Author Topic: Republican says "rape can be beautiful"  (Read 6040 times)

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
Re: Republican says "rape can be beautiful"
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 11:53:12 pm »
This guy can join Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin in the Never Elect in a Million Years pile.

...And yet a witch hunter is still electable.

Witch hunter? Did I miss something?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 12:12:17 am »
Allow me to make a pure statement of fact: No, that's not what he said.

"Obviously rape is awful..." says Delegate Brian Kurcaba, R-Monongalia. "What is beautiful is the child is that could come from this."

"Rape is beautiful if it results in a child" is what no politician will say in public, ever. "Rape is awful, but children are beautiful" is more or less the standard party line for pro-lifers.

It's still an absolute asshole thing to say. Claiming that the results of the event are beautiful completely downplays the victim's trauma and acts as a massive "fuck you" to women who choose to abort.

Agreed 100%. It's a horrible thing to say. It's being used as an excuse to defend a bill restricting abortion rights. The person involved is an asshole.

I pointed out his actual words because

a) it was hard for me to believe anyone would be so lacking in self-awareness to actually say "rape can be beautiful", looking up the actual quote cleared things up, and someone else might have the same doubts

b) There's no point in criticising someone for something they didn't say, when what they did say was awful in itself.
Σא

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 02:33:27 am »
This asshole's from my state, and may an army of coal trucks plow through his house. I hope he never gets anywhere near public office after this.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 05:42:25 pm »
He might remain at the state level, where nobody pays attention to what their reps say, but on the national level, he'll bring nothing but embarrassment to the Republican Party. The Religious Right is becoming a liability fast, and the Tea Party just might be a disaster for Republicans by turning them into the Rape Party.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 10:26:10 pm »
He might remain at the state level, where nobody pays attention to what their reps say, but on the national level, he'll bring nothing but embarrassment to the Republican Party. The Religious Right is becoming a liability fast, and the Tea Party just might be a disaster for Republicans by turning them into the Rape Party.

And THAT "can be beautiful"! They can't destroy themselves with their own hubris, enough!

I look at it this way. American Progressivism is winning the CULTURE war in leaps in bounds. The POLITICAL war, however, may take some work. Soon, the folks who vote these guys in AND the corporate robber barons like the Kochs, Murdoch, etc. will pass on (most being older people). Someday, things will change for the better, at least a little bit.

One thing I've noticed with history....often, evil will win most battles but good will win the war...not every time, mind you, but often.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 01:03:38 am »
One thing I've noticed with history....often, evil will win most battles but good will win the war...not every time, mind you, but often.

Alternatively, whoever wins the war decides which side gets called good.
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 02:39:39 am »

Alternatively, whoever wins the war decides which side gets called good.

Winners write history.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 07:29:51 pm »
Yes I do.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 08:01:59 pm »
Well, that came out wrong....sorry.....

Now, back to the goober GOPer, here.......

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 07:17:34 am »
This reminds me of a passage in a novel I've read years ago. It was a parable, telling of a woman who was raped when an army passed through her homeland. She became pregnant and gave birth to a baby boy, who grew up into a strong and beautiful man. It was a point of acknowledging the good with the bad, and I agree that there is such a point to be made, even about rape. It's not the end of the world.

Expressing that point in the context of abortion is... not sensible, to put it mildly.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 07:47:10 am »
Are these guys trying to be unelectable?

Nah, by saying stuff that's this vile to anyone left of Genghis Khan they're basically bragging that they've got things so gerrymandered that elections don't matter!

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 11:42:16 am »
Relax. Todd Akin shot himself in the foot and may have caused more candidates to lose if they were running with "the rape party". I suspect the issue with these guys is that the people targeted by Fox News are starting to run for office. Like it or not, the Tea Party has quite a bit of populist appeal, and many of them aren't politically savvy. Which is why they say this sort of thing, but also why many of them will lose.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 06:59:24 pm »
Relax. Todd Akin shot himself in the foot and may have caused more candidates to lose if they were running with "the rape party". I suspect the issue with these guys is that the people targeted by Fox News are starting to run for office. Like it or not, the Tea Party has quite a bit of populist appeal, and many of them aren't politically savvy. Which is why they say this sort of thing, but also why many of them will lose.

That explains it.