicans questioned her maturity and ability to make rational decisions for the people of Senate District 25, as if someone’s actions in a video game can be used to characterize their real life. Luckily, the whole thing backfired and Santiaga gained even more support from fellow gamers, who actually donated money for her campaign. “It just really goes to show that I think those of us who do play games are eager for it not to be stereotyped anymore,” Colleen said about all the help she got from the gaming community.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2012, 01:04:17 pm »
I guess the Alliance stayed home

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2012, 03:20:27 pm »
Taking forum posts Lachowicz made on various World of Warcraft fan sites, Republicans questioned her maturity and ability to make rational decisions for the people of Senate District 25, as if someone’s actions in a video game can be used to characterize their real life. Luckily, the whole thing backfired and Santiaga gained even more support from fellow gamers, who actually donated money for her campaign. “It just really goes to show that I think those of us who do play games are eager for it not to be stereotyped anymore,” Colleen said about all the help she got from the gaming community.

The moment a party makes gaming a negative political issue is the moment they lost the youth vote. In case they have not noticed, people have stopped using maypoles for entertainment purposes.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2012, 10:48:46 am »

The Alliance was a bunch of pussies cowering behind Varian Wrynn.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2012, 12:29:27 pm »

You shut your mouth, (W)Horde scum.

Offline Agni

• Bishop
  • Prōcrāstinātorum Prōcrāstinātricumque Rex
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2012, 02:30:07 pm »
I think this little debacle is proof the ugly truth behind the Republican party; they know their positoons can't be backed up most of the time, so they have to resort to slandering the opposition. Rarely do they criticize the oppositions beliefs: they just slander some completely unrelated thing about them.

They're an entire party of mudslinging idiots.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2012, 02:08:13 pm »

Don't make me come over there, Alliance filth! I've got some shiny new axes that could use a fresh coat of blood!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2012, 02:34:48 pm »

The moment a party makes gaming a negative political issue is the moment they lost the youth vote.

Lol. Yeah, that's what lost Republicans the youth vote.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2012, 03:25:50 pm »

Don't make me come over there, Alliance filth! I've got some shiny new axes that could use a fresh coat of blood!

Threats with axes. Typical Hordling.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2012, 04:39:56 pm »
I've got blasters.  Fie on you both.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2012, 05:05:57 pm »

The Holy Light Says no.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2012, 05:17:48 pm »
*summons Fire Elemental*
*watches Fire Elemental ignore the fight and go and pull a completely different set of mobs*
*sighs and checks if Ankh is off CD*