Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 386951 times)

Offline Id82

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #2865 on: February 14, 2019, 05:02:49 pm »
Unless McConnell thinks Trump is bluffing and he was saying he was going to declare a national emergency to get the Senate to vote against the bill, I've been reading that McConnell isn't to happy with Trump over this past month and a half so he might be sticking it to him and putting the blame for any national emergency on Trump since I hear a sizeable amount of Republican Senators are opposed to a national emergency for the very reasons you stated.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2866 on: February 14, 2019, 05:11:59 pm »
Oh Turtle doesn't want to own any part of this mess, which is why he didn't do shit during the Shutdown even though he could've ended it on the 3rd when the new Congress convened.  Instead he's playing politics and trying to get away from the stench of failure that is the Trump Administration so in 2020 when the Democrats get the White House he can still hold on to a slim majority in the Senate until 2022 when the Democrats get that chamber.

Ironbite-too bad he doesn't understand that Trump's a master of misdirecting blame.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2867 on: February 14, 2019, 06:29:03 pm »
Still: Fuck you, Harry Reid. He should have killed the appointments filibuster as soon as Scott Brown won in Massachusetts and he and Obama should have started filling all those vacancies. Either that or don't do it at all and make the Republicans own it completely.

Meanwhile...

Remember when Congress tried to assert its authority under the War Powers Act to get the US out of its involvement in the Saudi Arabia-led genocide in Yemen?

http://forums.fstdt.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=7463.msg322935#msg322935

Well in the last Congress, a resolution to that effect sponsored by Sen. Sanders passed the Senate, with the support of every member of the Democratic caucus along with Sens. Paul, Lee, Moran and Young, at the least, joining on every amendment. Sanders has introduced the same resolution in this Congress (S.J. Res. 7), and if it comes to a vote, given that the four Republicans who joined uniformly are all still in Congress, assuming the entire Democratic caucus holds, it can pass again.

Of course, when the same matter came up in the House, championed by Rep. Khanna (D-CA), that body voted to block consideration of it despite support from 18 Republicans, thanks to support for the block from five Democrats.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2019/roll083.xml

Rep. Khanna introduced the same resolution in this Congress... and it passed.

This time, every Democratic Representative voted for the resolution, including the five who had opposed it previously. Additionally, eighteen Republicans again joined to support it: Reps. Biggs (co-sponsor), Brooks (AL), Buck (co-sponsor), Cloud, Davidson (OH), Gaetz, Gohmert, Griffith, Hollingsworth, Jordan, Massie, Meadows, Mooney (WV), Posey, Roy, Schweikert, Tipton, and Webster (FL). Rep. Amash, who had supported the resolution in the previous Congress, voted "Present". Reps. Allred, Dingell, Quigley and Ryan (all D) along with Rep. Kinzinger (R) did not vote.

(Rep. Jones (R-NC) was also a co-sponsor but passed away on Feb. 10.)

Speculation now abounds that this will lead to Pres. Trump's first veto.

EDIT: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-border-wall-funding-national-emergency-1.5020813

Well, there's the emergency declaration.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 02:22:18 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2868 on: February 15, 2019, 03:57:23 pm »
Yep there it is.  The dumbest decision he's ever made since being elected.

Ironbite-dies in the courts though so there's that.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2869 on: February 15, 2019, 04:29:08 pm »
Well his Muslim ban was eventually upheld by the courts. I can see this going the same way.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2870 on: February 15, 2019, 04:45:04 pm »
That's a different racist story though.  This Wall and his declaring a National Emergency when there is one, is another.  Despite what he thinks, the President is not King.  Trying to make one a King, however, and you get your throat cut.  Ergo.

Yah see this?  This is Ann Coulter throwing Trump under the bus for trying to make himself king.  ANN FUCKING COULTER who is the Right Wing's biggest and loudest mouth screaming at Trump as he signs the bill and declares the Emergency.  Know what this does to his polls numbers?  Drops 'em.

Ironbite-cause a huge part of his base listens to her.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2871 on: February 15, 2019, 05:19:29 pm »
Well, let's see what happens and, if he gets away with it, see if the next Democratic President uses the fact that 45,000 people die each year due to a lack of health coverage to implement health insurance reforms by executive fiat, or 40,000 gun deaths for gun control.

Because those are bigger emergencies, arguably.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2872 on: February 15, 2019, 06:14:41 pm »
Ann Coulter actually said that? Now she'll be labeled a RINO.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #2873 on: February 17, 2019, 12:13:22 am »
Trump Qult is arguably the real RINOs because they don't even have a core ideology, all they have is worship of a senile millionaire.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2874 on: February 18, 2019, 04:01:36 am »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-veto-border-wall-1.5023124

Another matter where Trump is ready to issue his first veto: the national emergency declaration.

I wonder if there would be support for a Constitutional amendment to strip the President's veto in matters relating to Congressional reclamation of power previously delegated to the executive.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2875 on: February 18, 2019, 09:57:10 am »
Yeah good luck with that.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2876 on: February 18, 2019, 10:01:26 am »
Republicans will be very vocal about doing that kind of thing if they don't manage to get one of them as the next president. It will one of the first reasons for them to shit on Trump while trying to distance themselves from him.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2877 on: February 18, 2019, 02:57:11 pm »
Republicans will be very vocal about doing that kind of thing if they don't manage to get one of them as the next president. It will one of the first reasons for them to shit on Trump while trying to distance themselves from him.

Well right now some of them are pointing out that a Democratic President could do exactly that.

And here's the thing: I agree with them, as a matter of principle. In a system such as was set up in the US (as much as I think it is grossly flawed) it makes no sense for Congress to need a two-thirds supermajority to reclaim authority originally intended for it.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2878 on: February 18, 2019, 03:46:00 pm »
And yet here we are.  Shackled to the rules because the previous group of people in charge didn't see fit to pull on the leash of the monster they created.

Ironbite-now that they see the writing on the wall they still refuse to do anything

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2879 on: February 18, 2019, 04:23:49 pm »
Does he seriously expect California to just roll over and let him install a border wall on our southern border?

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer