Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 275003 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #945 on: April 25, 2014, 03:24:22 am »
Bullet (no I didn't spell that wrong, it's a Danny Trejo film not the Steve McQueen one).

It was...well, shit.  I was expecting something like Machete but I was wrong.  As far as I could tell this film wasn't meant to be a cheesy, stupid, ott exploitation film homage/paradoy it was just shit.

It was poorly acted, had a lot of really weird eidting effects, there was a distinct lack of action and what action there was was stupid (and not in the fun 80s movie stupid kind of way, stupid in an incompetant kind of way) and the bad guys might be the most retarded villains in movie history.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 05:19:44 am by Katsuro »

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #946 on: April 25, 2014, 06:07:55 am »
Lego movie. SO GOOD

Captain America the Winter Soldier.

Loved it.

Just try not to think too hard about whether or not all those guys Cap punched/kicked so hard they flew several feet through the air all died slow painful deaths from the same sorts of injuries you get from being hit by a bus.  It'll only get in the way of Cap's heroic boy scout image.

Well, the MCU Captain America is nowhere close to his "boy scout" image from the old comics. Even in the first film he used guns and had few qualms about killing people, and he downright massacred sentient Chitauri in the Avengers and shot at Loki's human soldiers.

The MCU idea of the "All-American boy scout" is that he doesn't kill people who aren't trying to hurt him, innocents, or the good guys. He fights for justice and freedom and disapproves of trying to rule through fear or force. He's basically an old school idealist.

Yeah but if Cap has few qualms about killing bad guys then why doesn't he just use a gun all the time?  It'd make his job a lot easier.  Plus, I don't know this for a fact, but being shot to death is probably sucks a tiny bit less than being punched and kicked to death.  Not that either would be a painless, peaceful way to die.
I think it is mostly since Captain America fighting with just his shield is so iconic that changing it would anger the fans.

I also loved the movie, I think one of the best things about these new Marvel movies is the way the writers dare to use old comicbook characters but slightly updating or changing them. Whiplash and Batroc were silly enemies but in the movies they were made to be more intimidating and no longer just jokes. AIM was also reduced from a techno-cult to think tank and the Mandarin was changed greatly but that portrayal was just so perfect and provided a great plot twist so I just can't hate it. Some little things like using the name Jasper Sitwell were just so perfect. (In the Iron man comics Jasper Sitwell basically did what Agent Coulson does in the movies but was nerdier and more socially awkward.)

He's a shock troop. He's the dude you send in with the shotgun to kick down the door. When he can beat most people to death with a flick of a wrist, a gun would just get in the way, most of the time. Those other times, he uses a rifle like everyone else.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Art Vandelay

« Reply #947 on: April 29, 2014, 09:02:17 am »
Snakes on a Plane. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #948 on: April 29, 2014, 05:12:25 pm »
delightfully stupid?
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #949 on: April 29, 2014, 08:41:24 pm »
Precisely.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #950 on: April 30, 2014, 07:43:13 pm »
The original Highlander.  Good movie.  Shame about the sequels.  The film franchise is like catching herpes after a really good fuck.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #951 on: May 03, 2014, 11:36:04 pm »
The Black Death

For a movie I found in a bargin bin and Wal-Mart it was really good.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #952 on: May 13, 2014, 02:09:07 am »
The last films I've watched:

Saturday was Castle in the Sky, and Sunday was Kiki's Delivery Service. I loved both films, but I could be biased.

I was especially happy I have finally seen the latter as a whole since years ago when the Disney Channel still played random films I only caught the final parts of the film leading to the climax. The plot was boring, as it was one of the more romantic films (read: No Antagonist) from Studio Ghibli, but it was still a beautiful, charming feature that has been a special place in my heart for ever since.

I am especially delighted that I have physical copies of these films, as well as Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away (which I've seen a while ago and loved).

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #953 on: May 13, 2014, 06:40:02 pm »
Me and my roomie caught Winter Soldier on Sunday.  I was not disappointed!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #954 on: May 14, 2014, 06:04:46 am »
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

by the way...  we can't stop here! this is bat country!!

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #955 on: May 14, 2014, 06:00:00 pm »
The original Highlander.  Good movie.  Shame about the sequels.  The film franchise is like catching herpes after a really good fuck.

I've only seen that movie once, and I found it woefully overrated.

1) The reason the immortals are driven to kill each other is never explained.
2) The police woman being an expert on ancient swords, enough to write a rather thick book about them, is too convenient. That's not something you can pick up in your spare time. It would have made more sense if she worked at a museum or in antiquities and the police consulted her after finding the sword.
3) The fight choreography was...well...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXm6F-K6Ffo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXm6F-K6Ffo</a>
I've taken a single semester of college fencing and I could have ended any fight in that movie with a single thrust.
4) The scene of the Kurgan assembling his weapon is supposed to make him look badass. Unfortunately, in melee combat, having a weapon that comes apart easily is a MASSIVE liability, especially if one of the parts that disassembles is the main striking surface (in this case, the blade).
5) So, the reward for killing all the other immortals is that...you become mortal? What?
6) They have Sean Connery, the most Scottish man on the face of the Earth, playing an ancient Egyptian masquerading as a Spaniard and not even bothering with the accent. I could give the Egypt thing a pass for the sake of the narrative, but why not just say his current identity is as a Scotsman?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #956 on: May 14, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »
That's because he's Sean Fucking Connery. He plays it with a scottish accent whether he's an ancient Egyptian Spaniard, an English Secret Service Agent or a Russian Submarine Captain. And he does not give a fuck. Because he loves his voice and so does the rest of the world it seems.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #957 on: May 17, 2014, 02:46:38 pm »
Godzilla.

Not as good as the good reviews say, not as bad as the bad reviews say.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #958 on: May 18, 2014, 07:01:04 am »
Godzilla.

Not as good as the good reviews say, not as bad as the bad reviews say.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about it too.  IMO it could have used more monster fighting and less monster fight cock-teasing.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #959 on: May 22, 2014, 10:45:59 pm »
Having recently seen the 2014 Godzilla, I agree with what Katsuro said. None the less, I've enjoyed it but it wasn't as awesome as I wanted it to be...