Author Topic: Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 111440 times)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
Re: Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2015, 01:42:08 pm »
Wow, you clearly don't know any Tumblr feminists other than me.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2015, 01:52:54 pm »
Wow, you clearly don't know any Tumblr feminists other than me.

"tumblrina" is the name for the extremist variety of tumblr social justice keyboard warriors, that or "radflake". real feminists used to fight for gender equality. nowadays, the only way to be able to call oneself a "feminist" without radical backlash is to tattoo "misandry" on your forehead. which is wrong, obviously. if you look in the "worst of social justice" thread you'll see what i'm getting at.

oh, and blue is for sarcasm, because as a guy, i'm not about to say stupid shit like that. i may be crazy, but i'm not a hypocrite.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2015, 02:47:08 pm »
Um, in the 2nd example, they're both sexist.

Also not sure what to think about the use of white as the default.
Well those are just stick figures so white is the default. You can make a black and white stick figures and unless you make some stick figures different (like in the upper example) there is no way of knowing if the "regular" ones are supposed to be white or just default that way.

Besides, the point is that people have a double standard where the same message is seen sexist/racist depending on the victim. Yes, both of the examples about sexism were examples of sexism but some people believe that only women can be victims of sexism (check your privilege etc.) Meanwhile in the upper example the same insult, which makes no implications about the other persons race, is seen as racist only when the victim is black. The fact that we have no proof that they are being insulted BECAUSE they are black might not matter to some people.

Double standards.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2015, 06:13:22 pm »

get your shit together, coppers.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2015, 07:49:49 pm »

All left in the dust by total non-suicide firearm homicides and automobile deaths each by nearly an order of magnitude.

I hate to say it, but if you want to prioritize holding the police accountable for killing people, the probability of getting killed by them isn't the best argument to use.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2015, 08:04:38 pm »
Probability?  Uh....

Ironbite-bitch you need to get hooked on phonics.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2015, 09:36:08 pm »
am i the only one who thinks that such a body count is wrong for people whose motto is "serve and protect"?

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2015, 09:38:46 pm »
No.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2015, 10:18:08 pm »
am i the only one who thinks that such a body count is wrong for people whose motto is "serve and protect"?

That would depend on whom they are serving and protecting. The wealthy have always enjoyed the privilege of using police as a tool to their own ends.

It's no big surprise that certain socioeconomic demographics who make the wealthy uncomfortable are the target of more police brutality.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2015, 10:24:40 pm »

All left in the dust by total non-suicide firearm homicides and automobile deaths each by nearly an order of magnitude.

I hate to say it, but if you want to prioritize holding the police accountable for killing people, the probability of getting killed by them isn't the best argument to use.

I don't think it's a probability argument, it's a "something is not working properly" argument. The implication is that police killings are so common that something is fucked up (and therefore we have an opportunity for fixing it and saving ~1000 lives a year).

Or maybe not. I mean, that's the point I would be making if I were sending that message, but I'm not the person who made the pic.
Σא

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2015, 11:50:33 pm »
I read it as pro cop. They kill people almost 10 times better than everything else on that list combined!

ETA: I might not be the best one to interpret things as I just got a fine because the sign did not mean No, Fishing!
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2015, 01:41:50 pm »
Something to improve your faith in humanity a little:

www.reddit.com/r/israelpalestine

A subreddit dedicated to promoting dialogue between Israelis and Palestinians (and their supporters).
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2015, 02:54:25 pm »
Something to improve your faith in humanity a little:

www.reddit.com/r/israelpalestine

A subreddit dedicated to promoting dialogue between Israelis and Palestinians (and their supporters).

I don't think anything substantial will change for the Palestinians until Israeli leaders are held accountable for violating international law.

You can promote dialogue all you want but, as the vastly more powerful and well-funded colonizers, Israel has no incentive to change its ways.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2015, 12:34:10 am »
SJW overreacts to something. Troll uses overreaction as excuse to be awful. SJW uses awfulness to justify overreaction. The circle of life.

From Todd In The Shadows Twitter.  It's a spot on description of the internet. 

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2015, 04:14:12 pm »