Author Topic: Santorum: Let States Ban Birth Control  (Read 7691 times)

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
Santorum: Let States Ban Birth Control
« on: January 04, 2012, 12:53:12 pm »
One issue was Santorum’s opposition to the Supreme Court’s 1965 ruling that invalidated a Connecticut law banning contraception. Santorum said he still feels that a state should be able to make such laws.
“The state has a right to do that, I have never questioned that the state has a right to do that. It is not a constitutional right, the state has the right to pass whatever statues they have.  That is the thing I have said about the activism of the Supreme Court, they are creating rights, and they should be left up to the people to decide,” he said.
“You shouldn’t create constitutional rights when states do dumb things,” Santorum said. “Let the people decide if the states are doing dumb things get rid of the legislature and replace them as opposed to creating constitutional laws that have consequences that were before them.”

Why would I not be surprised if 60s!Santorum would be against the 13th and 14th Amendments, Brown vs. Board of Education, and the Civil Rights Act? Other than his previously expressed racism, that is.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/01/santorum-explains-06-loss-still-supports-state-right-to-outlaw-contraception/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Miles11

Re: Santorum: Let States Ban Birth Control
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 01:09:02 pm »
He does realize that states with no birth control and sex education have higher teen pregnancy rates, right?...Right?!

Why is it that none of these people realize that this is genuinely harmful. They repress these teenagers sexually which ends up just making them hornier due to that 'forbidden fruit' element, and then when they have no education on birth control or contraceptives, it can lead to horrible, horrible things.

Things like this scare me.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:02:41 pm »
Santorum is a Tenther.

"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:13:50 pm »
I get so sick of states' rights bullshit. It potentially gives the most horrible states the right to treat minorities subhuman.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 02:31:25 pm »
Who on Earth wants the Federal Government telling them how to live?

Who on Earth wants a State telling them how to live?  Honestly, I don't fucking get this argument.  Why, why why is being ruled by a state government so much better than being ruled by a federal government?  You're still being ruled over.  The state is not an individual human.  It's a form of government.  You know, government?  The thing you're bitching about?  "Well, it's about the state's right to govern themselves, and what the majority of what their people want."  States can govern themselves, as long as as they don't implement laws discriminating against people or infringing on peoples' rights. 

And then there's the argument of "Well, since the States rule, if someone doesn't like it, they can move to another state."  Yeah, one problem.  Traveling, and especially moving, can be expensive, not to mention disruptive, especially right now.  What if someone is too poor to just pick up and move out of a state that works against them?  Worse yet, and an issue that some people have concerning "state's rights," is when states take cues from eachother and start passing similar laws one by one (anti-abortion bills, for example).  If every state, or a cluster of nearby states, pass the same laws, then people can't just "go to another state."  There's no way a majority of women are going to be able to travel across the country just to get fucking contraception, nor should they.

Going on that, why is it that these people think federal government = corruption and state government = wholesome?  State politicians most likely aren't looking out for you.  They're politicians.  They have the same capacity for corruption as any federal politician.  What, just because it's smaller, state = wise and federal = oppression?  In fact, here's another issue:  Why is it always "state's rights" that's the concern?  What about people's rights?  Oh, I forgot.  These people believe in mob rule, which is why they love the idea of states having all the power. 

Which brings me to my last issue:  I strongly believe that when these people cry about smaller government have absolutely no interest in personal freedom.  They only care about the scope of power their respective states have.  "How dare the feds tell people how to live?  The state should be the one to tell people how to live!  So no birth control, no abortions, no healthcare, and no queers or queer behavior.  Hurray for smaller federal government intruding on peoples' personal lives!"  They want smaller government, not so people have more freedom, but so they can have the pseudo-theocracy that they desire.  I'm pretty sure I posted about this before, because I'm getting deja vu.

Also, for the people who use the same argument except in regards to Federal Government and corporations, my response is pretty much the same, except with economic issues instead of social issues.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:37:13 pm by Iosa the Invincible »

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 02:36:09 pm »
States can govern themselves, as long as as they don't implement laws discriminating against people or infringing on peoples' rights. 

Pretty much exactly this.

Offline Smilodon

• Warrior of Perim
  • Bishop
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 02:45:07 pm »
Doesn't he realize that people might do out of clinic abortions instead? Or is he too fundie to admit that?

shykid

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 03:08:45 pm »
It absolutely boggles my mind how the massive irony is lost on some people when the GOP claims to hate "big government" while wanting the government to ban birth control, outlaw abortion, obstruct LGBT equality, make Christianity as the state religion, execute people, etc.

Offline Oriet

• Homo sapiens scientia
  • Bishop
  • Disabled Vet MtF Polyamorous Atheist Auspie
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 04:21:34 pm »
Oh, another way he's showing that his worth is far below his namesake's.
The Rules, get to know them.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 04:27:44 pm »
Sometimes it seems that politicians have never even cracked a history book. Prohibition proved definitively that making something illegal does not make go away. Alcohol consumption in the USA did not decrease one iota under Prohibition. In some areas consumption went up. Not to mention the criminalization of alcohol directly leading to the establishment of organized crime. If making something illegal made it go away, we wouldn't be wasting billions of dollars a year fighting an essentially useless "war on drugs," would we?
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 04:39:10 pm »
Yes - ban contraceptives. That way there will be a greater demand for the abortions that fundies/Republicans absolutely love and want every woman to have safe and affordable... access... too...

Oh wait, guys. I don't think he thought this through very much.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 04:42:13 pm »
This is silly. What they need to do is criminalize pregnancy. That'll fix the problem!
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 05:19:14 pm »
No no no.  They need to criminalize conception.

Ironbite-that's how you nip the problem in the bud

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 05:44:13 pm »
That goes against the Constitution, individual rights, and the free market, all in one strike.

No libertarian should vote for this guy.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 06:27:18 pm »
Yeah, let's have smaller government and more freedom to take away the rights of other citizens.  What a coincidence that I started getting migrains about the same time as the Republican debates.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"