Author Topic: TV Shows  (Read 139795 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: TV Shows
« Reply #555 on: November 07, 2015, 09:58:12 pm »
I just watched "Patriot", a new pilot for a potential series on Amazon. I only wish it was on Netflix, because then a lot more of you all could see it. It's a dark and hilarious espionage dramedy. Think, the Office with covert ops. Great writing that assumes the viewer has a brain, great acting, great cinematography, etc.

Hm.  Maybe I should check it out.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #556 on: December 23, 2015, 09:26:00 pm »
I'm resurrecting this thread to cry about Dance with Devils.

(click to show/hide)
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Art Vandelay

« Reply #557 on: February 22, 2016, 07:57:01 pm »
Just thought I'd fuck this thread back to life so I can mention that I've been of a bit of a Top Gear kick, lately. Not so much the regular episodes, but their various road trips are great. Gotta love all of their antics.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #558 on: February 22, 2016, 08:35:51 pm »
I'm currently trying to power through as much of Star trek: TNG as I can before netflix removes it on me

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #559 on: February 22, 2016, 09:03:30 pm »
I've watched...five or so seasons of SG-1 on Hulu in the past few weeks.  Good god, I almost forgot how much fun this show was.  Still can't believe they canned it in favour of Battlestar Galactica 2 Stargate Universe, just because the Galactica reboot was kinda popular at the time.  Annnnnd, now, nobody fucking remembers it except the whole "everyone's a cylon" gimmick, because it was a boring piece of crap with no staying power and nauseating shaky-cam.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #560 on: February 23, 2016, 02:26:49 am »
I've watched...five or so seasons of SG-1 on Hulu in the past few weeks.  Good god, I almost forgot how much fun this show was.  Still can't believe they canned it in favour of Battlestar Galactica 2 Stargate Universe, just because the Galactica reboot was kinda popular at the time.  Annnnnd, now, nobody fucking remembers it except the whole "everyone's a cylon" gimmick, because it was a boring piece of crap with no staying power and nauseating shaky-cam.

I seem to recall that the "everyone is a Cylon" bit was thrown in at the end of a season and the writers didn't actually have a plan beyond that. They just got a random idea and thought it was funny.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #561 on: February 23, 2016, 03:48:00 am »
The "writers didn't have a plan" was wholly evident in that mess of a final episode.

Hey, what would a bunch of war-weary space refugees do after they've just finished being chased all over the galaxy by killer robots and that threat has gone?

Probably not say "fuck medicine, plumbing, potable water and sanitation" because they want to get back to nature!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #562 on: February 23, 2016, 08:57:57 am »
Honestly, I never did watch a lot of the new Galactica.  I'm not kidding when I say the shaky-cam made me nauseous.  That is a cinematic technique that I find absolutely loathsome and it utterly destroys something that might otherwise be perfectly presentable if it didn't look like the camera was being handled by a bonobo with Tourette's.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #563 on: February 23, 2016, 10:27:46 am »
Am I the only person then who rather liked the new BattleStar Galactica?  Apart from the last episode of course.  That was bollocks.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #564 on: February 23, 2016, 03:28:30 pm »
Nah-loved it, the writers just literally lost the plot in thr last season.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #565 on: February 23, 2016, 03:56:30 pm »
Yeah. The first two seasons were great but it became more and more obvious that the writers were desperately trying to juggle more and more plot points without really knowing what to ultimately do with them. Instead of concentrating on bringing the plot points together in a satisfying manner they kept adding more stuff to juggle and the end result was an inevitable disaster.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #566 on: February 23, 2016, 06:38:53 pm »
funnily enough I've been watching the old series 'Cracker' with Robbie Coltrane. Great series, Jimmy McGovern's a fucking genius.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #567 on: February 23, 2016, 06:45:04 pm »
Ha! I can watch all of Cracker on Amazon. Thanks for the idea. I've been binge watching Nurse Jackie because it's been on my watch list for like four years. Nice to have an alternate.

ADDENDUM. Nope. That was a US "remake" of Cracker, and only 10 episodes all told. Fuck regional blocks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:02:41 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #568 on: February 23, 2016, 07:15:34 pm »
No you can't do remake you need Robbie Coltrane.

See if you can get 'Rome' instead, another Jimmy McGovern Bruno Heller  masterpiece.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:18:22 pm by davedan »

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #569 on: February 23, 2016, 07:31:16 pm »
Rome? The HBO series? I watched that on disc from Netflix like twice or three times. Wished to hell it could have gone on longer. Two seasons was just not enough.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.