Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 274942 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #930 on: April 11, 2014, 12:44:54 pm »
Well, you can compare the major fights in the movie. In the opening fight against the French terrorists, he's kicking guys hard enough to smash them overboard (hitting the railing hard enough to probably break their spine) and throwing knives at people's hands to stun them; at least a few of them were almost definitely killed, especially the ones who were kicked overboard with severe injuries, and the rest of the SHIELD agents were just shooting the guys. Cap clearly doesn't mind if they die.

But during the elevator fight, he's not trying to kill anyone and probably really doesn't WANT to kill the guys attacking him. He takes more strikes to defeat each individual and struggles more with them, indicating that he's pulling his punches so he doesn't just turn their brains to paste like he could.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #931 on: April 11, 2014, 03:06:24 pm »
He even gave them an out in the form of a pre-asskicking one-liner.

"Before we start, does anyone want to get off?"
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #932 on: April 12, 2014, 10:47:53 am »
But during the elevator fight, he's not trying to kill anyone and probably really doesn't WANT to kill the guys attacking him. He takes more strikes to defeat each individual and struggles more with them, indicating that he's pulling his punches so he doesn't just turn their brains to paste like he could.

True and soemthing I hadn't actually noticed; Cap is more than capable of kicking those guys right through the evlevator glass but he did not.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #933 on: April 12, 2014, 10:54:40 am »

True and soemthing I hadn't actually noticed; Cap is more than capable of kicking those guys right through the evlevator glass but he did not.
At that point he didn't know that they were Hydra agents. He knew there was something wrong with SHIELD but he didn't know how bad it was or how deep it went. For all he knew the STRIKE team might have been just working under orders and were otherwise decent SHIELD agents.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #934 on: April 12, 2014, 02:12:11 pm »

At that point he didn't know that they were Hydra agents. He knew there was something wrong with SHIELD but he didn't know how bad it was or how deep it went. For all he knew the STRIKE team might have been just working under orders and were otherwise decent SHIELD agents.

That's exactly it, in fact. The HYDRA corruption was 100% unknown to him at the time, and all he knew is that there was at least one mole in the agency. He was even buddies with Rumlow to some extent, at least in the sense of professional respect. Once he became aware that the guys he was fighting were actually bad guys (and not just misaligned good guys), you'll notice that he immediately stops pulling his punches and goes right back to killing.

I think the MCU Cap is actually a superior "boy scout" to many of the traditional depictions of Big Good superheroes, where they refuse point blank to kill. Steve acknowledges that it's not possible to non-lethally deal with every single obstacle or bad guy, and sometimes you have to take a life, directly or indirectly, to save innocent and good people. He won't have as much of a problem with the same bad guy getting Joker Immunity and coming back over and over to haunt him unless the decision is taken out of his hands. His Big Good reputation comes through in his idealism and desire to legitimately help people without harming other innocents in the process, and his refusal to let even the good guys rule through fear.

That's one of the things that annoyed me the most with Man of Steel: Superman tries so hard, at least on paper, not to kill anyone and has a meltdown when he has to kill Zod to save civilians. The thing is, he willingly engaged in combat that resulted in obscene amounts of destruction that almost definitely resulted in the deaths and maiming of scores of innocent people. He directly caused almost as much destruction as the bad guys and his high-speed fighting around Smallville and Metropolis likely had lots of casualties behind the scenes: shrapnel from explosions, high-speed debris from a Kryptonian getting thrown into a building, structures collapsing, etc. Then there's his destruction of livelihoods with his tendency to use anything in the environment as a weapon, wrecking homes and businesses and destroying property. But he shows zero care and never once acknowledges the sheer amount of devastation that he has personally caused, to the point of making out with Lois Lane in the middle of what resembles a nuclear apocalypse before realizing that Zod was still around. He only starts to care when he has to personally take someone's neck in his hands and break it.

In short, Man of Steel's Superman likely has some major mental disturbances even before the fighting started.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 02:19:47 pm by chitoryu12 »
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #935 on: April 21, 2014, 04:59:10 am »
Finally saw The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. I feel like the only person on the planet who thinks The Hobbit movies are shit.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #936 on: April 21, 2014, 07:14:14 am »
Silkwood. Just so good.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #937 on: April 21, 2014, 03:13:22 pm »
Last movie I've seen? Frozen. Really good Disney flick, that one.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #938 on: April 21, 2014, 05:15:09 pm »
Finally saw The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. I feel like the only person on the planet who thinks The Hobbit movies are shit.

Really? Quite a lot of people on the net seem to think they're shit.

But I like 'em :(

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #939 on: April 21, 2014, 09:48:03 pm »

Really? Quite a lot of people on the net seem to think they're shit.

But I like 'em :(

As do I, though I do wish the opening of "An Unexpected Journey" had matched up better with the opening of the extended edition of "Fellowship".

I watched "The Last Temptation of Christ" a few days ago. I'm tempted to start a thread about spiritual/religious movies that people particularly enjoy or dislike.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #940 on: April 24, 2014, 12:28:40 am »
The Hobbit films would in my honest opinion be better if they stuck to the book instead of do this Adaptation Expansion nonsense. I was pissed then when they were going to do a trilogy.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #941 on: April 24, 2014, 01:15:56 am »
I've just watched Boondock Saints again, and I'm about to watch Boondock Saints II.

Does anyone else watch vigilante themed movies?

If so, which ones?

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #942 on: April 24, 2014, 02:41:12 am »
I've just watched Boondock Saints again, and I'm about to watch Boondock Saints II.

Does anyone else watch vigilante themed movies?

If so, which ones?

Batman!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #943 on: April 24, 2014, 02:41:52 am »
The Hobbit films would in my honest opinion be better if they stuck to the book instead of do this Adaptation Expansion nonsense. I was pissed then when they were going to do a trilogy.

I've not read the books so I've zero attachment to them.  That probably makes things a bit easier.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #944 on: April 24, 2014, 03:03:23 am »
Definitely. The book, while certainly a bit sillier than The Lord of the Rings, wasn't anywhere near the cartoonishly pants-on-head level of stupid of the movies that even Arnold Schwarzenegger would find embarrassing.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:41:14 am by Art Vandelay »