Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 274841 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #1155 on: May 09, 2015, 09:39:49 pm »
I haven't re-read LotR in ages, so I can't really judge.

For that matter, I have never read LotR in its original language. Should probably fix that.

...I would post something on topic, but I can't recall the last time I watched a movie. Trying to get someone to watch Age of Ultron with.
Σא

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1156 on: May 09, 2015, 09:55:10 pm »
I could certainly understand preferring the Lord of the Rings movies to the books. Those are some damn good movies. The Hobbit, on the other hand, not so much. Those movies were an utterly bloated and pants on head stupid mess.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #1157 on: May 10, 2015, 04:40:24 am »
Age of Ultron. I have so many questions, and most of them are "why do you ship that so hard, Joss?"
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #1158 on: May 10, 2015, 04:52:46 am »
While the Hobbit had its good moments (I enjoyed seeing dwarves kick ***, and Tauriel is hot!), I felt it dragged and had its ridiculous moments.  Overall, I preferred the book to the movies, though with LOTR, I preferred the movies to the books.

And I like all 6 Star Wars movies and have no problem watching the prequels.  They're not perfect, but I still enjoy them.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #1159 on: May 10, 2015, 06:13:12 am »
To me, the constant barrage of action in the second Hobbit movie just numbed me to it and made me bored. I didn't even bother going to the cinema to see the third one since having read the book and knowing the plot I knew it would just be worse. Based on the description I've heard from my friends who went to see it and the unofficial fan-made recut of the three films we watched a while ago I was right about that.

By the way, I can recommend the fan cut. I think some of the stuff they cut would have been worth keeping even if it wasn't in the book but overall it improves the rhythm a lot. It is a bit too long for one film but it confirms that the original crew should have told the story in two balanced movies, not three overblown action fests.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #1160 on: May 17, 2015, 04:19:27 pm »
Spooks: The Greater Good - OK, but no reason why it couldn't have been a TV special. Kit Harrington probably demands a chunk of money, but Tuppence Middleton probably didn't cost the Earth, and the action didn't either. So why the big release?

Mad Max: Fury Road - very good, if not quite the classic some reviews imply, although Tom "Not From Australia" Hardy and Charlize "Conneryesque Dedication to Accents" Theron deserve the plaudits. And whilst not a crippling issue, it's kinda weird how, in a world running out of fuel and water, there's a fuckload of fuel and water used. Age of Ultron had more water, but literally only because of the conspicuous presence of a lake. With all the Stark technology around, it probably used less gasoline/petrol too.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #1161 on: May 24, 2015, 11:18:25 pm »
Das Boot.  Truffaut said it was impossible to make a truly anti-war movie.  I'd say this masterpiece proves him wrong.

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #1162 on: May 25, 2015, 05:49:56 pm »
Das Boot.  Truffaut said it was impossible to make a truly anti-war movie.  I'd say this masterpiece proves him wrong.
I agree.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #1163 on: May 31, 2015, 01:34:32 pm »
Tomorrowland - I've had fair warning about the nonsensical ending to Lost, and seen the stupid endings to Prometheus and Star Trek Into Darkness by myself. So seeing another Damon Lindelof-written film, I shouldn't have been surprised at the sight of another great premise tumbling and barrel-rolling into a confused, nonsensical, dumb-to-the-point-of-anti-intellectual quagmire. What's the old American saying? "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me four times and, well, my wallet has thirty dollars, I've got a few cards, if you've got a pen and paper my phone and bank PINs are..."

Spring - maybe the best horror film I've ever seen. I mean, I don't watch a lot of horror - it's a weak endorsement, but still, it's innovative, it's moving, and even if the directors used an Italian setting for no other reason than gratuitous, sweeping helicopter shots of the coastline, it was still a good move.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #1164 on: June 04, 2015, 11:03:25 pm »
WolfCop! It was actually pretty great considering what it is. But it knows what it is and has a lot of fun with it.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #1165 on: June 13, 2015, 03:00:37 am »
It's too late to really do a full review of it (will post one later), but I really enjoyed Jurassic World despite my predictions that it would be horrible.

I know you're all anticipating my thoughts on it, and I will be sharing them sometime within the next few days.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #1166 on: June 13, 2015, 06:04:33 pm »
Looking forward to it.
Σא

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1167 on: June 13, 2015, 09:00:30 pm »
Kamen Rider Gaim x Kamen Rider Drive: Movie Wars Full Throttle.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #1168 on: June 16, 2015, 09:52:46 pm »
OK, Jurassic World.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 11:33:00 pm by Random Guy »

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #1169 on: June 19, 2015, 03:58:00 pm »
For my part, I felt Jurassic World was a horrible, underwritten mess which finally demonstrates that the whole Jurassic franchise should have stayed at one film. Apart from the lack of magic blood, it's pretty much an Orci/Kurtzmann level of ineptitude.