Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 275379 times)

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
Re: Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #390 on: January 17, 2013, 12:56:34 am »
A LITTLE GLASS VIAL!

On topic, just finished watching Paranorman, it was amazing!

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #391 on: January 22, 2013, 04:29:46 am »
Beetlejuice. One of my favorite movies.

I hear they're working on a sequel.  :P
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline That Guy

• Bishop
« Reply #392 on: January 24, 2013, 09:33:08 pm »
A LITTLE GLASS VIAL!

On topic, just finished watching Paranorman, it was amazing!
It is!  ;D

Movies I've watched recently but haven't posted about in here.. :P

V/H/S
It sucks, mostly.  A couple good segments but...strong meh vibes from this one.

Pinocchio's Revenge
This sucks too, but in a so-bad-it's-hilarious way, so I liked it.

The Frighteners
Awesome!  That scene near the end freaked me out when I was a kid, and it still kinda does now for some reason (what happens to the bad guys).

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #393 on: January 24, 2013, 09:37:57 pm »
In the past few days, I've watched the following:

Looper
Ted
The Adjustment Bureau
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #394 on: January 24, 2013, 10:41:36 pm »
A couple of nights ago I watched this movie about Ted Bondy.

It was interesting to say the least.

(click to show/hide)

Last night I watched The Runaways. Which was surprisingly pretty good.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #395 on: January 25, 2013, 12:50:03 am »
I watched Argo recently.

It was... okay. The plot was interesting enough (and based on real events, to boot) but the characters themselves fell epically flat. Ben Affleck was good as a director, but simply atrocious as an actor. I'm sorry, but there's a difference between maintaining a professional demeanor while on the job and stubbornly refusing to show any hint that you may be something other than an animatronic puppet even while talking to your own wife and son. The only ones that were even remotely interesting to me were the media moguls in Hollywood, and they were just there to expedite the plot and serve as comic relief (i.e., "Argo fuck yourself!").

Frankly the film made me a little bit uncomfortable in its portrayal of Iranians as well. The only named Iranian character in the film is a Muslim housekeeper under pressure to betray the hiding Americans to the Iranian police. She's the token "good Muslim," because she doesn't betray the heroes in the end. Every other Iranian is a scary, rude, greasy brown man with a beard, and they are almost always screaming, violent political fanatics. They are meant to make the audience feel uncomfortable and view them as an Other. I thought this guy did a good job of summing it up. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/film/jian-ghomeshi-argo-is-crowd-pleasing-entertaining-and-unfair-to-iranians/article4855769/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:55:07 am by Wykked Wytch »
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #396 on: January 25, 2013, 11:43:28 am »
Inspired by Ted, I watched the 1980 version of Flash Gordon last night.

I now have full comprehension of the phrase "So bad it's good."
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #397 on: January 25, 2013, 02:07:48 pm »
To be fair, I find most of the versions of Flash Gordon, which includes the old timey serials and TV shows(of what I've seen) to be "So bad it's good". Also Flash Gordon is the inspiration for Star Wars, and at one point, Lucas wanted to direct a movie version of Flash Gordon, but couldn't get the rights to it

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #398 on: January 25, 2013, 04:40:31 pm »
Frankly the film made me a little bit uncomfortable in its portrayal of Iranians as well. The only named Iranian character in the film is a Muslim housekeeper under pressure to betray the hiding Americans to the Iranian police. She's the token "good Muslim," because she doesn't betray the heroes in the end. Every other Iranian is a scary, rude, greasy brown man with a beard, and they are almost always screaming, violent political fanatics. They are meant to make the audience feel uncomfortable and view them as an Other.

This isn't the first time I've heard this argument, and I haven't seen the film, but: wouldn't almost every Iranian who was pro-American during the Revolution have been either keeping their head down or fleeing the country?

The Ghomeshi article seems to miss the point slightly; the film isn't about the Revolution per se, it's about the escape-by-fake-Zelazny-adaptation trick by the Americans. Of course, this just means that Argo falls into another one of Hollywood's problems, namely that it can't make any historical/period drama without focusing incessantly on Americans or white people.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #399 on: January 25, 2013, 06:47:42 pm »
Last night I watched Lost Boys for the first time in almost ten years.  It's just as great as I remember it ;D

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #400 on: January 25, 2013, 08:28:07 pm »
ThanksKilling 3, the sequel to ThanksKilling. So fucking horrible, the first one was intentionally bad and was very funny. This is just plain bad and painfully unfunny. How the fuck can you have a far larger budget and make a far worse movie?

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #401 on: January 25, 2013, 09:39:23 pm »
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows(2011)

Offline That Guy

• Bishop
« Reply #402 on: January 25, 2013, 10:29:21 pm »
The Possession.
"It wasn't just a fight, IT WAS VIOLENT!"  This movie was silly.  Very, very silly.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #403 on: January 26, 2013, 05:22:43 pm »
Frankly the film made me a little bit uncomfortable in its portrayal of Iranians as well. The only named Iranian character in the film is a Muslim housekeeper under pressure to betray the hiding Americans to the Iranian police. She's the token "good Muslim," because she doesn't betray the heroes in the end. Every other Iranian is a scary, rude, greasy brown man with a beard, and they are almost always screaming, violent political fanatics. They are meant to make the audience feel uncomfortable and view them as an Other.

This isn't the first time I've heard this argument, and I haven't seen the film, but: wouldn't almost every Iranian who was pro-American during the Revolution have been either keeping their head down or fleeing the country?

The Ghomeshi article seems to miss the point slightly; the film isn't about the Revolution per se, it's about the escape-by-fake-Zelazny-adaptation trick by the Americans. Of course, this just means that Argo falls into another one of Hollywood's problems, namely that it can't make any historical/period drama without focusing incessantly on Americans or white people.

Yep, pretty much. We only get a small side note at the very end of the film that the housekeeper escaped to Iraq. But throughout the film we really don't get an idea of what's going through her head, or how she views the conflict from her own perspective.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #404 on: January 27, 2013, 03:35:15 am »
Today I watched Hitchcock, which was great!