Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1533572 times)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #750 on: July 31, 2013, 03:08:55 pm »

Of all the insane social justice movements, the "health privilege" crowd is the most maddening.
Nah. The people screaming "cultural appropriation" are worse. Especially when they bitch about white women twerking. Mind you, nobody, white or black, should twerk. You look like a twerp when you twerk.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #751 on: July 31, 2013, 03:30:21 pm »
Fuck it, I'm fat and I know I'm not healthy because of it.

That being said not all fat people are unhealthy.  What matters more is exercise and diet, not how much fat you have.  It seems like fatness would follow that but not always, as is in some genetic related conditions.

Also people calling non-fat people fat can go to hell.  Seriously.

Actually the people who bring it up in the first place.  Unlike smoking, I'm not infecting you with my second-hand fatness.  My health is actually none of your business, and I don't need your condescending "concern".  You're only going to make things worse for me by trying to bring it up.

Not to mention 90% of the time it's just hecklers looking for a cheap laugh rather than anyone actually concerned.  And funnily enough, a lot of these hecklers are, themselves, fat.

To me, "Fat Acceptance" doesn't mean "BEING FAT IS A GOOD THING", but rather "Some of us can't help it, others can but need help, and quite frankly, it's none of your business.  Also, stop calling body types that don't actually have much in the way of fat, "Fat", it's erroneous.

Also, eating disorders are a thing.  Food addiction is a thing.  And unlike smoking, food is everywhere, it's actually the center of our culture, right next to pop culture.  You can't escape food commercials, food ads, people eating food.  At least with smoking they actually banned cigarette ads."
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:34:04 pm by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #752 on: July 31, 2013, 05:35:41 pm »
I've seen several people try to justify other people's obesity as being their business because they have to pay for it in taxes.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #753 on: July 31, 2013, 07:55:20 pm »
[7:55:07 PM] Advent Snail: "I hate it when men go shopping for their families because these dudes are like the most considerate people ever."

That's actually followed by a pretty good point, but I think that part is funny.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #754 on: July 31, 2013, 08:56:13 pm »
Nah. The people screaming "cultural appropriation" are worse. Especially when they bitch about white women twerking. Mind you, nobody, white or black, should twerk. You look like a twerp when you twerk.

True. I want to make a post about how democratic nations are appropriating Greek culture or something similar.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #755 on: July 31, 2013, 09:00:54 pm »

True. I want to make a post about how democratic nations are appropriating Greek culture or something similar.

I actually think that anti-appropriation bloggers usually have good points to make - for instance, against white people appropriating a sacred Native American ritual and completely bastardizing it in the process to make money.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #756 on: July 31, 2013, 09:12:17 pm »
The only instance in which I give a shit about appropriation is when it's actively promoting an offensive image of the culture. For instance, "Indian" mascots that act like savages, or blackface.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #757 on: July 31, 2013, 09:15:30 pm »
Exactly what I feel, too. Having a bastardized version of a native American warrior as a "redskin" or "Indian" is insulting. having a genuine and respectful fascination with the culture is not.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #758 on: July 31, 2013, 09:26:03 pm »
Exactly what I feel, too. Having a bastardized version of a native American warrior as a "redskin" or "Indian" is insulting. having a genuine and respectful fascination with the culture is not.

The thing is, even if you just use a certain article of clothing, or jewelry, or tattoo, or whatever the fuck, with no motive besides "it's kinda cool," & no context, people call that racist.

'Course, others have made the argument that this is actually acceptance, & is something to be desired.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
Re: Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #759 on: July 31, 2013, 09:29:25 pm »

Yeah that pretty much sums it up.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #760 on: July 31, 2013, 09:38:23 pm »

I actually think that anti-appropriation bloggers usually have good points to make - for instance, against white people appropriating a sacred Native American ritual and completely bastardizing it in the process to make money.

True. But then you get the crazies who basically object to anyone partaking in any cultural activity that didn't originate with their culture.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #761 on: July 31, 2013, 09:42:52 pm »
I'll be honest, the anti-appropriation crowd would probably hate me. I have dream catchers, I believe in having an animal totem (Wolf), and I'm European. I carry the same respect for animals and nature that Native Americans do.

Am I being offensive? If you're thin-skinned. If you're intelligent you'll recognize I have a legitimate interest in the culture.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #762 on: July 31, 2013, 10:10:43 pm »
appropriating a sacred Native American ritual and completely bastardizing it in the process to make money.

Yep. And on top of perpetuating stereotypes and using religion as a means to cash in, many of these plastic shaman have seriously injured or killed people while attempting to perform cheap knockoffs of Native rituals (sweat lodges, vision quests, etc.)

Also, I can completely understand why Natives are hurt and offended when people turn sacred regalia (warbonnets, etc.) into a fashion trend (which I wouldn't call racist so much as tacky and kind of insensitive) or dress up as caricatures of them for Halloween (which *is* racist).

That being said, purchasing things like dream catchers and moccasins isn't offensive.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:15:55 pm by Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Mira

• Literally Worse Than Hitler
  • Pope
  • Cisphobic reverse racist
    • Houserule Gaming
« Reply #763 on: July 31, 2013, 10:18:15 pm »
Eating maize is cultural appropriation.
I’ve grown overfed, unconcerned and comfortably numb
Kept busy indulging in the pleasures of the wealthy
Oh, someone make me afraid of what I’ve become!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #764 on: July 31, 2013, 10:22:02 pm »
The only way you can avoid cultural appropriation is to look back at the very ass end of your heritage, back to prehistoric times, and exclusively live your life as a nomadic hunter-gatherer.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.