Author Topic: 3-D printed cast!  (Read 4840 times)

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
3-D printed cast!
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:35:00 pm »
Linked for HUGE image.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/5495cb976b5f39e44433739a3dfd4b19/tumblr_mp5bg7mfRF1qifsg3o1_500.jpg

Cortex: The 3D-Printed Cast

After many centuries of splints and cumbersome plaster casts that have been the itchy and smelly bane of millions of children, adults and the aged alike the world over, we at last bring fracture support into the 21st century.

The Cortex exoskeletal cast provides a highly technical and trauma zone localized support system that is fully ventilated, super light, shower friendly, hygienic, recyclable and stylish.

The cortex cast utilizes the x-ray and 3d scan of a patient with a fracture and generates a 3d model in relation to the point of fracture.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
Re: 3-D printed cast!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 01:14:46 am »
That's pretty awesome. I don't know how new this 3D printing technology is. I've never heard of a 3D printed cast before, and I started hearing a lot about this technology just within the last few months, but a quick google search brought me to the Wikipedia page, which says that the first 3D printed object was done in 1981. Anyone else hear about 3D printing before just recently, or am I living under a rock?

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 01:41:08 am »
My aunt coulda used that a year or so ago.  Those old casts are so cumbersome.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 01:34:43 pm »
SCIENCE!

Also, Valerius, I think you've been living under a bit of a rock.  My roommate not only built his own 3D printer, he then used it to build another printer for someone else.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 02:07:58 pm »
That's pretty awesome. I don't know how new this 3D printing technology is. I've never heard of a 3D printed cast before, and I started hearing a lot about this technology just within the last few months, but a quick google search brought me to the Wikipedia page, which says that the first 3D printed object was done in 1981. Anyone else hear about 3D printing before just recently, or am I living under a rock?
Up until recently it's been very slow, very expensive, and the printed objects pretty fragile. There's been kind of an explosion in the technology in the past couple years.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 07:49:38 pm »
Up until recently it's been very slow, very expensive, and the printed objects pretty fragile. There's been kind of an explosion in the technology in the past couple years.

Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks. But since I first heard about 3D printing, it's been in the news a fair bit up here. The most impressive application I've heard about so far is 3D printing prosthetic limbs for amputees, based off scans of their own limbs before amputation. That's pretty amazing.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 04:24:16 pm »
This is absolutely great!  The partnership between technology and medicine never ceases to astound me.  I grew up at a time when cutting-edge anesthesia was "Bite this stick."
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 11:22:38 pm »

Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks. But since I first heard about 3D printing, it's been in the news a fair bit up here. The most impressive application I've heard about so far is 3D printing prosthetic limbs for amputees, based off scans of their own limbs before amputation. That's pretty amazing.
Holy shit. How functional are they, though?
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 12:53:50 am »

Functional enough to let people live normal (or nearly-normal) lives, I'm pretty sure. I like to listen to CBC in the car, and about a month and a half ago, they did a program on how 3D printing was being used in medicine. They interviewed this one guy who lost his leg from below the knee and got a 3D printed prosthetic. He said that they could make it look so realistic that unless you saw the point of attachment, most people would mistake it for the real thing. He also said that he could do most (or maybe all, I can't remember for sure) of the activities he used to do before he lost his leg.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 01:13:42 am »

Functional enough to let people live normal (or nearly-normal) lives, I'm pretty sure. I like to listen to CBC in the car, and about a month and a half ago, they did a program on how 3D printing was being used in medicine. They interviewed this one guy who lost his leg from below the knee and got a 3D printed prosthetic. He said that they could make it look so realistic that unless you saw the point of attachment, most people would mistake it for the real thing. He also said that he could do most (or maybe all, I can't remember for sure) of the activities he used to do before he lost his leg.
Damn. I wonder how well the hands work.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 01:22:38 am »

Speaking of hands... XD

I'm guessing not very well. After all, a hand is MUCH more complicated than a leg and foot. Think of all the complex, intricate movements your fingers make to hold a pen and write, or type something on a keyboard. Your foot basically moves up and down on the end of your leg. Comparatively, it's a lot more simple.

What really interests me for hands, though, is that they actually have something called hand transplants. I was watching CBC the other day, and they were talking about hand transplants. They showed this woman who lost both her hands and had transplants grafted on. At first, her fingers were all gnarled and she couldn't move them much, but they gradually loosened up, and what's more, she actually started feeling sensations in her new hands. That's something you can't get back from 3D-printed prosthetics, as impressive as the new technological application is.

EDIT: http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/04/19/hand-transplant.html
It's not the program I watched, but still an amazing case.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:25:59 am by Valerius »

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 01:58:22 am »

Speaking of hands... XD

I'm guessing not very well. After all, a hand is MUCH more complicated than a leg and foot. Think of all the complex, intricate movements your fingers make to hold a pen and write, or type something on a keyboard. Your foot basically moves up and down on the end of your leg. Comparatively, it's a lot more simple.

What really interests me for hands, though, is that they actually have something called hand transplants. I was watching CBC the other day, and they were talking about hand transplants. They showed this woman who lost both her hands and had transplants grafted on. At first, her fingers were all gnarled and she couldn't move them much, but they gradually loosened up, and what's more, she actually started feeling sensations in her new hands. That's something you can't get back from 3D-printed prosthetics, as impressive as the new technological application is.

EDIT: http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/04/19/hand-transplant.html
It's not the program I watched, but still an amazing case.
Damn. And this is why I feel that everything that can be donated should legally be required to be donated.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 02:03:09 am »
Well, maybe once you no longer have need of them XD

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 02:04:06 am »
Well, maybe once you no longer have need of them XD
I meant from the dead -_-

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 02:06:45 am »
Yeah, I know

[/crappy attempt at humour]