Author Topic: The work of a mentally retarded person is worth $2 an hour.  (Read 2156 times)

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
The work of a mentally retarded person is worth $2 an hour.
« on: January 29, 2014, 03:09:23 pm »
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/29/ceo-tells-daily-show-mentally-retarded-could-work-for-2-youre-worth-what-youre-worth/

One of my favorites quotes here:

“Did you ever go into a McDonald’s or Burger King?” he said. “I don’t really eat there, but they don’t seem desperate and hungry to me. They’re young kids, they seem to be enjoying themselves mostly.”

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: The work of a mentally retarded person is worth $2 an hour.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 03:12:35 pm »
Good Will Industries sneers at his 2 bucks an hour and shows their hole card; The Jack of Clubs, 17 cents per hour. Hrumph.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 03:32:25 pm »
Ok, I don't have time right now to look him up, but I'm calling Poe on this one. Some of the quotes from the article are just over-the-top ridiculous, like something you'd see in a bad comedy with a rich villain. "I do like the taste of the tears of poverty in my milkshake"? Really?

Additionally, while the Daily Show is highly informative, it is a comedy show, and they have been known to use satire in the past to make their point.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 03:58:05 pm »
Ok, I don't have time right now to look him up, but I'm calling Poe on this one. Some of the quotes from the article are just over-the-top ridiculous, like something you'd see in a bad comedy with a rich villain. "I do like the taste of the tears of poverty in my milkshake"? Really?

Additionally, while the Daily Show is highly informative, it is a comedy show, and they have been known to use satire in the past to make their point.

well ok the thing is  that yes, ONE of them is being a POE.

That doesn't' mean the other one is a POE
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 04:20:41 pm »
I really hope this is a Poe.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 04:31:20 pm »
The guy Samantha Bee interviewed was serious, as are all the morons who let themselves be interviewed without knowing who Samantha Bee or The Daily Show is. The "poverty tears in my milkshake" comment from Bee was edited into the raw interview later for comedic effect. It was a funny trolling stunt, not a Poe.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 07:31:31 pm »
I'll jump in here with a story I wanted to share with you all a while back, but forgot about.

So while I was hanging out at my friends house and we were having a cookout some of the other guys were talking about their jobs and a couple had jobs at a local grocery store. One of them mentioned how a mentally retarded guy had recently been hired there and how things hadn't been going the best with him. I asked what he meant by that and he explained that the guy had been hired somewhere between two weeks to a month prior(I forgot exactly how long) and that since then he had shit his pants at least seven times while on the job, and his pants usually had a visible brown stain on the ass of them. Keep in mind this is a grocery store, with food like fruits and vegetables sitting out. That's not the worst problem though. He had one at least one occasion made some comment to a black female coworker about how she didn't belong here, and had made several racist comments to customers before.  My friend who was telling me all this was appalled at some of the stuff he'd personally head the guy say, and mentioned how they couldn't really do anything about it because it's apparently illegal to fire a mentally retarded person for any reason, or at least these issues could be claimed as part of his disability and not be considered a valid reason to fire him.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 07:49:58 pm »
If your state is a "right to work" state, and I think it is, he can be fired, ADA or not, for repeated breach of conduct code (racist remarks, shit stains), if they even want to bother to give a reason at all.

At my last restaurant, we had to fire a pastry chef because he sometimes got shit-faced drunk on the job. He tried to challenge the dismissal citing ADA (which covers alcoholism and drug addictions, to a minor extent) with the state labor board. He failed. A stumbling drunk person with a terrible temper cannot be allowed to work in a kitchen that has knives, meat grinders, open flame grills, and raw food. Public safety trumps drunk bastard. Public safety plus civil rights to not be harassed about your race trumps mentally challenged guy's clueless antics.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 08:03:30 pm »
Yeah, having a mental disability is no excuse for being a jerk.  Chris-chan is ample proof of that.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 08:12:07 pm »
I'll jump in here with a story I wanted to share with you all a while back, but forgot about.

So while I was hanging out at my friends house and we were having a cookout some of the other guys were talking about their jobs and a couple had jobs at a local grocery store. One of them mentioned how a mentally retarded guy had recently been hired there and how things hadn't been going the best with him. I asked what he meant by that and he explained that the guy had been hired somewhere between two weeks to a month prior(I forgot exactly how long) and that since then he had shit his pants at least seven times while on the job, and his pants usually had a visible brown stain on the ass of them. Keep in mind this is a grocery store, with food like fruits and vegetables sitting out. That's not the worst problem though. He had one at least one occasion made some comment to a black female coworker about how she didn't belong here, and had made several racist comments to customers before.  My friend who was telling me all this was appalled at some of the stuff he'd personally head the guy say, and mentioned how they couldn't really do anything about it because it's apparently illegal to fire a mentally retarded person for any reason, or at least these issues could be claimed as part of his disability and not be considered a valid reason to fire him.

I can't imagine a guy who has visible fecal incontinence at a place which sells food who also makes racist comments can stay employed for long, with or without a mental disability.  At this point I can imagine the immediate supervisors of this person has tried to talk to him about personal hygiene and customer service and relations.  If this is a chain brand store, I can imagine that a paper trail may have been started on this guy so that if and when he is fired, they can beat a wrongful termination lawsuit.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 08:15:36 pm »
Yeah, having a mental disability is no excuse for being a jerk.  Chris-chan is ample proof of that.

I know what you meant, but to clarify, being mentally challenged is a very good excuse for ignorance; such persons are vulnerable to being "trained" as a racist, etc. by asshole relatives, since they essentially lack the intellect and education needed for independent critical or evaluative thinking. However, that excuse pales in value versus the right to not be harassed or infected with E. Coli.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 09:07:27 pm »
If your state is a "right to work" state, and I think it is, he can be fired, ADA or not, for repeated breach of conduct code (racist remarks, shit stains), if they even want to bother to give a reason at all.

At my last restaurant, we had to fire a pastry chef because he sometimes got shit-faced drunk on the job. He tried to challenge the dismissal citing ADA (which covers alcoholism and drug addictions, to a minor extent) with the state labor board. He failed. A stumbling drunk person with a terrible temper cannot be allowed to work in a kitchen that has knives, meat grinders, open flame grills, and raw food. Public safety trumps drunk bastard. Public safety plus civil rights to not be harassed about your race trumps mentally challenged guy's clueless antics.

My understanding of how these types of laws generally worked was that he would have had to be diagnosed with an addiction prior to dismissal otherwise he is just a recreational user and therefore not under any legal protection.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 03:03:22 pm »

My understanding of how these types of laws generally worked was that he would have had to be diagnosed with an addiction prior to dismissal otherwise he is just a recreational user and therefore not under any legal protection.

He actually was. He'd been arrested several times in years prior for DUI and assault, had his license suspended, and had been ordered into an alcohol recovery program, essentially AA meetings and counseling by county mental health therapists. His attempt to cite ADA for wrongful dismissal and also for wrongful denial of unemployment benefits failed under Georgia codes, as it is a "right to work" state, and because the ADA does not protect an addicted worker from on the job behavior, especially drinking or using on the job, that violates public health and safety. Drunk bastards who backslide and get drunk on the job, whose behavior threatens the safety of coworkers and customers, don't get a shield from being fired for that. Georgia disallows unemployment for anything other than layoffs or simple incompetence. No punitive dismissals will be allowed unemployment benefits. You can challenge, but if the state investigators agree the dismissal was justified as punitive, you are SOL. As happened with that pastry chef.