Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 274834 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #825 on: January 06, 2014, 09:58:22 am »
Star Trek: Into Darkness.  Better than the last one, easily, and kinda makes me want to see a series set in the New Trek universe.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #826 on: January 06, 2014, 10:27:48 am »
Star Trek: Into Darkness.  Better than the last one, easily, and kinda makes me want to see a series set in the New Trek universe.

It would be good to wash away the bitter afer-taste of Enterprise.  I doubt it'll happen though 'coz I imagine that'd be one expensive-ass show.  Or if it did happen it's be disappointing because it couldn't live up to it's glossy movie brother.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #827 on: January 10, 2014, 12:42:14 am »
Youre next: awesome horror. Had cassie from home and away. Great actor, still painfully orange.

12 years a slave: very good, but everybody in it was either whispering, crying, groaning or yelling. I only got like...a quarter of the script
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #828 on: January 10, 2014, 03:52:25 am »
Youre next: awesome horror. Had cassie from home and away. Great actor, still painfully orange.

12 years a slave: very good, but everybody in it was either whispering, crying, groaning or yelling. I only got like...a quarter of the script

The thing that's put me off seeing it is that it seems like one of those obvious Oscar-bait movies (the release date adds to that enormously), and one whose Oscar baiting appears to be working.  I know it's irrational, but I just find that kind of annoying and it often turns me against a movie regardless of it's actual quality.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:44:59 am by Katsuro »

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #829 on: January 10, 2014, 05:41:58 am »
I only just discovered that term, oscar bait, yesterday. Of course i only knew what the oscars were like...two years ago, so pfft.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #830 on: January 13, 2014, 09:09:38 pm »
Just saw Frozen today.  FUCK DAMN, that movie is pretty!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #831 on: January 15, 2014, 10:09:55 pm »
I got Disney's Robin Hood on Blu Ray to go with my brand spanking new Blu Ray player.

...Damn I forgot how many boob/cleavage jokes were in this movie XD
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #832 on: January 15, 2014, 11:00:49 pm »

It's an addiction. Nobody who sees the movie is able to LET IT GO LET IT GOOOOOO
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #833 on: January 16, 2014, 04:46:06 am »

It's an addiction. Nobody who sees the movie is able to LET IT GO LET IT GOOOOOO

YOU'RE NOT HELPING!

*goes to listen AGAIN!*
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #834 on: January 16, 2014, 09:11:14 am »
I watched From Up on Poppy Hill(2011 in Japan, 2013 in North America) and The African Queen(1951) the other day.

From Up on Poppy Hill - Very enjoyable, it holds the standard I've more or less come to expect from Studio Ghibli, and the soundtrack is amazing! The inclusion of period-appropriate (1960s!) music helped. If I have one criticism I'd say it very quickly turns into an 80s film, if that makes sense. It kinda had the standard "a bunch of kids band together to save something" plot that I notice seemed to be popular in the 80s and 90s.

As for The African Queen, well, it's considered a classic for a reason. The acting is wonderful, the location is gorgeous, it even manages to be in colour! The accents are kinda silly sounding though, and I don't know who had the idea to try to pass Bogie off as a Canadian, but it... didn't work. I very much enjoyed this movie though. Still... they make a movie called "the African Queen", actually go to the trouble to film it in Africa, in Technicolor no less (I saw a picture of what the cameras used to look like, they're ENORMOUS)... and they make it about two white people. I can't help but feel there's a missed opportunity in there somewhere. Then again, it was adapted from a novel, so I dunno.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #835 on: January 16, 2014, 11:59:35 pm »
This is Spin̈al Tap

(Yes, I had to go with the umlaut 'n'. It's not working for these boards, like everything else for this unfortunate band)

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #836 on: January 19, 2014, 10:24:04 am »
Erm... I forgot. So, 2014 preview post.

Looking forward to:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - wasn't especially looking forward to it until the trailer. Throw in how Marvel Phase 2 has generally been brilliant and I'm all for it. Still two and a half months away though.
Transcendence - it keeps turning up everywhere I look, so it's nominally on the list.
Godzilla - can it be as bad as the '98 one? Probably, if we're honest.
X-Men: Days of Future Past - the X-Men films have threatened to get a lot better since they moved on from Magneto. He's a great villain, but for fuck's sake, there are others.
Edge of Tomorrow - I always thought Groundhog Day needed more shooting-
Jupiter Ascending - and that space opera films needed more wacky.
Interstellar - another one on the list, although I still know nothing at present.

Guaranteed to suck:

Amazing Spider-Man 2 - pointlessly carried-over subplots, lacklustre first film, 273 villains, the kind of furious backtracking on details (e.g. costume design) that shows how little faith the studio has - what could go wrong?

Laugh at Box-Office Numbers:

Atlas Shrugged Part III - it's a commercial shruggernaut.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #837 on: January 19, 2014, 06:01:04 pm »
Laugh at Box-Office Numbers:

Atlas Shrugged Part III - it's a commercial shruggernaut.

Lol...for a bunch of guys who claim to worship the free market, they sure don't get the hint:  the free market has spoken.  Nobody wants to see your crapass movies based on a crapass book.
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #838 on: January 19, 2014, 06:11:39 pm »
Olympus Has Fallen.

It was dumb, really really dumb.  And not in the good way.  Plus, the CGI FX were Assylum levels of terrible.  Mind you, taking the piss out of it with my brother was quite good fun.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #839 on: January 19, 2014, 06:24:05 pm »
Olympus Has Fallen.

It was dumb, really really dumb.  And not in the good way.  Plus, the CGI FX were Assylum levels of terrible.  Mind you, taking the piss out of it with my brother was quite good fun.

Sweet Jesus, that movie. It's a perfect example of how to make a movie: do the opposite of what it does, every time.

According to IMDB, they even had the doctors in the DC hospital scenes wearing scrubs with the prominent logo of the hospital in Louisiana where they filmed. It was made dumb.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.