Author Topic: Missouri's goin' for it!  (Read 7378 times)

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
Re: Missouri's goin' for it!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 10:30:39 pm »
Gah!  It's like my state is in some weird race with  texas and Oklahoma to be the most ass backwards.
We had a bill to make Christianity the state religion.
We were among the first to ban gay marriage in our constitution
We have people who want to repeal child labor laws.

and now this bull shit.

And yeah, having seen many of my fellow Missourians, they would happily accept creationism simply because their pastor told them it's in the bible (As I highly doubt many of them have ever bothered to read the book)

(though that's entirely fair.  When I did live in the country, many were very Pagan friendly so they aren't all bad.  But there are enough assholes to broad brush the rest of us with.)
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 10:35:33 pm »
I posit the theory that technology is actually magic.

I support this. As far as I know, a wizard powers my computer.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 11:01:53 pm »
Not shocked by this, it's Missouri, it's the state that has produced the Blunts, and Ashcoft. I also blame the state for turning my aunt into a teabagger. And there are many parts of the state that are like Fundieville USA.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 11:48:17 pm »
I posit the theory that technology is actually magic.

I support this. As far as I know, a wizard powers my computer.

Only if you run Linux.  If you're running Windows, it's run by bound elementals.  Elves if you've got a Mac.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 12:31:30 am »
Seriously, guys? The Scopes Trial was almost a hundred years ago. You're pulling this shit again? The Theory of Evolution has been a proven fact for almost 150 years, not to mention that it is the fundamental basis from which the entire field of modern biology is derived. I would tell you to join the rest of us in the 21st century, but apparently you haven't even entered the 20th yet.

You keep saying "all viewpoints deserve equal consideration" even though we have already considered them many times over and subsequently determined them to be nothing more than the inane ramblings of one specific group of bronze-age goat herders wandering around in the middle of a desert. But even if we hadn't already considered them, A high school science classroom is not the place to do so.

What the hell is there to teach, anyway?

"Welcome to 7th grade biology, everyone! Come get your free Ritalin!
"Mr. Teacher, how did all of the various forms of life appear on earth?"
"Well, Billy Joe, God did it. Okay kids, now write that down 200 times while I play solitaire and jerk off to leaked nudes of Scarlett Johansson under my desk."

Of course, By "God" you always mean the Christian god, since you're the very same people would flip their shit at the prospect of someone teaching, say, the Islamic or Hindu creation myths in schools.

That's not even getting into intellectual and scientific validity of the Biblical creation myth itself. I would say that the entire thing sounds like a product of the vivid imagination of one particularly bored 3rd grader, but that would be a grave insult to bored 3rd graders, so I won't. Safe to say, teaching creationism in a science class is like teaching about the stork in sex ed.

That's not to say the you have even the slightest chance of actually succeeding. This issue has previously been brought up in a federal court in 17 separate instances, and you have lost miserably in every single one of them.

Epperson v. Arkansas (1968)
Lemon v. Kurtzman (1971)
Wright v. Houston I. S. D. (1972)
Willoughby v. Stever (1973)
Daniel v. Waters (1975)
Crowley v. Smithsonian Institution (1980)
Segraves v. State of California (1981)
McLean v. Arkansas Board of Education (1981)
Edwards v. Aguillard - 1987
Webster v. New Lenox School District (1990)
Bishop v. Aronov (1991)
Peloza v. Capistrano School District (1994)
Freiler v. Tangipahoa Parish Board of Education (1997)
Rodney LeVake v. Independent School District 656, et al. (2000)
Pfeifer v City of West Allis (2000)
Selman v. Cobb County School District (2002)
Dover v. Kitzmiller (2005)

Now you're trying to make it 18? Do you even know what "prior legal precedent" means?

Hint: It means that your current efforts are futile. If you do not have a more substantial case this time (And I highly doubt that you do) they are just going to automatically defer to the final ruling put forth in all of those other cases I just listed. They're not going to suddenly change their minds just because you bring it up again.

How many more times do we have to legally bitch-slap you with the Constitution before you finally get it?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:34:35 am by VirtualStranger »

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 02:42:49 am »
I always felt that this comic from Saturday morning breakfast cereal summarizes my feelings on this issue best.
Of course, I also eagerly await the judgement when this gets its ass handed to it in court. Its always fun listening to a judge verbally abuse the intelligent design proponents.

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 05:52:35 am »
How do you teach creationism?  "Goddidit" is one word, right?  Where do you go from there?

Given how all the ID vs Science go, it'll be five seconds for Goddidit and the rest of the time bashing science ad lying about it

Aliens built the pyramids.

*sighs* Unfortunately certain channels like the History channel present this stuff like it was fact...Heck, I play games with my friends when they're here. "5 bucks we shoot over to the H channel and they're talking about aliens"

And there are many parts of the state that are like Fundieville USA.

If I remember right, the opening credits to Moral Orel zoom in on a part of Missouri renamed "Statesota" and the town Moralton
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 06:03:23 am by DasFuchs »
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 07:12:54 am »

And there are many parts of the state that are like Fundieville USA.

If I remember right, the opening credits to Moral Orel zoom in on a part of Missouri renamed "Statesota" and the town Moralton

Your memory is accurate. They had one show with the following (paraphrased) lines:

"Hey Orel, what did you get for number 5 on the biology test?"

"Jesus."

Deities help us if that's what it comes to here in the states.
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 11:56:12 am »
I always felt that this comic from Saturday morning breakfast cereal summarizes my feelings on this issue best.
Of course, I also eagerly await the judgement when this gets its ass handed to it in court. Its always fun listening to a judge verbally abuse the intelligent design proponents.
You're right, I do enjoy that.

As an aside, I think the technical term for them is "IDiots."

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 05:50:03 pm »
Or, depending on context, "cdesign proponentsists".
Σא

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 05:51:43 pm »
You're right, I do enjoy that.

The same way I enjoy watching boa constrictors crush rabbits to death and devour them.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 06:14:45 pm »
By the way, this particular bill doesn't just include public schools. This one includes colleges, too.

http://midwestdemocracyproject.org/blogs/entries/missouri-bill-would-mandate-teaching-intelligent-design/